People leaving shows because "Meat Is Murder" video?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
I'm not "devoted" to Morrissey. He is my favorite singer. I acknowledge his considerable shortcomings whenever he makes them public (which is fairly often these days), and I agree that his politics are often cringeworthy (or at least very poorly articulated). That said, I do admire the way such an obviously compromised personality has navigated the perilous terrain of cult deification. It's fascinating.

As for being a provocateur: I've said it before - he's always bent folks out of shape. I know people who attended the Smiths' very first stateside show just to spit on Morrissey (although they ended up falling for him, so there you go). He rubs people the wrong way and he revels in it. He makes statements that are provocative and offensive, and he doesn't care who gets hurt.

My mind always goes back to that clip from "Importance" where a fan tells Morrissey that he's made many people very happy, to which he answers "I didn't mean to." It's very funny, and it rings kinda true. He's inadvertently entertaining. He's said it often enough: he seeks to elicit an audience reaction - it doesn't have to be a positive one.

He's a performance artist and a great crooner with a knife edge. That is enough.

All of this.

Regarding the bolded part I wonder if he's instilled in an entire fanbase the notion to embrace their fear. He's a scary fellow sometimes yet they embrace him. It's this strange phenomenon that transcends him from mere entertainer to something more religious.

I'm afraid not Anaesthine.
his politics are so infantile and poorly thought out he could never qualify as any sort of provocateur.

I like his politics Peter. In short he sees through the self serving horse shit that surrounds those that hold power and privilege. Admittedly his name calling comes across as a little daft and the metaphors he uses are usually outlandish but the message is still usually the right one for me.

I was watching a documentary the other day with my Step Mum and she went to bed half way through because she said it was "too horrible". I saw it as an act of lily livered stupidity. This isn't any different.

I left during the video because it made me feel hungry.

No Joke! KFC is not Murder!? It's DEE-LISH N' FINGER LICKIN Melt-In-Your-Mouth Mmmm mmmm mmm GOODNESS! Have fun with them soybean infused veggie patties you veg-heads! We left the Memphis show to sink our teeth into some delcious Meomphis melts off the bone barbeque! Oh Lord it was tasty!

No Joke! KFC is not Murder!? It's DEE-LISH N' FINGER LICKIN Melt-In-Your-Mouth Mmmm mmmm mmm GOODNESS! Have fun with them soybean infused veggie patties you veg-heads! We left the Memphis show to sink our teeth into some delcious Meomphis melts off the bone barbeque! Oh Lord it was tasty!

Clearly you are not real & proper fans. Just sit and watch Youtube-videos of Morrissey while your ass becomes fatter and fatter!

I like his politics Peter. In short he sees through the self serving horse shit that surrounds those that hold power and privilege. Admittedly his name calling comes across as a little daft and the metaphors he uses are usually outlandish but the message is still usually the right one for me.

I was watching a documentary the other day with my Step Mum and she went to bed half way through because she said it was "too horrible". I saw it as an act of lily livered stupidity. This isn't any different.
Hey Charlie, Can you explain then how his support for UKIP fits your description of his politics?

I'm not "devoted" to Morrissey. He is my favorite singer. I acknowledge his considerable shortcomings whenever he makes them public (which is fairly often these days), and I agree that his politics are often cringeworthy (or at least very poorly articulated). That said, I do admire the way such an obviously compromised personality has navigated the perilous terrain of cult deification. It's fascinating.

As for being a provocateur: I've said it before - he's always bent folks out of shape. I know people who attended the Smiths' very first stateside show just to spit on Morrissey (although they ended up falling for him, so there you go). He rubs people the wrong way and he revels in it. He makes statements that are provocative and offensive, and he doesn't care who gets hurt.

My mind always goes back to that clip from "Importance" where a fan tells Morrissey that he's made many people very happy, to which he answers "I didn't mean to." It's very funny, and it rings kinda true. He's inadvertently entertaining. He's said it often enough: he seeks to elicit an audience reaction - it doesn't have to be a positive one.

He's a performance artist and a great crooner with a knife edge. That is enough.
Look Anaesthine, how am I supposed to have an abusive exchange with you that will descend into simple name calling when you respond both reasonably and politely!

We walked out and had some Memphis BBQ in his honor after the show in Memphis. Did you know that Morrissey drives around in buses that have leather seats and suck up fossil fuels? Nobody cares about non-cute animals or creatures either. I guess Morrissey only cares about the cute animals and creatures on this earth. Do you know also that bacteria are living creatures and every time you take a shower or bath you kill them? Maybe that's why you PETA Posers stink?

Do you like being smelly? Nobody does, the smell comes from living bacteria on your skin and if you take medication for acne or any sort of medical creams or have had to take antibiotics before, your killing another one of Gods living creatures by doing ANY of these things!? GASP!

So all you Pompadour Poser PETA Hypocrites need to take note and think twice before throwing your hypocritical bias Liberal PETA crap our way! Fine having your own thoughts and opinion, but they are all flawed. Completely and utterly flawed! Oh sure, you care about all the cute animals, but not about the ugly parasite or microbial or bacterial creatures you curse everyday. If you were in survival mode you would kill and or eat in one instant any one of Gods creatures. You're just spoiled in modern society and are not starving enough. It's human nature to survive. It's human nature to eat meat. It's also human nature to be kind also. We do what we have to do. If it was between your pet parrot Polly or dog Max you would chow down in survival mode. Just like taking that shower or using medicine to get rid of that bacterial infection. ALL are Gods living creatures, even plants, all of these creatures have been proven to be living with thought and feeling. It's been proven through music.

Sorry, but you Pompadour Neck Tattoo Posers kill creatures everyday whether you like it or not, or even think about it. You really think your being kind to animals, all hippie like!? Ha! think again! All of the industrial products you buy or purchase encroaches or devastates some poor creatures habitat in one way or another. That wooden guitar, chair, medicine, plastic cups, plastic anything, box and plastic that wraps your boga burgers, glass containers, eyeglasses, toothpaste, gasoline, all other modern consumer products that you use in today's modern society.... so following this wanna be beatnik PETA Hypocrite Morrissey, with his dribbling lyrics, all of you are hypocrites.

The apartments you live in, the houses, the modern conveniences, all of these systems endanger modern specie habitats in every profound way whether you like it or not. There's no getting away from the "human factor" in everything we do. Why harass others with your flawed politics? All you posers quit your whiny dribble about what we eat before we eat you. Get a life, a different haircut, a different idol, and a job, maybe tattoo nightmares will have you on their show with that press-on neck tattoo! Good luck later in life with that poser stuff you got when you were a PETA loving liberal... ha-ha good luck with that! Global Warming is real too. Keep up the idiocracy of lies, taxes, ideas, and don't get me started how flawed all you liberals are. A Debacle Conundrum Paradox...wake up and have another one. Until your living in a tent down by the river and walking to work, I'll believe what you say, but until then....

We walked out and had some Memphis BBQ in his honor after the show in Memphis. Did you know that Morrissey drives around in buses that have leather seats and suck up fossil fuels? Nobody cares about non-cute animals or creatures either. I guess Morrissey only cares about the cute animals and creatures on this earth. Do you know also that bacteria are living creatures and every time you take a shower or bath you kill them? Maybe that's why you PETA Posers stink?

Do you like being smelly? Nobody does, the smell comes from living bacteria on your skin and if you take medication for acne or any sort of medical creams or have had to take antibiotics before, your killing another one of Gods living creatures by doing ANY of these things!? GASP!

So all you Pompadour Poser PETA Hypocrites need to take note and think twice before throwing your hypocritical bias Liberal PETA crap our way! Fine having your own thoughts and opinion, but they are all flawed. Completely and utterly flawed! Oh sure, you care about all the cute animals, but not about the ugly parasite or microbial or bacterial creatures you curse everyday. If you were in survival mode you would kill and or eat in one instant any one of Gods creatures. You're just spoiled in modern society and are not starving enough. It's human nature to survive. It's human nature to eat meat. It's also human nature to be kind also. We do what we have to do. If it was between your pet parrot Polly or dog Max you would chow down in survival mode. Just like taking that shower or using medicine to get rid of that bacterial infection. ALL are Gods living creatures, even plants, all of these creatures have been proven to be living with thought and feeling. It's been proven through music.

Sorry, but you Pompadour Neck Tattoo Posers kill creatures everyday whether you like it or not, or even think about it. You really think your being kind to animals, all hippie like!? Ha! think again! All of the industrial products you buy or purchase encroaches or devastates some poor creatures habitat in one way or another. That wooden guitar, chair, medicine, plastic cups, plastic anything, box and plastic that wraps your boga burgers, glass containers, eyeglasses, toothpaste, gasoline, all other modern consumer products that you use in today's modern society.... so following this wanna be beatnik PETA Hypocrite Morrissey, with his dribbling lyrics, all of you are hypocrites.

The apartments you live in, the houses, the modern conveniences, all of these systems endanger modern specie habitats in every profound way whether you like it or not. There's no getting away from the "human factor" in everything we do. Why harass others with your flawed politics? All you posers quit your whiny dribble about what we eat before we eat you. Get a life, a different haircut, a different idol, and a job, maybe tattoo nightmares will have you on their show with that press-on neck tattoo! Good luck later in life with that poser stuff you got when you were a PETA loving liberal... ha-ha good luck with that! Global Warming is real too. Keep up the idiocracy of lies, taxes, ideas, and don't get me started how flawed all you liberals are. A Debacle Conundrum Paradox...wake up and have another one. Until your living in a tent down by the river and walking to work, I'll believe what you say, but until then....

How does being a vegetarian or vegan make one a liberal?

One time I went out with Morrissey in my Volkswagen Van and we picked up these hitchhikers. They were called Matt and Brett and they were Mormon missionaries. Morrissey sat in the back with them and talked about Christ and stuff and then they wanted to go to KFC. I thought Morrissey would be mad but he wasn't. He bought Matt and Brett a bucket of fried chicken. Morrissey sat between them and ate mini corn on the cob, and it got stuck in his teeth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even see what the big deal about the video was ... mostly grainy film, hard to see ... I've seen much worse and much more intense than what he showed.

Hey Charlie, Can you explain then how his support for UKIP fits your description of his politics?

I was thinking more of World Peace Is None Of Your Business Peter. I'm not aware of his support for UKIP.

I never had a problem with immigration personally but as it's been used as a tool to grind down wages to aid the greedy it's become an issue. Then they've had us by the short and curlies by keeping a shortage of housing over several decades to hoodwink us into thinking the high house prices are a sign of the country's wealth while at the same time ensuring most people are trapped into their social class by the lack of money that the system allows them. And don't get me started how the education system is manipulated for votes! Maybe Moz just saw them as shaking up those that have sought to control us for their own ends over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
People did leave our show when the video was on, and some did not come back... The video was horrifying, but a lot of it showed abusive people abusing animals, not just the work of slaughterhouses, sadly there are people that kick dogs in their home and beat their family. And there are sick people that work in slaughterhouses that beat the animals... abuse in any form at any animal (human included) should be stopped - end of... regardless of consumption of meat.

People did leave our show when the video was on, and some did not come back... The video was horrifying, but a lot of it showed abusive people abusing animals, not just the work of slaughterhouses, sadly there are people that kick dogs in their home and beat their family. And there are sick people that work in slaughterhouses that beat the animals... abuse in any form at any animal (human included) should be stopped - end of... regardless of consumption of meat.

Surely killing is the ultimate form of abuse which is the whole point?

someone said he does wear leather shoes, im curious about that one if its true. im already a veggie and i couldnt watch. didnt ruin the show for me but i think its very natural for people to be disturbed by it contradiction in there philosophy or not. who wants to pay for an enjoyable night out and have to watch this brutal thing when you already dont agree with eating meat. seems to punish those who paid and already agree in action and to punish those (rightly or wrongly) who dont because we all cant completelyt control our natural physical reactions. it doesnt bother me personally but i can easily see why people might want to spend the very few dollars they have going to see something else that might reward there alliance to the artists philosophy instead of trying to convert others who dont at the believers expense. i guess it depends on what you want to do with your show as its a tough balance. i do think the video very brave and effective but it does come with an understandable price and i dont think those who are bothered by it are wrong feeling weird about it and what they might expect from spending there money.

someone said he does wear leather shoes, im curious about that one if its true. im already a veggie and i couldnt watch. didnt ruin the show for me but i think its very natural for people to be disturbed by it contradiction in there philosophy or not. who wants to pay for an enjoyable night out and have to watch this brutal thing when you already dont agree with eating meat. seems to punish those who paid and already agree in action and to punish those (rightly or wrongly) who dont because we all cant completelyt control our natural physical reactions. it doesnt bother me personally but i can easily see why people might want to spend the very few dollars they have going to see something else that might reward there alliance to the artists philosophy instead of trying to convert others who dont at the believers expense. i guess it depends on what you want to do with your show as its a tough balance. i do think the video very brave and effective but it does come with an understandable price and i dont think those who are bothered by it are wrong feeling weird about it and what they might expect from spending there money.

The thing with art is that the artist serves up what they wish and it's up to the audience to like or dislike it, not for the audience to dictate what the artist delivers. The World is chock full of entertainers who are only too happy to never offend, if that's your bag then you won't be short of shows to go and see.

Back
Top Bottom