Pubs for Manchester gigs - The Goat's Guide

T

The Goat

Following on from the lengthy debate further down, here are The Goat's recommended pubs.

For the Bridgewater Hall and Opera House try The Temple of Convenience (Oxford Street) Peveril of the Peak and Britons Protection (both on Great Bridgewater St. All within 2 minutes walk of the Bridgewater hall (Britons Protection is actually across the road!) and about 5-10 mins walk to Opera House. For out of towners, the Temple must be seen to believed! It is a former public lavatory, under the ground!

For Lowry gig, the same three pubs or The Knott on Deansagate as both are very near to the Metrolink so you can then catch the tram to The Lowry. there is nothing around the Lowry apart from the venue itself with it's slightly over priced beers.
The Goat

The Temple of Convenience only needs 5 people in to be full to the rafters. The Pev was my first ever pub, I used to go in on my way to Maine Road, on Saturday afternoon, and years later on a Thursday night, before going to the Hacienda. It is a part of Manchester history, and a genuine Irish pub, that isn't trying to be Irish.

The Britons Protection is like some vaudaville waiting room, with rooms at the back. Up to the 80's, women had to stand in the walkway, as they were not strictly allowed in. Nothing like that now, it's a lovely pub, and you can't get any closer to The Bridgewater.

For the out-of-towner going to the Opera House, try the Grapes, just off Quay Street. I wouldn't normally suggest this place, but it is very close to the Opera House, and is a shrine to Coronation Street (it's part owned by Liz Dawn - Vera Duckworth). As you are basically within spitting distance of the street (it's just down the road), it would be rude not to pay homage. Otherwise it's a crap pub.

Brel - you are a Blue as well as a Smiths / Morrissey fan.

Indeed you are a top bloke!

The Goat

Re: Brel - you are a Blue as well as a Smiths / Morrissey fan.

A blue from a Mancunian Irish family! I am a freak of nature.

Re: Brel - you are a Blue as well as a Smiths / Morrissey fan.

pub/bar in the lowry centre itself, beefeater pub close by (the quayhouse) loads of restaurant/bars (frankie n bennys, chiquitos, fatty arbuckles etc) on the quays within 5-10 min walk max.

Back
Top Bottom