Alain Whyte's favourite songs he wrote with Moz

I assume the 'cryptic remark' is when Alain pulled Moz aside and said 'I know who is planning your downfall. It is not me'...

Everyone assumes that Alain was referring to Boz, but the more I think about it, I think he may have been referring to Morrissey himself. Let's face it, in terms of his career, Morrissey often seems to be a very-self destructive person.

What drugs are you on? I never read anything which led me to believe there is a feeling of disdain on Moz's part. Quite the contrary, actually. Not everything in life is plain to see. You have to read between the lines. I just say "as if it could have happened with anybody." i.e. it was something special.

And I don't know how couldn't you notice his disdain. The Rome comment, so on....pitiful.

Everyone assumes that Alain was referring to Boz, but the more I think about it, I think he may have been referring to Morrissey himself. Let's face it, in terms of his career, Morrissey often seems to be a very-self destructive person.

The biggest contributor to Morrissey's downfall is Jesse Tobias.

And I don't know how couldn't you notice his disdain. The Rome comment, so on....pitiful.

And do you know what a strong feeling 'disdain' actually is? People have a certain dynamic with one another and 'The Rome Comment' as you put it ... Well, my brother and myself are saying similar things to one another and do you know what? We call that "to tease someone". It's a game we play since we are children and I can assure you that we don't despise each other.

Slight dig at Boz? Alain's cryptic comment to Moz before his own departure was most likely in reference to B, no?

First three choices are sterling (plus addition of Seasick… Absolutely). Never would've guessed Ambitious Outsiders. Trouble Loves Me towers over it, among countless other tracks.
But it could also be about the experience of recording it, his mindset when he wrote it, something Morrissey said about it.

Morrissey recently said how much he enjoyed writing with Alain and now Alain is talking. Who knows?

i think if you take the vocal out of both songs the musical composition of ambitious outsiders is pretty sweet

That was the quote I was referring to.

I don't know Alain from Adam, but after all the insights into his character over the past 20 odd years I'd find it hard to believe he'd allude to Morrissey while talking to Morrissey (that'd be a strange thing for anyone to do). It may not have been Boz, of course, but had trouble coming up with other likely candidates with the history that Boz has.

There was tension between Alain and Boz about whose songs coming on the record, when Morrissey signed to Sanctuary/Attack, Boz also signed a deal with Sanctuary,
I think that was the breaking moment, after a few gigs in the Quarry tour, Alain stept back...no reason ever given, than a song
' no on can hold a candle for you ' till Refusal Alain worked on his own and added some songs Morrissey albums Rott and YOR.

the last album, which I hope for all the ones who didn't got it, get re-released [it's good, a must have] sadly no news on the meeting with Elektra

and the boke with his insane mention about groupies, Alain was very much on his own has/d a girlfriend, and was vegan..

'and they say he's mentall' ..Whyteside forever...

Last edited:
i don't have much to contribute to the discussion other than I really, really miss Alain, he seems like a top bloke. And whilst I enjoyed World Peace..., I do miss Alain's compositions.

Pigsty is a gem.

And do you know what a strong feeling 'disdain' actually is? People have a certain dynamic with one another and 'The Rome Comment' as you put it ... Well, my brother and myself are saying similar things to one another and do you know what? We call that "to tease someone". It's a game we play since we are children and I can assure you that we don't despise each other.

He talked about them growing apart, his unease about Alain wanting to be on the cover of an album, going for walks with Jesse Tobias and distancing himself from Alain, slagging Alain on the bus, Alain's hatred of Boz i.e. Alain's difficult nature.

If you are reading between the lines and see teasing about these incidents then I'm really curious about your social life.

That was the quote I was referring to.

I don't know Alain from Adam, but after all the insights into his character over the past 20 odd years I'd find it hard to believe he'd allude to Morrissey while talking to Morrissey (that'd be a strange thing for anyone to do). It may not have been Boz

I've missed this "downfall" comment, can someone explain it's context in the World of Moz? Where did it come from?

What drugs are you on? I never read anything which led me to believe there is a feeling of disdain on Moz's part. Quite the contrary, actually. Not everything in life is plain to see. You have to read between the lines. I just say "as if it could have happened with anybody." i.e. it was something special.

I refer you to Alain's threat to write a book about his time with Morrissey, Morrissey's wobble down the tour bus after telling Alain that Rome was actually built in a day and countless sniping at ex-band members who are unable to leave the Morrissey "mothership" despite leaving his band.

I refer you to Alain's threat to write a book about his time with Morrissey, Morrissey's wobble down the tour bus after telling Alain that Rome was actually built in a day and countless sniping at ex-band members who are unable to leave the Morrissey "mothership" despite leaving his band.

People need to get their vocabulary right. Alain didn't threat to write a book about his time with Morrissey. He asked for permission to do so which according to Morrissey is quite pointless because Alain doesn't need his permission in the first place. We don't learn if Morrissey asked him not to write a book but apparently he doesn't fear it because there is nothing exciting to write about (see the 'watched me whilst sleeping' remark). Does Moz like the prospect of people writing books about him? No, that we can be sure about. A friend should know and respect that. And the mothership remark can sound quite arrogant but is actually spot on. The world is a large place. People could move on but they rarely do. And again regarding 'the Rome comment' ... really? Morrissey always says those kind oft things, to Tim Broad, to Mikey Farrell and I'm sure to many others. What is the point? Also people seem to willingly ignore other facts. Do you remember the Maladjusted liner notes from 2010? Morrissey says beautiful things about Alains writing. But of course these things don't count, do they?

People need to get their vocabulary right. Alain didn't threat to write a book about his time with Morrissey. He asked for permission to do so which according to Morrissey is quite pointless because Alain doesn't need his permission in the first place. We don't learn if Morrissey asked him not to write a book but apparently he doesn't fear it because there is nothing exciting to write about (see the 'watched me whilst sleeping' remark). Does Moz like the prospect of people writing books about him? No, that we can be sure about. A friend should know and respect that. And the mothership remark can sound quite arrogant but is actually spot on. The world is a large place. People could move on but they rarely do. And again regarding 'the Rome comment' ... really? Morrissey always says those kind oft things, to Tim Broad, to Mikey Farrell and I'm sure to many others. What is the point? Also people seem to willingly ignore other facts. Do you remember the Maladjusted liner notes from 2010? Morrissey says beautiful things about Alains writing. But of course these things don't count, do they?

So why on earth does Moz say Hush now after regaling us with the Rome tale?

To paraphrase from the book, you sound like you're a bit self-exiled in the branches of your own tree. Most readers would come to the conclusion that Moz and Alain wee no longer mates. Indeed when strolling through Rome at evening with Mr Tobias Morrissey says his friendship with Alain has run its natural course.

So why on earth does Moz say Hush now after regaling us with the Rome tale?

To paraphrase from the book, you sound like you're a bit self-exiled in the branches of your own tree. Most readers would come to the conclusion that Moz and Alain wee no longer mates. Indeed when strolling through Rome at evening with Mr Tobias Morrissey says his friendship with Alain has run its natural course.

So Alain and Morrissey are no longer mates? I hadn't noticed. Thank you for pointing that one out. This fact was never the issue. Morrissey clearly states that they no longer are so readers don't have to come to that conclusion. I simply tried to point out that Morrissey may have many feelings towards Alain but most certainly not disdain. That word is far too strong. But I don't want to fight. Maybe I'm wrong and everybody else is right. A last thought: Morrissey is no longer friends with Johnny Marr and says a few things about him which aren't too complimentary. Would you say he feels disdain for Johnny?

'Alain nurses an aversion to Boz that creates frequent difficulties.'

'Alain had curdled somewhat prior to You are the Quarry when a letter arrived demanding that Alain's face appear on the cover artwork of the new - and every future - Morrissey Album..... His lawyers also demanded that Alain be given the right to publish his own book detailing his life with Morrissey... I didn't quite relish the thought of Alain with a notepad watching me as I slept.

'I remembered how Alain would apply hair-gel in preparation for bed. I had never come across such an over- developed sense of vanity - funny though it was. 'Why do people always say Rome wasn't built in a day?' Alain once asked me. 'It's just a silly expression because, in fact, Rome WAS actually built in just one day,' I lied straight-faced and honest-toned. 'Reeeeeeeallly?' Alain gasped - the child alive in his eyes. 'Yes,' I confirm, and I wobbled down to my end of the bus. Hush, now.'

'my friendship with Alain had reached its natural term long ago'.

Yes Morrissey praises Alain's musical abilities but he certainly held him in low regard as evidenced by the above any other interpretation is frankly deluded.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom