Why Morrissey doesn't sell out his concert anymore....

B

Blue Balls

It is because he has always given the fans less then what they want. Come on...60 shows. Who wants to pay $60 dollars to see the man for a show. Seems some of his openning acts play longer then he does.

Also, his choice of songs is truely laughable. I mean is one thing to play November Spawned for the hundredth time, it another to play Munich Air Distaster at all. If he wants to sell out shows he need to add a few more popular Smiths songs and some more of his popular songs. Find out for yourself or More you ignore me, or Girlfriend in a Coma, etc...

Morrissey does this to himself. If he wanted the fame he could have it, just give the fans everything you got. Play hits, acoustic, maybe alittle paino, a few great ballets, and some rockers. Also for god sake, extend the encore for more then one song. I think Morrissey might be the only band in history with a one song encore.

To give you an quick comparision: Counting Crows plays for 2 straight hours with 8 less albums. That should tell you something right there.

There are planty more examples. These are just a few.

> Counting Crows plays for 2 straight
> hours with 8 less albums. That should tell you something right there.

Yes, it does...

> It is because he has always given the fans less then what they want. Come
> on...60 shows. Who wants to pay $60 dollars to see the man for a show.
> Seems some of his openning acts play longer then he does.

> Also, his choice of songs is truely laughable. I mean is one thing to play
> November Spawned for the hundredth time, it another to play Munich Air
> Distaster at all. If he wants to sell out shows he need to add a few more
> popular Smiths songs and some more of his popular songs. Find out for
> yourself or More you ignore me, or Girlfriend in a Coma, etc...

> Morrissey does this to himself. If he wanted the fame he could have it,
> just give the fans everything you got. Play hits, acoustic, maybe alittle
> paino, a few great ballets, and some rockers. Also for god sake, extend
> the encore for more then one song. I think Morrissey might be the only
> band in history with a one song encore.

> To give you an quick comparision: Counting Crows plays for 2 straight

> There are planty more examples. These are just a few.

Some piece of shit band like the Counting Crows has to beg for somebody to like them.

Counting Crows??? Truly laughable!!!

> Some piece of shit band like the Counting Crows has to beg for somebody to
> like them.

OH YEAH, WASH YOUR HAIR!

Re: Counting Crows??? Truly laughable!!!

> OH YEAH, WASH YOUR HAIR!

I do think his set is far too short though, he no sooner appears and he's leaving us! Well thats what it feels like.

Re: Counting Crows???

i accompanied my mum to go and see the counting crows because she wanted to go and no one else would go with her, it was utter poo, even my mum said it was gay.

LOL! I was praying someone else was thinking the same thing as me on this one... (that's about 2 hours too long, eh?)

I've never left a Morrissey gig feeling let down or cheated. They are expensive but I'm happy to pay it because I always have a good night.

I disagree that he should play more Smiths songs, I love it when he does play them but The Smiths don't exist now and when he's done such amazing material by himself why should he be expected to ignore that and play more Smiths stuff than he does. Of course there's older solo stuff that I would love him to play, I'd love to hear more off Vauxhall, viva hate and even Kill Uncle but, not even counting The Smiths work, he's got so many songs that it's impossible to play them all - or even a good percentage of them. Also, he's rightly proud of You are the Quarry and wants to play that. Yeah, I would like the gigs to be longer but however long they were I would always want them to be longer.

So yes, tickets are expensive.
No, i don't see why he should have to play non-stop Smiths stuff to get people to go to his gigs.
Yes, I'd love a longer set
Yes, a longer encore would be great

But all in all I love to see him live and have never been disappointed and I would rather be seeing moz than Counting crows any day! In fact, I can't think of much worse than 2 hours of counting crows!

Just my thoughts on the matter.

An hour and a half is a good time for a Morrissey gig, I don't think many people could survive in the crush for much longer, lol! And Moz has had no trouble selling out his UK dates, though I do agree that ticket prices have been a bit steep (£27 for Earls Court?!?).

It sounds though like you want Morrissey to turn into a greatest hits act! He usually plays three rotating Smiths songs a set, plus some of his older solo material, so I don't understand your complaint. He's got a new album to promote. The news songs are great live, and it's fantastic to hear some new material from him after so long.

Besides, he's playing How Soon Is Now again, which kicks the pants off of every other song! What more could you possibly want? :p

Re: Morrissey should NEVER be about three hour shows!

The pop experience is all about staying hungry, about always wanting just a little bit more. Morrissey provides just that, and keeps us coming back for more time and time again. I love him for it. I would hate him to be some boring rock cliché a la Springsteen or The Stones who play for four hours, trying to please everyone and ultimately pleasing noone.
Morrissey is a stubborn bastard and he sings the songs that HE feels like singing... and we love him for it.

Re: Morrissey should NEVER be about three hour shows!

the worst sets ive seen are where they cater to the masses. you dont want a greatest hits of songs youve heard too many times, you want a couple of rare ones. i really enjoyed munich air disaster. but i agree a few more less-played songs need to see the light of the stage, especially ones from vauhall.

> An hour and a half is a good time for a Morrissey gig, I don't think many
> people could survive in the crush for much longer, lol! And Moz has had no
> trouble selling out his UK dates, though I do agree that ticket prices
> have been a bit steep (£27 for Earls Court?!?).

> It sounds though like you want Morrissey to turn into a greatest hits act!
> He usually plays three rotating Smiths songs a set, plus some of his older
> solo material, so I don't understand your complaint. He's got a new album
> to promote. The news songs are great live, and it's fantastic to hear some
> new material from him after so long.

> Besides, he's playing How Soon Is Now again, which kicks the pants off of
> every other song! What more could you possibly want? :p

I totally agree with you! I mean the leave the guy alone, I can't understand why people always complain, I agree that he could include 2 or 3 more songs in his set, but then if he does people would probably ask for 6 more anyway etc... besides who says he doesn't sell out anymore: The venues he's touring for the few next weeks are bigger and that's probably why it's not sold out yet. However if you check out tickets for Earl's court London, you 'll notice that all standing tickets are now gone as well half of the seating ones and the concert is only scheduled for december. (15,000 tickets)!!!

Re: Morrissey's concerts are just fine the way they are!!

> It is because he has always given the fans less then what they want

Morrissey concerts will always leave the audience wanting more, because that is the nature of the Morrissey fan. Do you really want a series of *fillers* such as duets, band solos, dancers, comedians, fireworks, or do you want to see and hear Morrissey?

I know what my choice is. If I get 17 or 18 songs, I'm in Morrissey heaven.

Well, I don't know what the issue is with the US audience, but he certainly doesn't seem to be having any such problems in the UK where he is selling out large arenas and small venues alike with fairly high ticket prices (and exorbitant booking fees it has to be said).

I'm not sure if Earls Court has sold out yet, but I read someone say that 75% of tickets were sold, with all standing allocation gone by the end of two days of general sale.

If anything, the UK demand across the country isn't being satiated, and I get the impression the same goes for the rest of Europe. The shows are still brilliant, even if the atmosphere isn't as good in the arenas as it is at places like Brixton Academy. The only thing I wish for is that Moz get rid of the bloody MORRISSEY sign, because it's kind of distracting - don't ask me why, it just is.

Maybe Morrissey has fallen out of favour or fashion stateside...if you don't want the shows, he should cash in and schedule more over here and in Europe.

Re: US media doesn't even mention Morrissey

> Well, I don't know what the issue is with the US audience, but he
> certainly doesn't seem to be having any such problems in the UK

The UK media has kept Morrissey's name in the foreground all summer. I would never have known Morrissey even scheduled a US tour except for the internet. Even the newspapers where his concerts are scheduled (that I've seen) have mentioned a word of them. I've not seen his videos on TV. Sanctuary has dropped the ball when it comes to US promotion.

Back
Top Bottom