Req: Idiots Guide To Torrents

Well after seeing so many wonderful bootlegs pieces go up on torrents and, after many desperate attempts to download them I have given up. I need some kind person to do an easy to use guide to torrent downloading for me. I already have uTorrent...is this any good? Please, please, please I need your help. There is so much jargon such as seeders and leachers which I cannot begin to comprehend, thanks again PTxx.

http://www.bittorrentguide.co.uk/torrentguide.html

This site explains much of the jargon and also gives a basic guide to using bittorrent.

if you want an even quicker version:

Download the "torrent" file (onto the desktop for now)
Open Utorrent
Drag the 'Torrent' Icon into the main Utorrent window
A box will appear, firstly decide where you want to save the file/s
click ok
The box will then disappear and will go back the main Utorrent screen
The name of the torrent you dragged in will appear in the top frame of the utorrennt
It will take a fewseconds but will then begin downloading
when the % under the 'done' column reaches 100% you have finished
go to the folder you saved it in.
Voila

Can anyone suggest a good torrent program for Mac OSX+?

I seem to be getting along fine now thanks. I assume if I going to download a game or film using torrents it will take a long time due to the file size?

I seem to be getting along fine now thanks. I assume if I going to download a game or film using torrents it will take a long time due to the file size?

It depends on you connection speed and the amount of people sharing the full file. If you want to see an estimate of the time it will take, scroll to the side of the top utorrent window and it has a column called ETA which says how long the file has left.

Yeh, I'm downloading a game at the moment. It is moving pretty slowly which is hardly suprising I guess as it is a game ! But the ETA is saying an estimated 14hours left which is a long time but I can just leave my computer running. Plus I downloaded a cracker which essentially is just a disc for the game so that it can run without an actual disc having to be physically placed in the machine. The cracker downloaded in 6 minutes so all is good :)

Yeh, I'm downloading a game at the moment. It is moving pretty slowly which is hardly suprising I guess as it is a game ! But the ETA is saying an estimated 14hours left which is a long time but I can just leave my computer running. Plus I downloaded a cracker which essentially is just a disc for the game so that it can run without an actual disc having to be physically placed in the machine. The cracker downloaded in 6 minutes so all is good :)

This is a little more complicated but if you know what upload speed you have, you can set it to only upload at say 75% of maximum and this will help you finish files quicker.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Do the test and work out your upload speed

Then go to Utorrent, then options ----> preferences ----> then change the 'global upload speed' from zero (which is unlimited) to say 20 or 25 depnding on your connection

Back
Top Bottom