Morrissey's 'Your Arsenal' was released July 27, 1992; read our 1992 cover story with Moz - SPIN

But would it be such a "bad" thing to play other people's songs if you had the chance or the opportunity, to a future collaboration which could result in songs that were very much belonging to you too?
Maybe he calculated that chance or opportunity was much smaller then he hoped. And Moz could have tried to pursuade him to write songs more suited for his voice.
It's a shame, I think it could have been brilliant.
A missed opportunity on both accounts.

Perhaps Bernard felt making amends with Brett is way more important. Plus, by 2004 Butler and Johnny Marr were good friends and it's not impossible Marr warned the pros and cons of working with Morrissey...

Don't get carried away by every anniversary that comes around. It was a decent album. That's all. Better than Kill Uncle but worse than Viva Hate.

Vauxhall, two years later, remains his best album....so far?

Perhaps Bernard felt making amends with Brett is way more important. Plus, by 2004 Butler and Johnny Marr were good friends and it's not impossible Marr warned the pros and cons of working with Morrissey...

That could very well be true but I do believe that the idea of Bernard not wanting to play other people's songs is plausible one. Even when he and Brett did get together he didn't want to play old suede songs which if I'm remembering correctly became an issue. I've long heard that Bernard sent morrissey music but I've heard so many rumors about it I don't know what to believe. A missed opportunity that I think would have resulted in some fantastic song but so it goes. As to his and Brett's relationship yeah it was regretful but the reason it ended like it did I must admit seemed down to Brett's actions as much as I love him. Either way suedes music is good enough to stand on it own and will probably always be associated somewhat with the smiths. I discovered suede by listening to morrissey on a listening box in a Barnes Andy noble, they don't exist anymore, that had a click for similar artists. Got to suede and immediately went out and bought the debut album

Thanks for sharing ... it sounds very quaint and not at all unlike how Johnny Marr would work with Morrissey. Now a collaborator would just send him an mp3 or other digital file to work with.

I was curious about the Tascam recorder Alain mentioned - it might have been a unit like this.

Also, thanks to Morrissey on the Your Arsenal tour for turning me onto Suede with his cover of My Insatiable One. It's a shame his love affair with Brett Anderson/Suede did not continue very long, it would have been amazing for some kind of collaboration between the two.
Its funny. Last night I watched BBC at the Proms on BBC4 because Richard Hawley, Jarvis Cocker and John Grant were singing versions of Scott Walker with a full orchestra. The music was cinematic and sad and reminded me of the best of Morricone and had all the drama of Suede's recent Night Thoughts album. I'm very tempted to buy five Scott Walker cds as a package deal on Amazon as they are great value. Each song tells a story and reminded me of great songs like Late Night Maudlin Street.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Its funny. Last night I watched BBC at the Proms on BBC4 because Richard Hawley, Jarvis Cocker and John Grant were singing versions of Scott Walker with a full orchestra. The music was cinematic and sad and reminded me of the best of Morricone and had all the drama of Suede's recent Night Thoughts album. I'm very tempted to buy five Scott Walker cds as a package deal on Amazon as they are great value. Each song tells a story and reminded me of great songs like Late Night Maudlin Street.

Johnny Marr has claimed of course that he planned the follow up to Strangeways to be a Scott Walker kind of album.

scott walker is cosmos for himself. Artist.

Montague Terrace (in blue) 1967

The Electrician 1978

Epizootics! 2012

Johnny Marr has claimed of course that he planned the follow up to Strangeways to be a Scott Walker kind of album.

Yes. Think he said something along the lines, that when first heard 'Viva Hate'(or songs from it) it sounded like where he wanted to go next with the Smiths like a Scott Walker kind of thing, with the strings I imagine.

Yes. Think he said something along the lines, that when first heard 'Viva Hate'(or songs from it) it sounded like where he wanted to go next with the Smiths like a Scott Walker kind of thing, with the strings I imagine.

In documentary Scott Walker: 30 Century Man Marr said "There was some sort of gothic and beautiful gloom about the sound of those Walker Brothers records in particular..." with conclusion that album after Strangeways should be all Scott Walker in sound... adding that he tried to make the final Smiths album, Strangeways, Here We Come, into an homage to the Philips-era Walker Brothers LPs....
Anyway, this is trailer (Marr included)

Last edited:
That could very well be true but I do believe that the idea of Bernard not wanting to play other people's songs is plausible one. Even when he and Brett did get together he didn't want to play old suede songs which if I'm remembering correctly became an issue. I've long heard that Bernard sent morrissey music but I've heard so many rumors about it I don't know what to believe. A missed opportunity that I think would have resulted in some fantastic song but so it goes. As to his and Brett's relationship yeah it was regretful but the reason it ended like it did I must admit seemed down to Brett's actions as much as I love him. Either way suedes music is good enough to stand on it own and will probably always be associated somewhat with the smiths. I discovered suede by listening to morrissey on a listening box in a Barnes Andy noble, they don't exist anymore, that had a click for similar artists. Got to suede and immediately went out and bought the debut album
From the books I've read it looks like it all went down the drain for Suede after Bernard's father died and the rest of the band expected Bernard to carry on straight away as if nothing had happened. He was in mourning while surrounded by a band intent on enjoying themselves constantly. The final straw was the interview he did for a guitar magazine where he said Brett was unbearably slow and couldn't play any instruments. They've buried the hatchet since then and formed The Tears but their album was a disappointment. Perhaps that should be a lesson to us all to stop hoping for any reunion between Marr and Moz, because the output from that could be disappointing considering the weight of expectation.

From the books I've read it looks like it all went down the drain for Suede after Bernard's father died and the rest of the band expected Bernard to carry on straight away as if nothing had happened. He was in mourning while surrounded by a band intent on enjoying themselves constantly. The final straw was the interview he did for a guitar magazine where he said Brett was unbearably slow and couldn't play any instruments. They've buried the hatchet since then and formed The Tears but their album was a disappointment. Perhaps that should be a lesson to us all to stop hoping for any reunion between Marr and Moz, because the output from that could be disappointing considering the weight of expectation.

Yeah I meant between Bernard and morrissey. Brett and morrissey, which suedemoz talked about and also the breakup of the tears where Bernard wanted to not play any suede songs which I think caused some tension. I'm a massive suede fan myself and have read love and poison a billion times as well as the Britanica book which has a decent suede section. I personally loved the tears album though and still display my seven inch singles in my office

They've buried the hatchet since then and formed The Tears but their album was a disappointment. Perhaps that should be a lesson to us all to stop hoping for any reunion between Marr and Moz, because the output from that could be disappointing considering the weight of expectation.

Not to be too techy, but production counts a lot - many here complain about the production or Ringleader, too (me included). I think the songs were OK in The Tears but the album sounds shit. Bernard is my hero, I met him and told him he inspired me to pick up the guitar (although i'd been a Smiths fan prior to that), but he was not a good producer. I still find myself listening to live Tears bootleg instead of teh record.

Not to be too techy, but production counts a lot - many here complain about the production or Ringleader, too (me included). I think the songs were OK in The Tears but the album sounds shit. Bernard is my hero, I met him and told him he inspired me to pick up the guitar (although i'd been a Smiths fan prior to that), but he was not a good producer. I still find myself listening to live Tears bootleg instead of teh record.

What's your main complaint with the production of here comes the tears. I'm just curious as I'm not a techy person and could maybe as a layman think the album perhaps a bit flat but it wasn't a problem for me the way the production or mixing mastering ruined ringleader. I liked some of the other albums he's produced as well by bands like sons and daughters. Ironically it was his own solo albums I consider to be his worst

Lovely to hear Alain reminisce, Morrissey's second best songwriting partner and top bloke to boot.

Your Arsenal, his best solo album hands down (closely followed by Viva Hate).
Have I mentioned this before? Oh...

How long have you known him?

I was at this Prom. The arrangements were outstanding, the vocals a bit hit and miss (John Grant And Susan Sandfor were fine)
I think they touched it up for TV as Jarvis voice was/is weak. Not like BBC employees to touch things up

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom