Big Issue / Robin Ince: "You can grow up to be Morrissey or you can grow up to be Johnny Marr – which are you?" (April 30, 2024)

You can grow up to be Morrissey or you can grow up to be Johnny Marr – which are you?

'Usual' article.
FWD.

Robin Ince's Bibliomaniac book advertised in the above Big Issue contains the following Morrissey mentions:

On the way to Chorlton I pass the Southern Cemetery, inspiration for The Smiths’ ‘Cemetry Gates’, in which Morrissey recalled the ‘dreaded sunny day’ when he would walk around the memorials and slabs with his friend, the artist Linder Sterling, quoting Keats and Yeats and Oscar Wilde.

Richard also appeared on the page on which I first opened Morrissey’s autobiography, ‘and then Richard Boon said something very unhelpful’. Compared to many others, he survived Morrissey’s book unscathed.

I am surrounded by paintings of gardens, so I use this as the spur to talk about nature, chimpanzees and the psychological advantages of looking at acorns and oak trees. I overrun (with permission) and then take questions, which include ‘Do you meditate?’ No. I can’t shut this grey matter up. And ‘Who would win in a fight – Alan Moore or Morrissey?’ Alan Moore would both refuse to fight and at the same time mentally crush Morrissey, so he would be left untouched, but utterly vanquished on the canvas.

my mate used to think that as well for years,its like people thinking the anthology horror films like vault of horror,dr terrors house of horrors were made by hammer and yet they were made by amicus.
as for the article,pile of pish.
I have never heard of anyone thinking it was sun and air, but now mentioned i will always think of that when i bloody hear it.
And i thought the anthology horrors were hammer. And yes, the article was the usual shit

Tough choice. Without Morrissey, Marr certainly wouldn't be 'carrying the torch' for The Smiths, wouldn't have played with his hero Bert Jansch, Brian Ferry, etc. Without Marr, Morrissey might have continued as a published author (James Dean is Not Dead), as a music critic, or just continued as a wallflower. Both Moz and Marr are very fortunate for having formed that band.

New people every day are discovering the magnificence of The Smiths, and that is 100% unavoidable as the music was just too great. It's a shame that these writers pretend to understand what an individual Smiths band member 'represents' in 2024 society. It's a pointless argument really.

The The is about as popular in America as Aztec Camera, so it's a good thing Johnny was in The Smiths. :D

Last edited:
Lets go back to lyrics being complete madness and the name of the song meaning nothing for 1 year, see how it goes.

I present this as an example

yeah, music was once very good, even pop.

But not anymore.

As much as i support Morrissey's right to free speech and do not think he's racist. He hasn't done himself any favours with his "why should i respond, or why should i have to defend myself" comments.

Sadly most people don't read beneath the headlines, they're too lazy or thick to do that. I've lost count of the people i've spoken to, at other bands gigs or at work etc who are into alt music that "used to like Morrissey, before he became racist".

Is there a way back for Morrissey..... No i don't think so. But, my view isn't just based on what others perceive him to be. Where he's taken his music, which moreso live sounds almost karaoke (bar the singing of course, which is still great), the constant negativity in his lyrics, his image, the garbage artwork, the distance he's put between himself and us fans etc...... even the letter to Marr...... cringe

Unless he reaches out to Marr, sadly he's finished

Only one thing worse than being talked about

Nonsense article with a nonsense headline. Because of course everyone is so uncomplicated they can be neatly categorised into a simply labelled box.
They all forget Morrissey's superb output post Smiths. There is no comparison with the patchy releases by a post Smiths Marr. I'm not against Johnny - he's great when he's paired with the right partner. But Morrissey is great, full stop.
Anyways, I can have both - there's no need to choose.

You can grow up to be Morrissey or you can grow up to be Johnny Marr – which are you?
Oh for fkk sake shut up. This world is fking unravelling. Listen to whatever can sustain you through another day.

Morrissey's work steeled me against a rough April; that tatwaffle who wrote that article - they did not.

Last edited:
As much as i support Morrissey's right to free speech and do not think he's racist. He hasn't done himself any favours with his "why should i respond, or why should i have to defend myself" comments.

Sadly most people don't read beneath the headlines, they're too lazy or thick to do that. I've lost count of the people i've spoken to, at other bands gigs or at work etc who are into alt music that "used to like Morrissey, before he became racist".

Is there a way back for Morrissey..... No i don't think so. But, my view isn't just based on what others perceive him to be. Where he's taken his music, which moreso live sounds almost karaoke (bar the singing of course, which is still great), the constant negativity in his lyrics, his image, the garbage artwork, the distance he's put between himself and us fans etc...... even the letter to Marr...... cringe

Unless he reaches out to Marr, sadly he's finished

I think what you said is spot on. But I still believe that if he came out with some truly brilliant music and I mean much better than what I heard on BOT or WMTWD... much would be forgiven/overlooked. Of course, even if he does and gets a new record contract - he's going to have to stop the constant canceling on his fans with no explanation. He's just shrinking an already dwindling fanbase.

my mate used to think that as well for years,its like people thinking the anthology horror films like vault of horror,dr terrors house of horrors were made by hammer and yet they were made by amicus.
as for the article,pile of pish.
Misheard lyrics are common, and often comical. Those who fault Morrissey's politics rarely state their own. That'd be asking for it.

'Usual' article.
FWD.

Robert Ince's Bibliomaniac book advertised in the above Big Issue contains the following Morrissey mentions:

On the way to Chorlton I pass the Southern Cemetery, inspiration for The Smiths’ ‘Cemetry Gates’, in which Morrissey recalled the ‘dreaded sunny day’ when he would walk around the memorials and slabs with his friend, the artist Linder Sterling, quoting Keats and Yeats and Oscar Wilde.

Richard also appeared on the page on which I first opened Morrissey’s autobiography, ‘and then Richard Boon said something very unhelpful’. Compared to many others, he survived Morrissey’s book unscathed.

I am surrounded by paintings of gardens, so I use this as the spur to talk about nature, chimpanzees and the psychological advantages of looking at acorns and oak trees. I overrun (with permission) and then take questions, which include ‘Do you meditate?’ No. I can’t shut this grey matter up. And ‘Who would win in a fight – Alan Moore or Morrissey?’ Alan Moore would both refuse to fight and at the same time mentally crush Morrissey, so he would be left untouched, but utterly vanquished on the canvas.
Not Robert, it’s Robin.

He played Stuart Foot in “The Office”.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom