Your favorite live lyric change

Similar2Sunday

What are your favorite Morrissey lyric changes in a live performance?

I have a few favorites, but I especially like the change in How Soon is Now to "you could meet somebody who can actually stand you" as performed in 2008-2009.

So many as well, but these are two of my favorites I heard live.

“I still love you, oh I still love you, only slightly more than I used to” in Stop Me...” in 2015.

“I grabbed you by the Heinz baked beans” in “I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish” in 2017.

Last edited:
"As the flames rose to her roman nose and her iPod started to melt" in "Bigmouth Strikes Again" in 2004 and 2016.

What are your favorite Morrissey lyric changes in a live performance?

I have a few favorites, but I especially like the change in How Soon is Now to "you could meet somebody who can actually stand you" as performed in 2008-2009.

Fave is when in Bigmouth, he sings "I wasn't joking when I said I'd like to smash every tooth in your head"

I love Johnny referring to himself in live versions of Bigmouth - "Now I know how Johnny Marr felt..."

I never cared for the lyric changes. I don't think I have any favorites but I always especially detested the "screw you" line in Hairdresser.

Come to think of it I did find it funny when he said "you had to sneak into my room just to play Your Arsenal."

OK wait, no, there was one lyric change I really do love which is in Seasick, at Coachella '09, when he said, "you must be such a fool -or very wise- to pass me by."

That should have been in the studio version....brilliant.

The screw you sounds hilarious because of the next change, « I felt quite happy for you ».

I never cared for the lyric changes. I don't think I have any favorites but I always especially detested the "screw you" line in Hairdresser.

Come to think of it I did find it funny when he said "you had to sneak into my room just to play Your Arsenal."

OK wait, no, there was one lyric change I really do love which is in Seasick, at Coachella '09, when he said, "you must be such a fool -or very wise- to pass me by."

That should have been in the studio version....brilliant.

I agree that a lot of the lyric changes are not great because he has a horrible habit of removing the subtelty and cleverness of the lyrics... Like 'she said I know you and you cannot sing / I said of course I can you silly thing'. Kind of funny purely because of how unexpected it is, but the original line is far better.

I actually hate it when he changes the lyrics.

and makes all the Kermit the frog sounds

I don’t mind a clever lyric change here and there but I agree 100% on the Kermit the frog noises! Ugh! I hate that so much.

I love Johnny referring to himself in live versions of Bigmouth - "Now I know how Johnny Marr felt..."

What does he mean?

Do you think it’s a veiled reference to him breaking up the Smiths?

someone noted on an old thread on this topic that live lyric changes tend to add a (usually humorous) sexual element ("when he said i'm gonna screw you" in Hairdresser, "I've heard that you'll try anyone twice" in Let Me Kiss You, "please, please, please, let me have who I want this time"). or they tend to be changes from positive to negative ("take the difficult way and give in to me" in The More You Ignore Me and "I felt quite happy for you" in Hairdresser).

Aylesbury Leisure Centre 1999 during Tomorrow he changed "All I ask of you' to "I've got two testicles"

I miss those days

"All alone...lone...alone, waiting at the lights
But not this time"

changing to:
"A plastic bag ________ at the lights,
this once was me"

(kinda hard to get the verb he uses... maybe "stranded", but it's hard to tell. I love the plastic bag though.

Back
Top Bottom