The Morrissey-solo Wiki is a continual work in progress, most of the data still needs to be populated. See the To Do page if you want to help.
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get (single)
|Name||The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get|
|Release||28 February 28 1994|
|Art work||Whores In Retirement|
|Vinyl Etching||No matrix message|
|Format(s)||7" Vinyl, 12" Vinyl, CD|
|Chart position||UK #8|
Certain People I Know|
The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get
→Hold On To Your Friends
There is a US remix (3:47) of this track, although not circulated.
The main distributor was Parlophone, but it was available via Sire/Reprise (USA) and EMI/Parlophone (Australia).
[Parlophone – R 6372]
12" Vinyl, CD
[Parlophone – 12R 6372, Parlophone – CDR 6372]
The more you ignore me, the closer I get You're wasting your time The more you ignore me, the closer I get You're wasting your time
I will be in the bar With my head on the bar I am now a central part Of your mind's landscape Whether you care or do not
Yeah, I've made up your mind The more you ignore me, the closer I get You're wasting your time The more you ignore me, the closer I get You're wasting your time
Beware! I bear more grudges than lonely high court judges When you sleep I will creep into your thoughts Like a bad debt that you can't pay Take the easy way and give in Yeah, and let me in Let me in, let me, Let me in
IT'S WAR It's war It's war It's war It's war, war, war, war, war
Let me in The closer I get You're asking for it The closer I get The closer I...
- Directed by Mark Romanek
Play count (Morrissey concert): 91
Morrissey live history:
- Albuquerque, New Mexico 1997-10-24 (Morrissey concert)
- Ann Arbor, Michigan 1997-09-24 (Morrissey concert)
- Asbury Park, New Jersey 2004-10-07 (Morrissey concert)
- Atlanta, Georgia 2004-10-22 (Morrissey concert)
- Birmingham, England 1995-02-11 (Morrissey concert)
- Birmingham, England 2004-12-14 (Morrissey concert)
- Blackpool, England 1995-02-08 (Morrissey concert)
- Boise, Idaho 2000-02-05 (Morrissey concert)
- Boston, Massachusetts 1997-09-14 (Morrissey concert)
- Boston, Massachusetts 2004-10-04 (Morrissey concert)
- Greatest Hits
- Introducing Morrissey
- Live At Earls Court
- Suedehead: The Best Of Morrissey
- The CD Singles '91–95'
- The HMV/Parlophone Singles '88–'95
- The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get (single)
- Vauxhall And I
- Very Best Of Morrissey
- ¡Oye Esteban!
- ¡The Best Of! Morrissey
- Design - Greg Ross
- Engineer - Chris Dickie
- Engineer [Assistant] - Danton Supple
- Photography By - Linder Sterling
- Producer - Steve Lillywhite
- Sleeve - Whores In Retirement
A sticker on the sleeve reads: Limited Edition Numbered 12" with free poster 12R 6372.
Numbered release (printed on the back).
Came with a 30" X 20" fold out poster (as per sticker on sleeve).
Printed in UK [sleeve].
Catalog number 7243 8 81144 6 2 on sleeve. Catalog number 12R 6372 on sticker and labels.
Tracks A and B2 published by Warner Chappell Music Ltd / Copyright Control. Track B1 published by Warner Chappell Music Ltd / Sony Music Publishing.
℗ 1994 The Copyright in this sound recording is owned by EMI Records Ltd. © 1994 EMI Records Ltd.
- The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get - Discogs master release: https://www.discogs.com/master/5471
- The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get (12" 45 RPM Single Limited Edition Numbered) - Discogs release: https://www.discogs.com/release/1520598-Morrissey-The-More-You-Ignore-MeCloser-I-Get
Discogs information (additional release)
Made in the UK. Custom cardsleeve with photo used on CD only here. Only other appearance on an official release is the 7" promo.
Disc has old fashioned Parlophone label. Custom orange and black print.
- The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get (Single Promo) - Discogs release: https://www.discogs.com/release/2762417-Morrissey-The-More-You-Ignore-MeCloser-I-Get
"The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get" is a song by Morrissey, co-written by Boz Boorer released as a single on 28 February 1994. It was taken from the then-unreleased Vauxhall and I album and was the first Morrissey single to be produced by Steve Lillywhite. The extra B-side "I'd Love To." features Kirsty MacColl on backing vocals. Reaching number eight on the UK Singles Chart, the single became Morrissey's first top-ten hit since "Interesting Drug" in 1989. It is also Morrissey's only charting single on the US Billboard Hot 100, reaching number 46, and it became his second and most recent Modern Rock Tracks number-one hit. The song also reached the top 50 in Canada, France and Ireland. It was most successful in Iceland, where it reached number two for three weeks.
Related Forum Threads
- Morrissey A-Z: "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get" - Morrissey-solo (Sep 12, 2021)