Would a 'Very Best of Morrissey and the Smiths' CD be heresy?

sid james

Stone me!
I've been thinking about the upcoming latest 'greatest hits' CD, the rumours regarding Morrissey signing with Warners (who already own the Smiths back catalogue), and the record amounts of old Smiths numbers performed on the current 'Greatest Hits' tour and wondering - what if the new compilation turns out to be a 'Very Best of Morrissey and the Smiths' affair?

I've seen this done with numerous other artists who have split from bands and then scored solo hits, but do you think it would be heresy to combine Moz and the Smiths on one collection? Would it relegate the Smiths to a bunch of backing musicians? Or would a 2 disc Smiths/Moz collection be a worthwhile overview for the casual fan?

Hersey?

No, Blasphemy....the only thing worse would be a P. Diddy remix of "How Soon Is Now?" included as a bonus track

The Johnny Marr fans heads would explode. :eek:

It's inevitable it will happen one day though (people already use the term Smiths/Morrissey to indicate a body of work), but probably once Johnny and Morrissey are dead.

Maybe they could re-record the drums with a new session drummer while they are doing the remixes/remasters? ;)

that wouldn't work as he now gets a % for 'writing' the songs along with Morrissey/Marr.

that wouldn't work as he now gets a % for 'writing' the songs along with Morrissey/Marr.

No he doesn't get any composing royalties. If he did Morrissey would instantly stop performing ANY Smiths songs live! I'm presuming Johnny does actually get a cheque every now and then for all those live performances of his songs?

I think that if it meant Joyce getting royalties Morrissey would take it to the Court of Human Rights.:p

It might be wrong but history is starting to show them as Morrissey's first band. I'm sure that's how it must look to a new Morrissey fan.

No he doesn't get any composing royalties. If he did Morrissey would instantly stop performing ANY Smiths songs live! I'm presuming Johnny does actually get a cheque every now and then for all those live performances of his songs?

You can't get royalties from songs performed.

Hersey?

No, Blasphemy....the only thing worse would be a P. Diddy remix of "How Soon Is Now?" included as a bonus track

Why not ,have a best of Smiths/Morrissey? I can see no good reason against it whatsoever
It's not aimed at those on here who have every MOz/Smiths song anyway.

ALso,i'd LOVE to hear a P Diddy remix :)

I think that if it meant Joyce getting royalties Morrissey would take it to the Court of Human Rights.:p

Yes, I think Morrissey and Marr would be happy to inflate their bank accounts at this stage in their career and do something to spawn further sales of the back The Smiths catalog. However, given Morrissey's feelings towards Joyce, I just cannot see it happening.

Back
Top Bottom