Johnny Marr forever underrated

D

Derek The John

Hi guys,
I know this is a Morrissey solo website, but I still think it is a vehicle for Smiths talk. I really feel that Johnny Marr is unappreciated on here and in general by Smiths/Morrissey fans. He seems to me to have become the forgotten man. Any news is rarely mentioned. The further away we get to the Smiths years the more his genius becomes apparent. Yes Morrissey is amazing and yes he deserves all the success he getting. But Marr receives none of the respect he deserves....... am I wrong?

I think Johnny is respected by everyone.

There is no reason to state the obvious and when Johnny is busy with Healers stuff it does get reported here.

The respect Johnny has is proved by the fact that those that visit here, who slag off everyone Moz works with (and Moz himself on a regular basis), do not spend time slagging Johnny.

The man is a genuis. We all know it, he knows it.

Nuff said.

You are wrong. The amount of times I have read on different music message boards how Marr was the only talent in the Smiths and how Morrissey is nothing without him! Particularly boys (I won't call them men) who like the Smiths but don't want to say they like Morrissey for fear of being called "gay". Sheep, the lot of them.

This is a Morrissey message board so we are going to focus on Morrissey, but go to a general music message board and see how much respect he gets in comparison to Marr. I'd suggest very little.

Anyway, if Johnny wants more respect he should try and turn out an album that's of the calibre of ROTT. Can't see it happening myself. I think Morrissey acted as his mentor and editor, and he's been lost without him.

Re: I save Johnny's music to wma format 56kps.

Definatley agree that Marr is underrated in the music world...however, he doesn't really do much to enhance his career. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen him produce any music for ages. He's definatley respected, but only in certain circles, which is probably the main problem.

> Definatley agree that Marr is underrated in the music world...however, he
> doesn't really do much to enhance his career. Please correct me if I'm
> wrong, but I haven't seen him produce any music for ages. He's definatley
> respected, but only in certain circles, which is probably the main
> problem.

Nothing shy's away from the fact that the guy was 23 when the Smiths broke up. That is truely amazing. Plus I think alot of Electronica was very good.

23? Wow! George Harrison was 27 when the Beatles broke up, and I used to think THAT was incredible....! 'ey up Johnny.

We love Morrissey for what he did until 1987 and for what he's done since solo. We're still wating

for Johnny to come up with something worth it. And it's really disappinting. Time puts each person in his right place.

Re: We love Morrissey for what he did until 1987 and for what he's done since solo. We're still wati

I like some of Johnny Marr's work since the Smiths...

I think the first two Electronic singles were sheer class, let down by the first LP and then it meandered into AOR music with a dance beat, IMHO.
The The LPs he did were good.
Kirsty Maccoll. Yes.
Beth Orton. Yes.

Unfortunately I didn't really get the Healers and I was looking forward to that. I think he sould either get into soundtracks (Shameless one he did- the Xmas special was quite good), explore his love of Bert Jansch and British folk music in general (as this could be an interesting development) or continue producing etc etc

And don't forget he helped discover Oasis too who, regardless of your opinion of them, are one of the biggest British bands ever. So he can't be that much of a whatever a lot of the solow users think.

And boy can he play guitar!! And frankly I don't think he really gives a flying fook what anyone else thinks. hes happy. So let him be.

Some interesting stuff here and there, but nothing constant and not his own and unique project

Back
Top Bottom