Sex & Lyrics 4 - Alsation Cousin

Explosive Kegs

Dear God, I LOVE IT!
So Morrissey likes camping.

'Under canvas, on a ground sheet, with your tent flaps open wide.'

Does he like to sleep with the tent flaps open wide or is there another meaning?

Discuss

He also likes it ON THE DESK...

What's the point?

It's about an office romance...probably nothing to do with Morrissey himself

He also likes it ON THE DESK...

What's the point?

It's about an office romance...probably nothing to do with Morrissey himself

Shows where your mind's at -- the office! :p

I thought desk and the whole "leather elbows [patches professors are so fond of wearing] on a tweed coat" jibe referred to placed the song in an academic setting. I had (not in the carnal sense!) a maths teacher in middle school who was English, and he ALWAYS wore tweed jackets (with leather elbows). In the US, the stereotypical professor wears a tweed jacket with leather elbows.

Tent flaps, meat flaps, labia majora/minora, eh? Moz opened his legs when he sang the part about tent flaps in concert. Do you know what the butterfly (dance move) is? Moz did something like that for a very brief moment. He really moves well for a white guy! :p

It's a simple song about infidelity, with the typically Morrissey twist- he's aghast at the ordinariness of the person his lover is cheating on him with- leather elbows, tweed coat? How predictable. And also at their recklessness and lack of discretion and triteness- you couldn't even close the tent flaps before you started in? "On the desk is where I want you?" so prosaic.

Love moz.

It's a simple song about infidelity, with the typically Morrissey twist- he's aghast at the ordinariness of the person his lover is cheating on him with- leather elbows, tweed coat? How predictable. And also at their recklessness and lack of discretion and triteness- you couldn't even close the tent flaps before you started in? "On the desk is where I want you?" so prosaic.

Yes, I would agree that the song is probably about infidelity and in classic double entendre fashion, the reference to the tent flaps touches upon several meanings, but I dunno if the song is really that simple or limited.

Is a tweed coat with leather elbows the epitome of ordinariness? To me if it doesn't signify professorial stereotype, it sez dignified, gentle, old English men from a time that has passed long ago. Even if it means ordinary to English folks, it was only ordinary in a quaint time, wasn't it?

I once saw Morrissey in tweed some years ago. He was in his "disguise" -- northern flat cap and big ole aviator sunglasses. But it wasn't a very good disguise since he stood out like a huge freak -- who the f*** wears tweed from head to toe in Hollywood in JULY?! NB: He was not wearing leather/pleather patches on the elbows!

As for the academic setting, the title "Alsatian Cousin" is taken from a line in Alan Bennett's play "Forty Years On" which is set in a school. Playwright Alan Bennett was Morrissey's neighbor for a while, too. I think this play went on to become a film called "The History Boys" or summat. And didn't the soundtrack feature a Smiffs song?

Well, yes... to me, the tweed coat with leather elbow patches SCREAMS academic... but a very tenured soft of academic... to me it says small, well-endowed and very expensive liberal arts college- which is admittedly colored through my American glasses.

Whenever I listened to this song, from the first time, I pictured the desk actually being in the front corner of a classroom in a hundred year old school building- the kind with lots of windows. I pictured the view if you were standing in front of the desk, looking across the desk, seeing the scribbled saucy note, and across the chair back to the open window with a sunny fall breeze blowing leaves around outside. So few words, yet so evocative.

Yet another reason why I love his poetry.

Back
Top Bottom