Just got back from Palladium

Danny

No encore again :D Made me chuckle a bit as the lights came up anticipating all the angry posters on here.

I think there were sound problems. Can't see any other reason unless Morrissey is trying to teach us not to expect an encore every time

Other than that I really enjoyed it. The new stuff sounds great live.

I think there were sound problems. Can't see any other reason unless Morrissey is trying to teach us not to expect an encore every time

It was odd, as from where I was the sound of both the band and Mozzer's voice was fantastic, with Morrissey hitting all the high notes on the opening songs with no problems at all. For some reason about halfway through the set (from 'On the Streets I Ran' on I think) he started complaining about the sound and dropping the end off lines. He also seemed incredibly nervous - when he said desperately "Someone say something encouraging quickly" after one song I thought he was about the leave the stage halfway through the set - and completely forgot to introduce the band. I don't think he didn't do an encore simply because the crowd weren;t asking for it - it was an enthuesiastic crowd with lots of cheering, only sullen Moz assumed we were cheering the songs, not him. :(

I can only think of 2 reasons for all the problems, and the lack of encore.

1 - Bad stage sound. It sounded great out front, but maybe from on-stage Morrissey couldn't hear his voice properly, or thought he was signing out of tune. I;ve heard a few hideous bootleg recordings where a similar problem has occured and Morrissey sings totally out of tune for a song or two before they correct the stage mix, but oddly he seemed bang in tune and on form tonight, despite his grumbling.

2 - Is he ill? Lord preserve he isn't coming down with the flu or somthing...

If it was just a bad sound-mix on stage it's a pity they couldn't sort it out enough that Morrissey could at least give an encore. Myself I'm going to enough gigs that it's not the end of the world for me, but having gigs ending with enormous boos echoing round the venues from dissapointed punters is hardly going to endear him to new fans.

Didn't hear many boos myself. People just seemed to gradually accept that the show was over.

Helen Bach said:
He complained of flu in Liverpool.

i swear that it's surprising that the CDC hasn't foregone chicken embryos and called him up to be a petri dish for the flu.

I think the main problem was the crowd was dry. I think Moz likes the fact that people try and get on stage to hug him and no-one was doing it even though it looked easy-peasy to shin up there.

I think the mixture of the typical dry london crowd coupled with the bad sound in his inner ear mic (making him unable to hear his own vocal) led to him not doing an encore.

I was there! No-one in the stall were moving, no-one tried to get on stage. Seemed like he was feeling vulnerable and needed abit of love and encouragement from his fans. Problem with that is that the fans were all in the royal and upper circle when the stalls were filled with people who got tickets from the record co/palladium members etc.
Anyway, no-one knows what he was hearing in his earpiece, maybe a lot of feedback ? or something similar.

I totally enjoyed this concert, even though i was in the back row of the whole place! felt i really got to know Morrissey, he looked like he needed a hug :(

No-one in the stall were moving, no-one tried to get on stage.

What you have to remember is that it's an all seating venue. In the stalls where I was everyone was standing up, and a lot of people flooded into the aisles to try and get closer, but you are still somewhat penned in by those rows of seats. As people are more spread out than the massive crush that entails in an all standing pit there is no chance for those maniacs who crowd-surf from the rear of the venue, so the only people with a hope in hell of getting on the stage were those who happened to have tickets on the front row of the stalls, and even if they had the inclincation they've got security guards stood next to them at the front plus 'The Rock' lurking to the side of the stage for any potential stage invaders.

The days of mass stage invasions a la '91/'92/'95 are sadly long behind us I feel - and neither Moz nor the security seem so keen to allow it these days - I've been to 6 shows so far this year and only seen 1 lucky soul actually manage to get fully on stage (in Grimsby), everyone else gets grabbed instantly by security if they make the attempt, and at best get a brief handshake from Moz and at worst get beaten up by the security.

I think Moz likes the fact that people try and get on stage to hug him and no-one was doing it even though it looked easy-peasy to shin up there.

I do get the feeling that now he's older Morrissey is no longer a huge fan of this - if he wanted to he could easily instruct his security to go easier on the stage invaders, but they display pretty much zero tolerance now.

From where I was standing in the middle of the stalls the crowd were up for it, enthuesiastic and cheered each song - but something seemed to go wrong for Moz.

Last edited:
Palladium

the stalls were filled with people who got tickets from the record co/palladium members etc.

They weren't at least my third row seat went to me, who has nought to do with either.

I thought we were lively enough. The seats were preety restrictive, and I think that the above poster is right - Morrissey wouldn't want so many invaders these days. That is just the feeling I get.

I thought the gig was brilliant, possibly not the best I have seen, and yes, I was peed off that there was no encore, but I will get over it. He played for nearly and hour and a half.

Back
Top Bottom