What about "I will see you in far-off places"

Mozzarella

Sailorgirl
So Morrissey's decided to release all these half-baked singles that don't stand a chance in the charts (not that it matters to anyone but him....).

But what about "I will see you in far-off places"? Yes it's quirky and brave but I think it's a killer song and would easily make a great single....

...whoa and just imagine the video. Before my third eye I see this sahara desert setting with Moz back in his priest outfit and loads of Matrix like special effects.

But alas, that's not gonna happen anywhere else but before my third eye.

Mozzarella said:
So Morrissey's decided to release all these half-baked singles that don't stand a chance in the charts (not that it matters to anyone but him....).

But what about "I will see you in far-off places"? Yes it's quirky and brave but I think it's a killer song and would easily make a great single....

...whoa and just imagine the video. Before my third eye I see this sahara desert setting with Moz back in his priest outfit and loads of Matrix like special effects.

I adore what your third eye sees!

I didn't think much to the song at first but i like it alot now
so i would not mind buying it

Would his name be "Mozzeus"?

Mozzarella said:

I didn't like it when I first heard it and I only like it a bit more now. I'd be surprised if it scraped in to the top 40 if it were released as a single.

I still blame the leaking of this number as the main reason behind the lukewarm reception to the album. Many of us were still scarred from this upon ROTT's release.

it's probably one of my least favorite tracks on ringleader, but i would be very curious to see what the video for it would be.

Suzanne said:
Would his name be "Mozzeus"?

:D LOl!

Anyway, imo it's one of the best songs of the album. The guitar riff is addictive and fascinating and I adore the final chanting gibberish...

If it takes us, disciples of Morrissey, to accept the song what are the ignorant masses that make up the chart-market going to think?

I had to see the song live to fully appreciate it. "You Have Killed Me", "Irish Blood English Heart" etc - all have an instant impact that "I Will See You...." does not.

It's been said before but I think the only remaining song to hit the charts with would be On The Streets I Ran.

Well 'Irish Blood, English Heart' isn't really in the question as it happens do be on a different album....

Quarry had the much stronger singles all the way, but again, that's not the point.

'You have killed me' is a 'grower' at best. But there's something tense and electrifying about the very first chords of 'Far off-places' that none of the other tracks have.

I also like 'On the streets I ran' but it's badly produced.... Morrissey's vocal track has several serious flaws in it that no other artist would have gotten away with. I bet when Tony raised his voice to demand another go at recording, Moz just told him to shut up....

But let's face it, NO single off this album will leave a memorable impression on the charts.

I don't like this album to honest. -there I said it. LIVE the material is good, but not Grand....rambling.......you need an easy on the ears type of single (as Irish Blood left you behind with a gasp: wow, what happened there! An uplifting surprise). These songs are just asking too much of the general public (and yes, that includes myself unfortunately).

I like the album-Prefer YATQ.

But I Will See You......
is a wicked track. One of the best on the album.

I always get the impression like, who's gonna buy it?
We all have it already, and most probably have the B-side already.

Mozzarella said:
Well 'Irish Blood, English Heart' isn't really in the question as it happens do be on a different album....

Quarry had the much stronger singles all the way, but again, that's not the point.

'You have killed me' is a 'grower' at best. But there's something tense and electrifying about the very first chords of 'Far off-places' that none of the other tracks have.

I also like 'On the streets I ran' but it's badly produced.... Morrissey's vocal track has several serious flaws in it that no other artist would have gotten away with. I bet when Tony raised his voice to demand another go at recording, Moz just told him to shut up....

But let's face it, NO single off this album will leave a memorable impression on the charts.

Mozzarella - I didn't realise this discussion was exclusively concerning Ringleader - I was using the previous single/Quarry to make my point which I think I did.

You Have Killed Me is much more appealing to the average non-Morrissey than anything since Quarry and certainly could not be considered a "grower at best" - it's one of the strongest songs on the album. But then there are many, just like there are opinions.

As JeanneDarc says, it has to appeal to the masses and "I Will See You..." just wouldn't, not in the same way as the examples I gave. I'm sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear!

mjp said:
Mozzarella - I didn't realise this discussion was exclusively concerning Ringleader - I was using the previous single/Quarry to make my point which I think I did.

Well my point was that considering all the weak singles which are being released, there could have been a better choice made... Quarry would not be a good comparing example as it had killer singles all the way through. No wonder all four singles made the UK top 10, they were catchy, energetic and each had their own appeal. Ringleader lacks that quality, it's a fan album.

mjp said:
You Have Killed Me is much more appealing to the average non-Morrissey than anything since Quarry and certainly could not be considered a "grower at best" - it's one of the strongest songs on the album. But then there are many, just like there are opinions.

See I don't agree... It's an okay song, but it's average and boring and would have dissapeared on some b-side if released by someone else. I've played it to non-Morrissey fans and they were amazingly unimpressed.

mjp said:
As JeanneDarc says, it has to appeal to the masses and "I Will See You..." just wouldn't, not in the same way as the examples I gave. I'm sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear!

But there's enough examples of songs that became hits because they stood out and were different than other songs at that particular time. 'Far off-places' certainly is, it's not only different to anything else that's around but also to almost anything Morrissey's ever done.

And yes you're right, that's not what I wanted to hear and I'm gonna go to bed now and cry all night long......

Mozzarella said:
But there's enough examples of songs that became hits because they stood out and were different than other songs at that particular time. 'Far off-places' certainly is, it's not only different to anything else that's around but also to almost anything Morrissey's ever done.

I agree...Anyway I don't think this is a fan album. The problem is that YATQ is a masterpiece and it was so hard to write something so visceral, emotional, touching and magnificent after that. Some lyrics of ROTT are not unforgettable, there are maybe too mid-tempo and violins, but "Life is a Pigsty" for example is striking, dramatic, epic. Some friends of mine anyway love the album, and they're not fans. There aren't in any case a lot of killer singles to be released and so a lot of persons simply don't know it...It's the same old story...

I think you both have valid points there. However you perceive it from the die-hard fan's point of view. Let me give you a new fan's perspective:

Act I. You have killed me.

You have killed me is primary responsible for me being here. If I haven't heard it on the radio, I wouldn't buy the album, wouldn't go to see Morrissey live and wouldn't be converted into Morrissey-ism. I believe that is the main purpose of the single and I believe that YHKM has served it's purpose well.

When I heard it on the radio in the gym, I nearly fell off the treadmill. It sounded nothing like the rest of the music out there.

I came home, found the site that was streaming it and was streaming it for 2 days non-stop, and then the album came out and I bought it.

Definitely not a grower, but a catchy song and a good lure. (My non Morrissey friends all agree).

Act II. I Will See You In Far Off Places.

When the CD arrived, I put it on and the first track was of course I Will See You In Far Off Places. Now, that was totally not what I expected after hearing the single. But it really did have the so-called "wow factor". It took me quite some time to move to the next song.

At that point I was totally unbiased, didn't really know much about Morrissey (apart from having few Smiths records, that I listened from time to time, mostly for Marr's music I think. Strangely I never fully got into Smiths until Morrissey brought the songs to life at the show. I probably struggled to relate to something that seemed so distant in time).

Judging from my own experience I'm not convinced about the choice of the singles to follow. I'm not sure I would buy the album if I heard The Youngest first, as it took me several months, several live performances and a trip to Rome to finally get into it.

Far Off places, on the other hand, grabbed my attention straight away, that's why I believe it could've made an interesting single. And it doesn't really have to represent the album, it just has to lure people into buying it.
And of course the main thing is that it MUST be on the radio.

I don't like far-off...it reminds me of Sting's Desert Rose.

Back
Top Bottom