"Your Arsenal" re-issue reviews - Q (4/5), Mojo (4/5), Uncut (9/10), Daily Express

Great stuff. Thanks for posting that. Interesting that the often Moz-baiting Harris notes that "2014 arguably finds Morrissey's esteem at an all-time high..."

it was awesome when it came out, it remains so :guitar:
I love many tracks on it, but one shall endure for centuries:
I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday

PHP:
Obviously barleycorns meds are working at the moment and what he thinks of as his intellectual side of his split personality is in charge, but not to worry I'm sure the hate- filled, foaming at the mouth, raving lunatic will be back soon

Shouldn't you be busy tonguing Acton's ring-piece, Milhouse? You are remiss in your duty. Must do better. Slurp!

-------------------------

You can tell the really clever singers and songwriters. They speak through their music and lyrics, and although you could hazard a decent guess at their views, they are not silly enough to talk about it openly.

Has Dylan ever distilled his opinions as well as he did in "The Times They Are A-Changing" or "Masters Of War"? No, he hasn't. Being a bona fide giant of the genre he leaves it at that. Has Morrissey ever distilled his opinion as well as he did in the title tracks of Meat Is Murder and The Queen Is Dead? No, he hasn't. Yet he runs his mouth off constantly. In Morrissey's defence I suppose Dylan is not as desperate for column inches as Morrissey, and does not feel, correctly, that he has anything further to prove.

I suspect I know what happens to these less bright troubadours. For years these people, by which I mean successful people in the field of the arts, are asked what they think on a range of issues. A few earnestly answer. For the purposes of this post, we shall call them "the idiots".

The idiots answer and the journo, being starstruck/nice/sycophantic/daft as they are/desperate to get away, nod and agree and tell you how clever you are and tell you how your latest album, which with some great misplaced portent you have entitled "The Messenger" or "Ringleader of What-the-f***" because you have a God complex and Sermon On The Mount has been taken already, is the best thing in the history of the world ever. When it isn't.

After a while you might well start to think, "Wow. I only got one O-level in home economics, and I just thought I could strum a guitar and hum a melody, but it now appears I'm brilliant across the board. Everyone I talk to agrees with me. The world must not be deprived of my opinion on anything whatsoever."

Write some decent songs, you dopes. It's what I pay you for.

My Love Life is better than anything on Your Arsenal. Builds up a dubious argument and then smashes it to pieces with that.

btw the way these people with quiffs and tattoos, this gang, are the same people that played on My Love Life. The producer is all that changed. Cretin.

btw the way these people with quiffs and tattoos, this gang, are the same people that played on My Love Life. The producer is all that changed. Cretin.

Actually, they aren't. The information printed on the single sleeves for both 'My Love Life' and 'Pregnant For the Last Time' is incorrect, probably because Moz was trying to build the myth of his new touring band at the time.

The actual band playing on the 'My Love Life' single are Mark Nevin (guitars), Mark Bedford (bass), and Andrew Paresi (drums).

PHP:

Shouldn't you be busy tonguing Acton's ring-piece, Milhouse? You are remiss in your duty. Must do better. Slurp!

You can tell the really clever singers and songwriters. They speak through their music and lyrics, and although you could hazard a decent guess at their views, they are not silly enough to talk about it openly.

Has Dylan ever distilled his opinions as well as he did in "The Times They Are A-Changing" or "Masters Of War"? No, he hasn't. Being a bona fide giant of the genre he leaves it at that. Has Morrissey ever distilled his opinion as well as he did in the title tracks of Meat Is Murder and The Queen Is Dead? No, he hasn't. Yet he runs his mouth off constantly. In Morrissey's defence I suppose Dylan is not as desperate for column inches as Morrissey, and does not feel, correctly, that he has anything further to prove.

I suspect I know what happens to these less bright troubadours. For years these people, by which I mean successful people in the field of the arts, are asked what they think on a range of issues. A few earnestly answer. For the purposes of this post, we shall call them "the idiots".

The idiots answer and the journo, being starstruck/nice/sycophantic/daft as they are/desperate to get away, nod and agree and tell you how clever you are and tell you how your latest album, which with some great misplaced portent you have entitled "The Messenger" or "Ringleader of What-the-f***" because you have a God complex and Sermon On The Mount has been taken already, is the best thing in the history of the world ever. When it isn't.

After a while you might well start to think, "Wow. I only got one O-level in home economics, and I just thought I could strum a guitar and hum a melody, but it now appears I'm brilliant across the board. Everyone I talk to agrees with me. The world must not be deprived of my opinion on anything whatsoever."

Of course, Morrissey could always take a leaf out of your book and not even wait to be asked. :D

PHP:

Barleycorn you've made me so seethingly mad I am now forced to watch Braveheart and Michael Collins on auto replay until the weekend, at which point I will try to fit into my Hitler Youth outfit and organise the true liberation of this Emerald Isle from the heathen usurpers such as yourself. If I ever bump into you while cutting turf in the bog I'll make sure you have a fitting shallow grave so you can be converted into useful turf, or perhaps briquettes.

Barleycorn you've made me so seethingly mad I am now forced to watch Braveheart and Michael Collins on auto replay until the weekend, at which point I will try to fit into my Hitler Youth outfit and organise the true liberation of this Emerald Isle from the heathen usurpers such as yourself. If I ever bump into you while cutting turf in the bog I'll make sure you have a fitting shallow grave so you can be converted into useful turf, or perhaps briquettes.

Well, I wouldn't wish Braveheart on anyone, Acton, especially a fine fellow such as yourself, whose avatar alone tells me is a sound chap.

It's undoubtedly true both the English and later the British state did some terrible things on the island of Ireland. On the plus side you got Celtic and some very beautiful songs.

Stewart Lee takes his life in his hands in Glasgow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, they aren't. The information printed on the single sleeves for both 'My Love Life' and 'Pregnant For the Last Time' is incorrect, probably because Moz was trying to build the myth of his new touring band at the time.

The actual band playing on the 'My Love Life' single are Mark Nevin (guitars), Mark Bedford (bass), and Andrew Paresi (drums).

Next you'll be telling me they didn't play on The Loop, That's Entertainment, Pregnant for the Last Time or Skin Storm all which came out beforehand.

Boz Boorer does at least. By the way how many of the backing band actually had tattoos?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I wouldn't wish Braveheart on anyone, Acton, especially a fine fellow such as yourself, whose avatar alone tells me is a sound chap.

It's undoubtedly true both the English and later the British state did some terrible things on the island of Ireland. On the plus side you got Celtic and some very beautiful songs.

look i'm very tolerant, but no stuart lee. okay?

Thanks Johnny, I'm glad we buried the axe safely in each other. If truth be told I make an attack and usually regret it approx. 1 minute later. Ah well an own goal is still a goal. I do like my avatar and have the Steve Austin action man by my bed in case I need his one plastic eye. How amazed I once was back around 2003 when I ventured into a Star Wars original props exhibition in the Edinburgh museum, only to notice yet another Steve Austin action man behind the wheel of Skywalker's hover car. Plexiglass saved him from me. Which is a long winded way of saying I harbour no ill will towards the UK, having suffered the bruises myself of loving British music when everyone else was blinded by U2 and other bands that have undeservedly achieved world domination. On yet another tangent: does anyone here like Pixies? I have a ticket for their Cork gig in June and am damn well looking forward to it.
Truly yours.

Next you'll be telling me they didn't play on The Loop, That's Entertainment, Pregnant for the Last Time or Skin Storm all which came out beforehand.

The musicians on those songs were Mark Nevin (guitars), Boz Boorer (guitar) Johnny Bridgwood (bass), and Andrew Paresi (drums).

The first time 'The Lads' lineup of Boz, Alain, Spencer and Gary actually appear on record is 'Your Arsenal' (or the 'We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful' single, if you really want to get picky).

Really, all this info has been out there for some time. Just because the record sleeve says one thing, it's not ALWAYS factually correct. Even the credits for 'Your Arsenal' are not 100% correct (no mention of the fact that 'I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday' was produced by Mark Nevin whilst Mick Ronson was ill and away from the studio, for example, or that he constructed that minute-long intro that leads into the song).

The musicians on those songs were Mark Nevin (guitars), Boz Boorer (guitar) Johnny Bridgwood (bass), and Andrew Paresi (drums).

The first time 'The Lads' lineup of Boz, Alain, Spencer and Gary actually appear on record is 'Your Arsenal' (or the 'We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful' single, if you really want to get picky).

Really, all this info has been out there for some time. Just because the record sleeve says one thing, it's not ALWAYS factually correct. Even the credits for 'Your Arsenal' are not 100% correct (no mention of the fact that 'I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday' was produced by Mark Nevin whilst Mick Ronson was ill and away from the studio, for example, or that he constructed that minute-long intro that leads into the song).

In my experience, with Moz, just beacuse the record sleeve says one thing it's NEVER factually correct! He must be one of the worst artists for recording personnel inaccuracies & omissions; even now, 20+ years on, with 'Your Arsenal' I never knew that Mick Ronson played the sublime guitar on 'Seasick, Yet Still Docked' until the press release for the DM version told me so.

In my experience, with Moz, just beacuse the record sleeve says one thing it's NEVER factually correct! He must be one of the worst artists for recording personnel inaccuracies & omissions; even now, 20+ years on, with 'Your Arsenal' I never knew that Mick Ronson played the sublime guitar on 'Seasick, Yet Still Docked' until the press release for the DM version told me so.

It's not clear from the press release as to which guitar part Mick Ronson played on "Seasick, Yet Still Docked". He may have just played some accoustic guitar rather than the beautiful sepia tinged top line. Having heard the demo version of the song there isn't much difference between the two (I suppose Ronson could have played on both). So even when Morrissey tries to clarify things, we are no nearer to who played what and when.

It's not clear from the press release as to which guitar part Mick Ronson played on "Seasick, Yet Still Docked". He may have just played some accoustic guitar rather than the beautiful sepia tinged top line. Having heard the demo version of the song there isn't much difference between the two (I suppose Ronson could have played on both). So even when Morrissey tries to clarify things, we are no nearer to who played what and when.

For me, every guitar part on it is sublime, but I take your point. And thank you for the perfect description of that "beautiful sepia tinged top line" :thumb:

I remember having something akin to an out-of-body experience as I zoned in on that guitar line on headphones, full volume, late night, back in a haunted Bath flat in '92. Thought I'd found the answer to life, love & the universe. The drugs worked so much better then.

Christ I sound like a f***ing Dead hippy :confused:

Great user name by the by.

Are you refering to a demo version or the alternate take that was once considered to be included in a reissue of Your Arsenal Ca. 2004 or 2005????

The first time the lads appeared on record was Live at KROQ, now that knowledge really is old hat. No mention of the clarinet(?) on That's Entertainment, I presume that was Boz.

btw i may well have known your fact once, but it was all over twenty years ago, when i was 16.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyYKnUELrI8
just for good measure

Are you refering to a demo version or the alternate take that was once considered to be included in a reissue of Your Arsenal Ca. 2004 or 2005????

I am almost certain that it was the alternate/guide studio version rather than Alain Whyte's home demo.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom