Morrissey libel trial given the go-ahead

Jon sends the link:

Morrissey libel trial given the go-ahead - BBC News

Singer Morrissey's libel action over an article about his attitude to immigration can go to trial, the High Court has ruled.

Bluebirds also posted the link in the forums (original post):

Morrissey's libel battle against NME to be heard next year - The Guardian

Former Smiths frontman says high court appearance is chance to 'clear my name' over alleged racism accusations

Excerpt:

"In 2007 the NME viciously attacked me and labelled me a racist and a hypocrite. Last week they sought to avoid facing me in court to settle the matter once and for all," Morrissey said in a statement issued after Wednesday's ruling. "I am delighted that the NME's attempt to stifle my claim was unsuccessful and that as a result I will be able to use the very public forum of the high court in London to clear my name, loud and clear for all to hear."

An NME spokeswoman said: "NME recently sought to strike out Morrissey's claim on grounds of a lengthy delay. After almost four years, we are glad that the matter will now proceed to trial and we will finally get the opportunity to bring this matter to a close."

McNicholas and IPC Media lost their bid to strike out Morrissey's claim. Tugendhat said Morrissey's explanation of why it had taken four years to bring the claim to court was "credible".

Morrissey described in a witness statement how he had been left financially crippled by an acrimonious fallout with his manager, Merck Mercuriadis, in May 2008 which left the singer owing money to both creditors and debtors.

Tugendhat said the case was one that might be "susceptible to resolution" before it reaches trial, but it remains to be seen whether Morrissey will now wait for his day in court. The high court trial is expected to begin in mid 2012.

Related item:

Last edited:
One only has to read any post-1997 interview to see Morrissey is in deep shit, from a human perspective. He hates the average person, reserving for them a sneering contempt worthy of the house of Winsor itself; he constantly speaks of himself and how wonderful he is; and then he throws in the odd self-deprecating aside just to muddy the water.

This case is going to be absolutely hilarious.

Morrissey: "black people and white people will never get along..."
Morrissey: "one can't help but think of the Chinese as a sub-species..."
Morrissey: "It's so difficult... the more who come here, the more the British identity disappears"
Morrissey: "It's hard enough when you belong here"
Morrissey: "England for the English"
Morrissey: "We are the last truly British people"
Morrissey: "The truth is in my songs... I am honest"
Morrissey: "Lying can be useful"
Morrissey: "There is no mystery... I write about life the way it really is"

Any two-bit lawyer could certainly portray Morrissey as a racist to the satisfaction of the average liberal judge based on those comments alone. Particularly important in this trial will be the statement, "One can't help but think of the Chinese as a sub-species." Whatever the reasons given, this is no different in essence from the language of all fascists and racists. Rarely do they say, "I simply hate all blacks/whites/jews." Rather they seek to justify their distaste with reasons, real or fallacious; but the specific feature all racist hate speech must contain is the attempt to label one race as inferior more generally based on these supposed reasons. Morrissey actually goes further and uses the term "sub-species!"

Morrissey will lose. Not because he's a very unpleasant person (though this will undoubtedly influence the jury and judge), or because he's actually quite inarticulate politically, or even because of some grotesque conspiracy, or even because he's already been labelled "devious, truculent and unreliable" - no, Morrissey will lose because the words spoken in a couple of the statemens are the very essence of racist, whether or not he intended them to be so. And therefore taken in the context of this general understanding, his other more xenophobic or nationalistic statements (mozzer probably doesn't know what I mean by now - too political!) have to be seen in the broader context of someone who has uttered quite shamefully racist things on at least one occasion.

Now I'm not saying Morrissey deserves to lose or that he's a racist. I'm just saying he will lose the libel case.

When you've admitted publicly that lying can be useful; when you've used a term like 'sub-species' to describe the Chinese; and when you have made innumerable provocative remarks on the race issue; and you have a track record of being called a racist, everything is against Morrissey. His credibility is nil, he is unlikable, he is strange and obviously manipulative, he is clearly against immigration and feels certain races appear to be like 'subspecies,' so how on Earth can he win?

My only hope is that Morrissey is humiliated once again. I think it's inevitable.
I think this is a very fair post.
His point that we, as fans, believe he is probably not a racist. But if you're not and you look at the quotes (particluarly his reference to the chinese) what other possible conclusion can you come to?
It's a massive shame. As an artist I think he is unsurpassed. The salient point of Moz is his voice and songs. This stuff is just rubbish and aids no one. I wish he'd shut up about this and talk about music.
Would'nt it be interesting, for example, if he told us about his songwriting process? How does a non-musician produce such great songs. He works with OK musicians and gets them to produce masterpieces. Why can't he talk about this instead of race?

One only has to read any post-1997 interview to see Morrissey is in deep shit, from a human perspective. He hates the average person, reserving for them a sneering contempt worthy of the house of Winsor itself; he constantly speaks of himself and how wonderful he is; and then he throws in the odd self-deprecating aside just to muddy the water.

This case is going to be absolutely hilarious.

Morrissey: "black people and white people will never get along..."
Morrissey: "one can't help but think of the Chinese as a sub-species..."
Morrissey: "It's so difficult... the more who come here, the more the British identity disappears"
Morrissey: "It's hard enough when you belong here"
Morrissey: "England for the English"
Morrissey: "We are the last truly British people"
Morrissey: "The truth is in my songs... I am honest"
Morrissey: "Lying can be useful"
Morrissey: "There is no mystery... I write about life the way it really is"

Any two-bit lawyer could certainly portray Morrissey as a racist to the satisfaction of the average liberal judge based on those comments alone. Particularly important in this trial will be the statement, "One can't help but think of the Chinese as a sub-species." Whatever the reasons given, this is no different in essence from the language of all fascists and racists. Rarely do they say, "I simply hate all blacks/whites/jews." Rather they seek to justify their distaste with reasons, real or fallacious; but the specific feature all racist hate speech must contain is the attempt to label one race as inferior more generally based on these supposed reasons. Morrissey actually goes further and uses the term "sub-species!"

Morrissey will lose. Not because he's a very unpleasant person (though this will undoubtedly influence the jury and judge), or because he's actually quite inarticulate politically, or even because of some grotesque conspiracy, or even because he's already been labelled "devious, truculent and unreliable" - no, Morrissey will lose because the words spoken in a couple of the statemens are the very essence of racist, whether or not he intended them to be so. And therefore taken in the context of this general understanding, his other more xenophobic or nationalistic statements (mozzer probably doesn't know what I mean by now - too political!) have to be seen in the broader context of someone who has uttered quite shamefully racist things on at least one occasion.

Now I'm not saying Morrissey deserves to lose or that he's a racist. I'm just saying he will lose the libel case.

When you've admitted publicly that lying can be useful; when you've used a term like 'sub-species' to describe the Chinese; and when you have made innumerable provocative remarks on the race issue; and you have a track record of being called a racist, everything is against Morrissey. His credibility is nil, he is unlikable, he is strange and obviously manipulative, he is clearly against immigration and feels certain races appear to be like 'subspecies,' so how on Earth can he win?

My only hope is that Morrissey is humiliated once again. I think it's inevitable.

Sad son,

"Oh, nowadays so many conceited peole go about Society pretending to be good, that I think it shows rather a sweet and modest disposition to pretend to be bad. Besides, there is this to be said. If you pretend to be good, the world takes you very seriously. If you pretend to be bad, it doesn't. Such is the astounding stupidity of optimism."
-Lord Darlington from Lady Wyndermere's Fan By Oscar Wilde

we'll let you know

Sad son,

"Oh, nowadays so many conceited peole go about Society pretending to be good, that I think it shows rather a sweet and modest disposition to pretend to be bad. Besides, there is this to be said. If you pretend to be good, the world takes you very seriously. If you pretend to be bad, it doesn't. Such is the astounding stupidity of optimism."
-Lord Darlington from Lady Wyndermere's Fan By Oscar Wilde

we'll let you know
Hey 'We'll let you know', I don't think he was being unfair to Morrissey. Don't you think that Moz has said a few things that are troublesome and to non fans, pretty outrageous?

Hey 'We'll let you know', I don't think he was being unfair to Morrissey. Don't you think that Moz has said a few things that are troublesome and to non fans, pretty outrageous?

Dear Peterb,

Sorry doesn't help. Considering chinese dish, there is no excuse for such cruel, ghastly cruel, treatment of animals (you should see the documentary originaly mentioned by M before M sprint to problematic sub prefix) and chinese officials never try to ban this holocaust against domestic cats and dogs.
What if something is squeezing They skull?

we'll let you know

Dear Peterb,

Sorry doesn't help. Considering chinese dish, there is no excuse for such cruel, ghastly cruel, treatment of animals (you should see the documentary originaly mentioned by M before M sprint to problematic sub prefix) and chinese officials never try to ban this holocaust against domestic cats and dogs.
What if something is squeezing They skull?

we'll let you know
I'm sure that the cruelty he complains of does happen and I unfortunately didn't see the documentary but do you think that justifies condemning the whole race? I mean ghastly things happen in the UK and US aswell.
I have no doubt that Moz intended to attack the perpertrators but in his position one should be careful with ones words. How do you think chinese Morrissey fans felt?
By the way, listened to your youtube link. Beautiful.

I'm sure that the cruelty he complains of does happen and I unfortunately didn't see the documentary but do you think that justifies condemning the whole race? I mean ghastly things happen in the UK and US aswell.
I have no doubt that Moz intended to attack the perpertrators but in his position one should be careful with ones words. How do you think chinese Morrissey fans felt?
By the way, listened to your youtube link. Beautiful.

Simple, his chinese fans felt disgust also by cruelty, furthermore, they also must think that human is not human if he is unhuman to other being. Specially, if this being is so helpless as domestic cat nad dog.

we'll let you know

Simple, his chinese fans felt disgust also by cruelty, furthermore, they also must think that human is not human if he is unhuman to other being. Specially, if this being is so helpless as domestic cat nad dog.

we'll let you know
Absolutely, but Moz attacked all chinese. If this quote is heard out of context it's sounds like straight ahead racism, don't you think?

Absolutely, but Moz attacked all chinese. If this quote is heard out of context it's sounds like straight ahead racism, don't you think?

No, it is strictly direct to them - who's behavior toward animals is unhuman, they are like subhumans. Surely, every chinese is not like that. But they who practice mash from cat and dog, they are not praise for any humanity.

we'll let you know

No, it is strictly direct to them - who's behavior toward animals is unhuman, they are like subhumans. Surely, every chinese is not like that. But they who practice mash from cat and dog, they are not praise for any humanity.

we'll let you know
I have no doubt that Moz's attack was on the perpertrators and not the chinese as a whole.

If someone have to dish slaughter and death to spend his 24h >>> 365 days for standard 80ish or what years, dear god, then we humans are scary beasts.
Over and out considering slaughter of animals for dish topic. Thank you very much.

we'll let you know

If someone have to dish slaughter and death to spend his 24h >>> 365 days for standard 80ish or what years, dear god, then we humans are scary beasts.
Over and out considering slaughter of animals for dish topic. Thank you very much.

we'll let you know
I dont think this is Morrissey.Its Kewpie and Celibate's love child.

it's not Morrissey. None of these people are Morrissey. Do you really think there would be a day in Morrissey's life when posting hints and clues on this website would be the best thing he could think of to do? No.

I Let You Know

it's not Morrissey. None of these people are Morrissey. Do you really think there would be a day in Morrissey's life when posting hints and clues on this website would be the best thing he could think of to do? No.

I Let You Know

Sad son,

In the absence of your love
and in the absence of your human touch
I have decided

we'll let you know

Back
Top Bottom