Dexys - No Moz

J

Johnny

Got to the gig and last night and what can I say ? Moz and Smiths apart it was one of the best gigs I have ever attended.
The setting was the rather gentrified Glasgow Pavillion. Very historic. The only time I had ever seen another band perform there it was,ironicallyu enough,also Dexys.

It was a wet,windy night and reading reviews of the Portsmouth gig(only 300-400 crowd) I was fearing the worst. I needn't.

The place went wild,it was packed ,Rowland was visibly moved at the reception and the music was brilliant.

I know a few of you are catching them as the tour heads South again so have a great night. It was a memorable experience.

J

> I know a few of you are catching them as the tour heads South again so
> have a great night. It was a memorable experience.

As I heard from reporters on the spot last night!! I shall try and get them on Thursday night at Manc Academy.. Deliberating about touting it.. have no ticket, but hope I can blag my way in some way. I look forward to it.. What was the set? Hope lots of soulful stuff from 'Searching for TYSR..'

And people hark on about B&S.. this is the BIG music (as the Waterboys once opined)

Soul Rebels united..
Ruffian

> As I heard from reporters on the spot last night!! I shall try and get
> them on Thursday night at Manc Academy.. Deliberating about touting it..
> have no ticket, but hope I can blag my way in some way. I look forward to
> it.. What was the set? Hope lots of soulful stuff from 'Searching for
> TYSR..'

> And people hark on about B&S.. this is the BIG music (as the Waterboys
> once opined)

> Soul Rebels united..
> Ruffian

Hi Ruff,

I'm sure you'll get a ticket on the door.He mainly played from "Stand Me Down" which to me is the best Dexys album.
"Geno" (extended version) "Tell Me When Me When My Light Turns Green" I think there was one more but the title escapes me,from SFTYSL

"Until I Believe In My Soul","Let's make This Precious","Liars A to E" and.....THAT OTHER SONG from "Too Rye Ay"...
"My National Pride",I Love You(Listen To This",from DSMD and they closed with an amazing version of my favourite Dexys song " This Is What She's Like".

Mick Talbot(former Style Council) was on keyborads. I saw him playing live with Gene and he really adds to the sound.

Oh....and for a man of your legendary sexual prowess Ruff there is a fiddle player called Lucy Morgan who I am SURE would keep you...erm....interested

Keep The Faith...

J

> Oh....and for a man of your legendary sexual prowess Ruff there is a
> fiddle player called Lucy Morgan who I am SURE would keep
> you...erm....interested

Great review.. is Lucy stage left or right.. just so I can reposition myself strategically! I don't wanna come on eileen after all.
Ruffian

> Great review.. is Lucy stage left or right.. just so I can reposition
> myself strategically! I don't wanna come on eileen after all.
> Ruffian

She's stage right Ruff.Mick Talbot is stage left. I know which one I'd choose

> She's stage right Ruff.Mick Talbot is stage left. I know which one I'd
> choose

Yea stage left

I might catch 'em when they come to Leicester.

> She's stage right Ruff.Mick Talbot is stage left. I know which one I'd
> choose

Cynical of me to say it though.. but the tickets are top dollar aren't they.. 25 quid for a retro band.. hmm.,. Rowland must be coining it for a change.

Still, keeps the students away.. so should have a better chgance of getting in on the door.. what time did they take the stage, and finish?

Ruffian

What was the general reaction to 'Come on Eileen', J ? Were there a load of people who love it and were maybe even shouting for it? Or were the majority grumpy old curmudgeons like you and Bluebles?
Some questions I know, but I AM really interested in the crowd's reaction to it.

> Cynical of me to say it though.. but the tickets are top dollar aren't
> they.. 25 quid for a retro band.. hmm.,. Rowland must be coining it for a
> change.

> Still, keeps the students away.. so should have a better chgance of
> getting in on the door.. what time did they take the stage, and finish?

> Ruffian

It was £20.00 here Ruff. That's the price you pay for living daaan Saarf

Onstage at 8.30pm Finished about 10.10 p.m so you'll still get your beauty sleep.

> What was the general reaction to 'Come on Eileen', J ? Were there a load
> of people who love it and were maybe even shouting for it? Or were the
> majority grumpy old curmudgeons like you and Bluebles?
> Some questions I know, but I AM really interested in the crowd's reaction
> to it.

Hi Pat,

Well obviously I was one of the grumpy old curmudgeons who didn't want to hear THAT SONG. Naturally enough I was shouting for obscure B- Sides that even Rowland had forgotten he had written.Heh heh !

You know what gigs are like in Glasgow. The audience pay their money and they are going to go mental from the very start. The atmosphere was electric.

There was some good natured banter right from the start and "Eileen" was demanded between every song by quite a few people. Of course I was "tutting" away like Skippy The Bush Kangaroo at such outbursts:)

He completely bowled the crowd over though. No question.He did a brilliant extended version of "Geno" and closed the main set with a different version of "Eileen".

The place went balistic ! It's an all seater venue as you know but everyone was up on their feet and tearing the place down.

He really was the master craftsman last night and it was the first gig in yonks where I felt the blood tingling through my veins as I left the venue. I was as high as a kite.

Oh....and I managed to get back to Edinburgh without being assaulted in even the slightest manner

All in all a superb night Patrick.

> Hi Pat,

> Well obviously I was one of the grumpy old curmudgeons who didn't want to
> hear THAT SONG. Naturally enough I was shouting for obscure B- Sides that
> even Rowland had forgotten he had written.Heh heh !

> You know what gigs are like in Glasgow. The audience pay their money and
> they are going to go mental from the very start. The atmosphere was
> electric.

> There was some good natured banter right from the start and
> "Eileen" was demanded between every song by quite a few people.
> Of course I was "tutting" away like Skippy The Bush Kangaroo at
> such outbursts:)

> He completely bowled the crowd over though. No question.He did a brilliant
> extended version of "Geno" and closed the main set with a
> different version of "Eileen".

> The place went balistic ! It's an all seater venue as you know but
> everyone was up on their feet and tearing the place down.

> He really was the master craftsman last night and it was the first gig in
> yonks where I felt the blood tingling through my veins as I left the
> venue. I was as high as a kite.

> Oh....and I managed to get back to Edinburgh without being assaulted in
> even the slightest manner

> All in all a superb night Patrick.

Cheers, J. Sounds great.
And you got in and out of glasgow without even a hint of being in danger??

tsk tsk. This urban gentrification must stop!! What about our culture??

Don't listen to Johnny, Paddy. He was a huge embarrassment. Stood on his chair shouting for THAT song. I didn't know where to put my face! Then he was jigging in the aisles when it was played. The Numptie!

*Another one of Bluenose's newly-learnt Scottish words tomorrow.

> What was the general reaction to 'Come on Eileen', J ? Were there a load
> of people who love it and were maybe even shouting for it? Or were the
> majority grumpy old curmudgeons like you and Bluebles?
> Some questions I know, but I AM really interested in the crowd's reaction
> to it.

> Cheers, J. Sounds great.
> And you got in and out of glasgow without even a hint of being in danger??

> tsk tsk. This urban gentrification must stop!! What about our culture??

I don't think it's that Pat.I think it's my new hair cut. It makes me look like a mean,washed up boxer

Which of course I am....

> Don't listen to Johnny, Paddy. He was a huge embarrassment. Stood on his
> chair shouting for THAT song. I didn't know where to put my face! Then he
> was jigging in the aisles when it was played. The Numptie!

> *Another one of Bluenose's newly-learnt Scottish words tomorrow.

Stop pretending you were there Bluenose. There is no way anyone would have understood you if you had asked to buy a ticket

> It was £20.00 here Ruff. That's the price you pay for living daaan Saarf
>

> Onstage at 8.30pm Finished about 10.10 p.m so you'll still get your beauty
> sleep.

Tha's why I asked about the show time.. I am notoriously bad for turning up late at gigs.. I have arrived at no less than 2 encores in my gig world! Blunose sent that text after the show about 22.15.. hence my deduction that it's early one!

Beauty sleep? haha.. maybe... but, remember my Celtic chum, the beast never rests!

Ruffian

Well, I had a top night at Dexy’s on Monday, too. It was my first sample of a Glaswegian audience. What a rowdy lot! We know how to behave in the Midlands, so I was a little taken aback when Johnny decided to whoop and holler and dance in the aisles.

I thought the new versions of the old classics did the songs justice. Even C.O.E. was toe-tappingly enjoyable. The brass and string section was rather modest, which meant much of the set could not be done the way the original recordings dictate. Good in many ways, but for those of you who love SFTYSR, don’t expect too much pumping brass. (unless you get lucky outside the venue)

Surprisingly, there was a lot of material found on the Greatest Hits that wasn’t aired. Unusual, seeing as the tour is promoting the album. There was no 'Show Me', 'There There, My Dear', 'Dance Stance' or 'Plan B'. In fact, the single, 'Manhood' wasn’t played either. However, I’d say it is a proper treat for the fans as the set had a broad choice from all three albums, including the odd b-side. I had to help steer Johnny towards the exit, he was welling up with emotion. Either that or his legs aren’t used to the jigging in the aisles.

> Well, I had a top night at Dexy’s on Monday, too. It was my first sample
> of a Glaswegian audience. What a rowdy lot! We know how to behave in the
> Midlands, so I was a little taken aback when Johnny decided to whoop and
> holler and dance in the aisles.

> I thought the new versions of the old classics did the songs justice. Even
> C.O.E. was toe-tappingly enjoyable. The brass and string section was
> rather modest, which meant much of the set could not be done the way the
> original recordings dictate. Good in many ways, but for those of you who
> love SFTYSR, don’t expect too much pumping brass. (unless you get lucky
> outside the venue)

> Surprisingly, there was a lot of material found on the Greatest Hits that
> wasn’t aired. Unusual, seeing as the tour is promoting the album. There
> was no 'Show Me', 'There There, My Dear', 'Dance Stance' or 'Plan B'. In
> fact, the single, 'Manhood' wasn’t played either. However, I’d say it is a
> proper treat for the fans as the set had a broad choice from all three
> albums, including the odd b-side. I had to help steer Johnny towards the
> exit, he was welling up with emotion. Either that or his legs aren’t used
> to the jigging in the aisles.

Don't give me any of that old Pony Bluenose.I can handle myself at gigs.I was going when you were still attending schol with the arse hanging out of your trousers

I have been to gigs that were so wild that if you were there you would have been ringing your mum after the second song to come and collect you and take you away from those BAD boys.

Your a whimp and a girl.Stick to UB40 in future.You may just about handle that

Back
Top Bottom