if morrissey really DOES like mark ronsons cover then....

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
he really must be starting to lose it for me.
i mean certain things over the past few years seem to have detached him from the harsh english northern reality that made him in the 1st place .
but now he likes this piece of wank , well i dont know, shouldnt the real morrissey be championing new british indie bands or enjoying "the wedding present" in sheffield like me last week? come on moz your becoming a bit of a detached tosser in my eyes .

i mean certain things over the past few years seem to have detached him from the harsh english northern reality that made him in the 1st place .
but now he likes this piece of wank , well i dont know, shouldnt the real morrissey be championing new british indie bands or enjoying "the wedding present" in sheffield like me last week? come on moz your becoming a bit of a detached tosser in my eyes .

... should he do all the things you want him to do? Maybe morrissey felt he fulfilled his bitch-about-other-musicians-quota for the year and decided to be nice for a change? you don't have to mean it when you state, "yes, it's nice". I'm glad he said it, since i started to cringe every time he whined about another musician.

he hasn't been part of the harsh english northern reality for years.

What new british bands deserve to be championed?

you are very much a tosser.

So sorry he might have a different opinion than you. How dare he.

Were huge bushes of gladioli hanging out the back of his Levi's back in 1983 part of his "grim Northern reality" too? I realize his "Northernness" is very much a part of his central identity but that doesn't mean he hasn't wanted for a long time to escape it in various ways. It would be like saying, "Morrissey has had a boyfriend? My my, the faker certainly has drifted a long way from the lonely miserable sod of yore!"

... should he do all the things you want him to do? Maybe morrissey felt he fulfilled his bitch-about-other-musicians-quota for the year and decided to be nice for a change? you don't have to mean it when you state, "yes, it's nice". I'm glad he said it, since i started to cringe every time he whined about another musician.

he hasn't been part of the harsh english northern reality for years.

What new british bands deserve to be championed?

you are very much a tosser.

if you know nothing about the new british indie scene i aint gonna try to educate you - you probrably think it means something like razorlight or towers of london anyway - blinkered clot!

Could you please tell us the names of some of these new indie bands? I'm not british, so I'm not sure what you mean.
I adore The Electric Soft Parade anyway :cool:

if you know nothing about the new british indie scene i aint gonna try to educate you - you probrably think it means something like razorlight or towers of london anyway - blinkered clot!

which bands exactly are you talking about?

why should he be into this 'new' british indie scene?

because in my opinion, theres nothing all that fresh or original in this new radio-one-sponsored indie scene anyway, and...er, are you only allowed to like one type of music and NO songs from any other genre?? because if thats your view, and you can ONLY support the new indie scene why the hell are you going to see the wedding present??
blinkered clot :rolleyes:

oh it's so obvious Morrissey would not like this cover. We haven't heard him say it personally yet, and every producer will try to praise their artist as much as they can...after all, they're the people who innitially believe in their talent.

I've no idea why anyone gives a f*** about this bloody cover either way...

i agree...stop being so protective of smiths/morrissey...his music is fair game to covers just like all the other songs out there.

Maybe people don't like certain morrissey covers.

Moon River anyone? I didn't mind it, but Moon River fans may have a reason to hate it for how different it is. But then again, probably not. Since most people do not behave like that certain type of Morrissey fan, represented here on Solo by all those who threw a fit over the Stop Me cover :rolleyes:

Get a grip!!!

There really is not much of an indie scene anymore and has;nt been or years, theres nothing real coming out anymore and you know it

Why can't people just except that 'stop me' (the original) is an incredible piece of writing and that any cover of it is going to sound a bit decent. The fact is Morrissey writes good songs with structure so they are perfect to be covered.

I've no idea why anyone gives a f*** about this bloody cover either way...

It's obvious many people do (or many on here, at least).

Like it or loathe it, if it gives old faves a new, well, 'lease of life', then that's to be welcomed - championed, even.

I've stated on the poll question on this song, that I have a bit of a contradictory view (i.e. I have 2 views contradicting each other).

I used to think that old classics were being ruined when covered/decimated by some artists - e.g. Tainted Love by Soft Cell and Madonna's American Pie spring to mind.

On the ohter hand, I like XTC's version of Hendrix's Watchtower, Marley's Knockin' on Heaven's Door and others that escape me for the moment (although Elvis Costello and Bowie have done some good ones).

It's obvious many people do (or many on here, at least).

Like it or loathe it, if it gives old faves a new, well, 'lease of life', then that's to be welcomed - championed, even.

I've stated on the poll question on this song, that I have a bit of a contradictory view (i.e. I have 2 views contradicting each other).

I used to think that old classics were being ruined when covered/decimated by some artists - e.g. Tainted Love by Soft Cell and Madonna's American Pie spring to mind.

On the ohter hand, I like XTC's version of Hendrix's Watchtower, Marley's Knockin' on Heaven's Door and others that escape me for the moment (although Elvis Costello and Bowie have done some good ones).

alsooo, Watchtower was covered by Hendrix. it was originally by Bob Dylan. Hendrix's version is way more popular and in some respects, better. I Also consider Joe Cocker's cover of "With a little help from my friends" superior to the Beatles version. the only Beatles cover thats better than the original, IMO.

I am far more critical of other people covering Morrissey music than of him doing covers. Hypocrite, double standards, etc, I know. Probably not the only one on this site.

I like the Northern Soul vibe it's (the cover) got going. Hey, it'll be forgotten in a few months anyway.

alsooo, Watchtower was covered by Hendrix. it was originally by Bob Dylan. Hendrix's version is way more popular and in some respects, better.

Whoops! I did know that but thanks for reminding me/pointing it out...what's the old saying - act/speak in haste, repent at leisure?

And, yes, I agree with you that Hendrix's version has become the more well-known one

Back
Top Bottom