- Boy George looking for Morrissey's number (Q Magazine) - Morrissey-solo (July 20, 2001)
- Boy George on Morrissey's dislike of swishing - Morrissey-solo (Feb. 4, 2001)
- Boy George's Attitude - Morrissey-solo (July 5, 1999)
English singer, songwriter, producer, DJ, and fashion designer born 14 June 1961 in Eltham, Kent, England. Lead singer of Culture Club and Jesus Loves You.
George Alan O'Dowd (born 14 June 1961), known professionally as Boy George, is an English singer, songwriter and DJ. Best known for his soulful voice and his androgynous appearance, Boy George has been the lead singer of the pop band Culture Club since the group's formation in 1981. He began his solo career in 1987. Boy George's music is often classified as blue-eyed soul, which is influenced by rhythm and blues and reggae. Boy George grew up in Eltham and was part of the New Romantic movement which emerged in the late 1970s to early 1980s. His look and style of fashion was greatly inspired by glam rock pioneers David Bowie and Marc Bolan. He formed the Culture Club with Roy Hay, Mikey Craig and Jon Moss in 1981. The band's second album Colour by Numbers (1983) sold more than 10 million copies worldwide. Their hit singles include "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me", "Time (Clock of the Heart)", "I'll Tumble 4 Ya", "Church of the Poison Mind", "Karma Chameleon", "Victims", "Miss Me Blind", "It's a Miracle", "The War Song", "Move Away" and "I Just Wanna Be Loved". Boy George was the lead singer of Jesus Loves You between 1989 and 1992. He has performed with Culture Club in reunion shows since 1998, and began his career as a DJ in the late 1990s. Outside of music, Boy George has been involved in many activities, among them songwriting, DJing, writing books, designing clothes and photography. He has also made several appearances in television, most recently appearing as a contestant on the 22nd UK series of I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! in November 2022, eventually finishing in 8th place. As a solo artist, Boy George has released nine studio albums, five compilation albums and forty-eight singles. He has also released seven DJ albums, three EPs and a soundtrack album. His solo hit songs include "Everything I Own", "Bow Down Mister", "Generations of Love" and "Love Is Leaving". He was featured as a vocalist on the 1984 charity song "Do They Know It's Christmas?" and was the last artist featured on the song to record his lines. Boy George's music features several genres, including pop, new wave, soul, soft rock, disco and reggae. He has received several awards as a solo artist and as a member of Culture Club. In 2002, he was voted 46th in a BBC poll of the 100 Greatest Britons. In 2015, Boy George received an Ivor Novello Award from the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors for Outstanding Services to British Music.
Related Forum Threads
- Boy George mentions The Smiths on Twitter - Morrissey-solo (Jul 18, 2016)
- Boy George on Morrissey - Build - Morrissey-solo (Dec 20, 2018)
- Morrissey - now managed by Madonna’s manager? (Boy George tweet) (UPDATE Sep. 17: confirmed Quest Artist Management / Instagram, since Aug. 2021) - Morrissey-solo (Sep 16, 2021)
- NME: "Does Rock ‘N’ Roll Kill Braincells?! - Boy George" - Morrissey mentions (November 20, 2020) - Morrissey-solo (Nov 22, 2020)