Morrissey & synthetizers

Pet Shop Boys 7,2 million.
The Smiths are twice as big as them as well.
Even if they are still going. And are excellent.

The biggest synth band today are Depeche Mode and even they are less popular than The Smiths these days.

Last edited:
people on here think M goes to bed and reads poetry every night,he likes normal things as well,him and boz watched alien vs predator on a plane.
On a more serious note, Morrissey is a poet. His lyrics are poetry, they just happen to have pop music behind them. So it's pretty normal for Morrissey to also read poetry, perhaps not every night, but surely more often than he watches dismal action movies like Alien Vs. Predator. (For the record: I'm not saying action movies in general are dismal, mut AvsP definitely is.) Not everyone is as illiterate as you.

Pet Shop Boys 7,2 million.
The Smiths are twice as big as them as well.
Even if they are still going. And are excellent.

The biggest synth band today are Depeche Mode and even they are less popular than The Smiths these days.
I guess one reason is that PSB, DM and Duran Duran have all sold many times over the amount that The Smiths have. They have also reissued their classic albums many times in several different formats. So there's much more physical copies around that the fans can listen to. It also seems that for some reason The Smiths is a band that the youngsters (who very rarely buy records) seem very keen to investigate and some even become fans, who listen to them through streaming services over and over.

I guess one reason is that PSB, DM and Duran Duran have all sold many times over the amount that The Smiths have. They have also reissued their classic albums many times in several different formats. So there's much more physical copies around that the fans can listen to. It also seems that for some reason The Smiths is a band that the youngsters (who very rarely buy records) seem very keen to investigate and some even become fans, who listen to them through streaming services over and over.
I think their music just aged better, whereas the synthpopbands are more 'of their time'.
The Smiths' sound is timeless.

I think their music just aged better, whereas the synthpopbands are more 'of their time'.
The Smiths' sound is timeless.
Electronic music and hip hop are the mainstream now. Guitar bands are very much in the marginal nowadays. Of course this can also benefit The Smiths, when there are so few current bands doing guitar pop well and with intelligence.

Electronic music and hip hop are the mainstream now. Guitar bands are very much in the marginal nowadays. Of course this can also benefit The Smiths, when there are so few current bands doing guitar pop well and with intelligence.
True, but electronic music of today sounds very different than that of the 80s, whereas most indie rock of the past 20 years is at least partly indebted to The Smiths. And also the lyrics are universal and will again and again appeal to new generations of teenagers around the world.

M always liked some synth stuff, him and Marr just thought they were being bad ass’s by going against the grain, which they were, but..

and in some of his recent preshow ..

Back
Top Bottom