What do you think - should I bring my child?

Volume at rock concerts can be between 110-140db. The worlds best earplugs, precisely fitted, will block a maximum of 33db. The highest NRR for childrens earplugs I've seen is 29db, meaning they will block 29dbs of volume. Any noise louder than a regular conversation, around 60db will damage hearing. I don't know if children are more susceptible to hearing loss than adults. Tinnitus cannot be cured.

No. Actually I think you should bring my child.
:)

Really, i think you should decide this one on your own. Don't take strangers' advice. ((But wait. If you do what I just suggested, you would be. Ah, a paradox!)) (yep, it's time for bed...)

I recently took my 4 year old son to both the TJ and Vegas concerts. Both of which we had seated tickets for. We were in one one of the lower boxes, just higher than the GA floor in TJ and in a second level balcony in Vegas. He enjoyed the shows at first, then fell asleep. He behaved perfectly and I did not have to be taking him to the bathroom or anywhere else AT ALL. However, parents know their own kids best, and if you know your kid is gonna be asking to go potty constantly or whining or whatever, then don't take them, mostly for your own sake and Moz enjoyment.

BUT.... I would NOT take him to a GA ONLY concert unless we stood off to the side and I would NOT try to get him to the front of the pit. Ever. AND... he wears ear plugs. He is afraid of fireworks and with these earplugs in he cannot hear them and doesn't get scared, therefore I know they work well enough for the concerts (because he didn't complain or cover his ears with his hands).

If you really want to take your kid then go ofor it. Let them have some fun too!! :)

I have unfortunately been unable to sell a front row ticket that I bought for a friend through a broker. I have a 6 year old daughter who LOVES Morrissey's music. It's a seated venue for the Boston show. What do you think - should I bring her? (she really wants to go). But after some of the comments on this board about people using their kids blah blah blah... I am unsure of what to do. I wouldn't be "using" her to get to Morrissey - as we'd be in the front row anyway. Help!

I will repeat what I have said in a previous post. I don't think that it is a good idea. For starters you are exposing her to a very loud speaker source and her ears are still young. You do not want to do damage and that includes the aspect of her wearing earplugs.

Second it can be very chaotic. I think the majority of Morrissey fans are a decent lot but you have to ask yourself. Do you trust a rowdy crowd at a rock concert not to do anything to injure your child? Are you powerful enough to shield her from an immediate crowd of people that are going to push and shove to where you are?

Do you trust that if anyone throws anything to the stage that if their throw is short that you will see it coming from behind and NOT hit your daughter? These are things that happen at shows. Please do not take it as a criticism. Its a nice thought to bring your kid to a concert it is simply not something where you can trust other people.

If I had a kid about the age of 5 or 6 I would take them to a baseball game but to one that was not sold out and I would buy seats out of the way of the general crowd. I would not take my young kid to a sold out World Series game. Just my 2 cents.

I have unfortunately been unable to sell a front row ticket that I bought for a friend through a broker. I have a 6 year old daughter who LOVES Morrissey's music. It's a seated venue for the Boston show. What do you think - should I bring her? (she really wants to go). But after some of the comments on this board about people using their kids blah blah blah... I am unsure of what to do. I wouldn't be "using" her to get to Morrissey - as we'd be in the front row anyway. Help!

six?
No.

I have a 7 year old, and I was really considering bringing him to one of the shows near here. It's a fully seated venue, and I had an extra front row seat. He wanted to go, and would have enjoyed it. For about ten minutes. I want to go there at doors, hear all the intro music, hear Kristeen's set, watch the videos, everything. I do not want to leave and take somebody to the potty six times. I do not want to listen to somebody whining he's bored after the third song. I do not want to worry about an invader stepping on my kid's head trying to assault Moz. And, I explained that since we're in the front row, there was a very real possibility he could get pulled up on stage because he is an adorable little thing, and that idea made him very nervous- he is shy. Don't want to traumatize him.

Also, I do not really want to address the question, "Mommy? What's a lazy dyke?" or anything else of that ilk. Morrissey's music is not really intended for 7 year olds. I'm fine with truth and full disclosure, I just like that stuff to come up gradually so I can explain things in palatable, comprehensible chunks.

We had a special "date" and I took him to go see Blue Man Group instead. He was thrilled and it was much more kid-appropriate. Although, They Might Be Giants are touring, I should look into that- my son loves them.

I think the very early teens are a good time to start going to shows- that's when I started, about 12.

So, as a parent of a child about that age, that's my two cents. Hope it's helpful.

Well said, Pregs -you hit the nail on the head. Mama does know best ;)
Sorry I will miss meeting baby Moz but happy that you will be hands-free! Does this mean TIKI BAR?!!! As much as I'd love to bring my 7 yr old to a show, and she'd want to go, in the end... is it as much fun for me? Nah. But I hope to take her someday. When I'm old and gray and decrepid -she'll invade the stage in honor of her Mom & give the ol man a gentle hug. She doesn't want to kiss boys. Yet :p

p.s. Nugz is right - props to all Moz-raised-children!! Coolness is hereditary!

I actually envy you choice...

I have a much bigger quandry: My daughter wants to go to see Hannah Montanna! Can you sharpen up those knitting needles Prego? I mean, come on! Dad started going to Medusa's at 14, Metro at 16, and Jail at 18 (that last part is not true but did make me sound hard). I fear I will be stuck between two Soccer Moms with Choose Life t-shirts.

My boys love my music and go to concerts with me-but there are excpetions. Parents, don't let the masses dictate your morality and child rearing. Would I bring my kid to the Morrissey show? No (see picture to left). But I would not lool down upon you if you did. It's not like your taking the child to a Hannah Montanna show.

I was front row Boston 3 years ago tonight. You are so close to the stage and there are security I think that a 6 year old would be safe and get to see a great show.:cool:
Kate

I actually envy you choice...

I have a much bigger quandry: My daughter wants to go to see Hannah Montanna! Can you sharpen up those knitting needles Prego? I mean, come on! Dad started going to Medusa's at 14, Metro at 16, and Jail at 18 (that last part is not true but did make me sound hard). I fear I will be stuck between two Soccer Moms with Choose Life t-shirts.

My boys love my music and go to concerts with me-but there are excpetions. Parents, don't let the masses dictate your morality and child rearing. Would I bring my kid to the Morrissey show? No (see picture to left). But I would not lool down upon you if you did. It's not like your taking the child to a Hannah Montanna show.

Oh, dear god... Hannah Montana. I'm so sorry, SD. Fortunately my guys are guys, so we're safe from that kind of thing.

My parents never took me to concerts... I went alone! Yes, at 12. My dad tried to get me to go to Chris DeBurgh with him, but I think I was off seeing Peter Gabriel that night instead.

I HAVE to ask- what's with the avatar? It reminds me of a story, which goes something like this: Do not taunt your baby brother when your two front teeth are already loose, for he shall punch you in the mouth and knock them all the way out. It was so, so funny. I'm still giggling.

PFTLT, you are right on!!

Long story short: Big brother gets boxing gloves for birthday (the store was out of BB guns and lawn jarts) , younger brother goes into room and takes his PSP, big brother puts on his gloves, younger brother grabs the other set, big brother swings, younger brother fails to duck and presto-another round of questioning from the school and one step closer to our first DCFS meeting. I love this shot of him, it captured a moment in time that defined him: Never stand down-question everything-and leave it all on the floor. That would be son #4 who does the most wicked chorus of "Hang the DJ" your ears will ever hear! So, he is my picture for the moment (I had to have my graphic designer size it and drop it in).

What's with your AVATAR?

I took my son (age-8) this year to the San Diego show...We were not up front but somewhat in the middle...and it went well..it wasn't to crazy that night.....He had been wanting to go for a while...I guess he wanted to see for himself the person who he was named after (including middle name)...He really enjoyed himself and after the show he wanted to know when he was going again...But I won't be talking him to the palladium shows because I know that place will be rockin'..even in the back....

Long story short: Big brother gets boxing gloves for birthday (the store was out of BB guns and lawn jarts) , younger brother goes into room and takes his PSP, big brother puts on his gloves, younger brother grabs the other set, big brother swings, younger brother fails to duck and presto-another round of questioning from the school and one step closer to our first DCFS meeting. I love this shot of him, it captured a moment in time that defined him: Never stand down-question everything-and leave it all on the floor. That would be son #4 who does the most wicked chorus of "Hang the DJ" your ears will ever hear! So, he is my picture for the moment (I had to have my graphic designer size it and drop it in).

What's with your AVATAR?

Oh, good one. You have five then? Wow.

My avatar was actually taken by son #1. It's cropped from a larger picture, to provide a tantalizing glimpse of me without actually showing my face. Must maintain my secret identity at all costs.

We brought our 6 yr. old son to see Moz a couple of times over the summer and he had the best time. It also seems like Moz gets a kick out of it. Go for it!

What's with your AVATAR?

I know the feeling. My younger brother and I have never quite gotten along. Mom had forced me to take him with my friends and I to the movies. Ny brother was being annoying. My friends and I were annoyed he was with us and the more annoying he got the more it grated us. We made fun of him to the point that he took a rather hefty soccer kick at my face as I was sitting on the curb waiting for mom to pick us up. I put my hand up and it sent my hand wrapped to the back of my arm snapping my wrist. I was supposed to be playing in the Empire State Games which was like New York States personal olympics.

Two weeks later we are all out playing basketball... (Yes I am wearing a cast). My brother starts rubbing it in my nose that I am not playing in the Empire games and that I am losing in basketball. He gives me a bump and so... I tripped him. I tripped him in such a way it snapped his leg. He broke his ankle clean across.

A couple of days later, Grandmother slips and falls breaking her elbow.

A couple of weeks later I get out of my cast for the wrist and go skateboarding only to break my elbow.

We all went to the same orthopedist surgeon. It was at this point they sat me down and asked me the following...
Dr: "Does mom and dad every get angry?"
Me: "Umm sure"
Dr: "Can you tell us how mom and dad show you they are angry?"

I laughed...

Back
Top Bottom