Binyamina-Giv'at Ada - Zappa Amphi Shuni (July 2, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Alma Matters / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Our Frank / I Wish You Lonely / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Knockabout World / Notre-Dame (live debut) / Jim Jim Falls / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Night Pop Dropped / My Hurling Days Are Done / Half A Person / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Loop / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper // Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Hagit Yaron FB.

Last edited:
wild to observe all of this and recall that at one point morrissey fans were erudite, stylish and had decent taste -- now look around at his most ardent supporters, its just embarrassing from top to bottom

your vibe attracts your tribe, as they say
Yeah, there's some mental gymnastics going on this thread pretending that Notre Dame is a good song. It's a bad song altogether. The lyrics are f***ing awful, the tune is a boring dirge (imo), and Morrissey's voice sounds wank without overproduction in the studio.

Killing Jokes recent albums play on these themes in a bit of a more nebulous way, honestly Notre-Dame almost makes Jaz Coleman look subtle in comparison...the difference being is similar to Roger Waters they've both done large-scale issue protest songs as a large part of their portfolio for pretty much their whole career. Whereas Morrissey is not known for protest anthems and he doesnt pull it off well, nor is it what people seem to flock to him for, it's not very Wildean...
Agree. Meat is Murder is a very relevant exeption though.

Yeah, there's some mental gymnastics going on this thread pretending that Notre Dame is a good song. It's a bad song altogether. The lyrics are f***ing awful, the tune is a boring dirge (imo), and Morrissey's voice sounds wank without overproduction in the studio.
Maybe they just like it and you don't.

As I’ve stated many times before, I don’t believe Moz is a racist and that this song necessarily stems from any racist beliefs. I do however, very sadly, think we’re witnessing the end of Moz: surrounded with inept people (Sam, Dodwell etc.) who wrap him in bubblewrap, not getting him the help he needs. That’s not to take the blame away from him: he seems to have a martyr complex that’s only become even more substantial since his mum passed - which in itself seems to have caused a lot of repercussions. The fixation with Christianity for one. It’s just incredibly sad to see this happen to someone you love so much, but I think it’s quite undeniable that it’s (with Alain and Gustavo gone, no record deal in sight) the beginning of the ending stage, where his bizarre need to be the contrarian voice about ANYTHING has gone too far.

Musically Notre-Dame is great, as are the songs from Without Music heard so far. I really like the 70s vibe - I think the album has really strong potential to be great.

As for the polarising lyrics for Notre-Dame:
Notre-Dame, we will not be silent
Notre-Dame, we will not be silent.

It's very march/chant like, which I think the music accompanies very well. You can almost picture a crowd of people outside the building shouting this.

The line that starts Before any investigation... is like a lone voice from the crowd shouting. Someone you would see on the news being interviewed.

And the line Notre-Dame, a cold hand just touched me is direct, personal and vulnerable. Without faith there is no guard against the cold hand of death.

This song has quickly grown on me.

Folks are sayin' the lyrics are so bad, but judgin' by the
reaction here, the lyrics got the job done really well.
Moz got his point across very concisely.

I've not seen many video clips of the show, but from the ones I have seen, he seemed a little lacking in energy/vitality, which I found a bit puzzling, given it was the first show. Age notwithstanding, you would have thought he might have come out bursting with some gusto on an opening night, in his beloved Israel, as opposed to appearing like he didn't really want to be there. Quite odd...unless I've missed the 'energy-filled' clips.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I’ve stated many times before, I don’t believe Moz is a racist and that this song necessarily stems from any racist beliefs. I do however, very sadly, think we’re witnessing the end of Moz: surrounded with inept people (Sam, Dodwell etc.) who wrap him in bubblewrap, not getting him the help he needs. That’s not to take the blame away from him: he seems to have a martyr complex that’s only become even more substantial since his mum passed - which in itself seems to have caused a lot of repercussions. The fixation with Christianity for one. It’s just incredibly sad to see this happen to someone you love so much, but I think it’s quite undeniable that it’s (with Alain and Gustavo gone, no record deal in sight) the beginning of the ending stage, where his bizarre need to be the contrarian voice about ANYTHING has gone too far.

Let's suppose that Morrissey isn't well, psychologically and emotionally.

Should we fans join his haters and make him feel even worse than he might have been feeling?

I don't think so.

I don't like Notre Dame much, but I don't find it catastrophic either. Not the end of anything.

Notre Dame is getting attention from right wing sites already. They're jumping on it. Links will appear on central no doubt. Moz, being hungry for any attention, will be more inclined towards writing similar songs. It's a vicious circle.

The song is instantly forgettable and the unbelievably lame montage of people shushing in the background is ludicrous. There's no evidence to support his premise so he's pointlessly spewing negativity in a big way, and he's doing it for attention. (The boy with the thorn in his brain.)

The band is ok, better than I thought it would be, but doesn't have half the charisma, chemistry, and energy than the previous line-up with Alain and Gustavo. When something is working that well you don't mess with it. I guess Moz is so lost in himself that he can't see it.

I wanted to write this comment before, but then by the same token i think to myself, “what is the point in engaging with people that don’t know how to ever think for themselves?” A lot of you have spent decades arguing (rightly) that not all Smiths or Morrissey songs are necessarily wholly autobiographical to the letter, even when sung in the first person. So that’s like, you can pick out nuance sometimes? But not all of the time? Oh, only when it suits, i always forget. And so many of you are so quick to jump to take excerpts of lyrics the very moment that you think there’s something you can cling on to and possibly jump down his throat or beat him over the head with.

I don’t personally hear *any* words whatsoever in this song that are anti-Muslim or anti-Islam. And that’s separate and despite the fact that there are plenty of Islamic tenets that any free Western person would rightfully object to based on the constructs of our own Western societal norms - and laws.

What I do hear in this song is the repetition of “Before any investigation, they said this is not terrorism”.

If anything, this song could be said to be critiquing the media’s rabid desire to push a certain narrative, at the expense of any and all truth.

Large media groups and conglomerates that dominate the mainstream outlets that have deep rooted political biases based on whichever contingents are funding them never care what the truth is on any subject, as long as the angle and the spin supports the desired chosen narrative of the moment, of the given contingent that is behind the funding. There is always a story that someone wants to tell. And then separately, somewhere, usually the truth can also be found. Sound familiar yet? Have any of you seen this happen anywhere else? Or to anyone else? Is there anybody here who is even capable of one single, independent, coherent string of interconnected thoughts?

Regardless of how you think the fire at Notre Dame started, I don’t see any words in these lyrics that state what a lot of you are saying the lyrics state. As the media has done on many prior occasions and as many of you have done and continue to do, you really do cherry pick his statements as well as his lyrics that some of you personally want to weaponize. It’s gross, and yes I do think Morrissey is super brave for having to deal with the inanity of the many accusations that get endlessly lobbed his way.

Lastly - on the subject of the other main debate that a lot of you are having, which is “quality” of the lyrics themselves: not all songs are built the same, and not all songs need to be the same. Not all songs will be overflowing with creative puns, double entendres, acrobatic semantics and lyrical soliloquies, and nor do they need to be.

This is a somber song, about a shocking and deeply sombre, horrific event of mammoth historical and cultural depth of significance. I think the mood imbued by the rather austere and forceful lyrics and by the beautiful music in both instances mirrors the disturbingly dark element that was the prevailing common thread and collective mood as many people watched this awe-rending destruction and associated images unfold.

Not every single song from Morrissey’s astounding back catalogue has the same meaning or personal significance to me. This is called being a human being. The question is, if this is a song that some of you like less, or dislike, why can’t those of you be accepting of the fact that that’s fine?

Morrissey has nothing to prove to anyone. If you’re one of the people who thinks that the lyrics in this song don’t speak you, who cares.

As someone else said somewhere here recently, “why should i go see Morrissey if i can go see X band for the third time in a month and know for sure I’ll come out of it in a good mood?”” I’m paraphrasing, because I was only skimming when i saw it and wasn’t really paying attention.

But actually, that’s exactly what a lot of you should be doing. And you’ll be happier for it.

I like this song and my sincere opinion is that a lot of the people on this site are genuinely low IQ. That has nothing to do with anything anyone thinks of this particular song. That has do with the embarrassingly poor showing of intelligent thought, interaction, contribution, and discourse. It’s really stupid, all of the time. But yeah, I do think it’s funny if a bunch of you are going to run out to buy tickets to the concerts. And it will be even funnier if those that don’t, just continue to come here to complain how much they don’t like everything that they don’t like. What a life to lead. Lol!

Last edited:
half the people on here complaining are the same ones a few weeks ago that were desperate for a leak of bonfire.
first time listen to not dam,very good music,lyrics a bit crap but its catchy.
band didnt sound any different to when alain and gustav were there,just shows its to easy to replace good musicians with good musicians.

I'm not at all. Every artist I enjoy and admire, I relate to. If Ted Cruz or Tucker Carlson somehow came up with the catchiest most awesome set up songs ever created, there is no way I would be able to get into it. Human nature.
Agreed, my mum loved paul mcCartneys music but absolutely couldnt stand him as a person, i could never get my head round that. If i dont like the artist i cant listen to the music.

I wanted to write this comment before, but then by the same token i think to myself, “what is the point in engaging with people that don’t know how to ever think for themselves?” A lot of you have spent decades arguing (rightly) that not all Smiths or Morrissey songs are necessarily wholly autobiographical to the letter, even when sung in the first person. Yet so many of you are so quick to jump to take excerpts of lyrics the very moment that you think there’s something you can cling on to and possibly jump down his throat or beat him over the head with.

I don’t personally hear *any* words whatsoever in this song that are anti-Muslim or anti-Islam. And that’s separate and despite the fact that there are plenty of Islamic tenets that any free Western person would rightfully object to based on the constructs of our own Western societal norms - and laws.

What I do hear in this song is the repetition of “Before any investigation, they said this is not terrorism”.

If anything, this song could be said to be critiquing the media’s rabid desire to push a certain narrative, at the expense of any and all truth.

Large media groups and conglomerates that dominate the mainstream outlets that have deep rooted political biases based on whichever contingents are funding them never care what the truth is on any subject, as long as the angle and the spin supports the desired chosen narrative of the moment, for any given contingent. Sound familiar yet? Have any of you seen this happen anywhere else? Or to anyone else? Is there anybody here who is even capable of one single, independent, coherent string of interconnected thoughts?

Regardless of how you think the fire at Notre Dame started, I don’t see any words in these lyrics that state what a lot of you are saying the lyrics state. As the media has done on many prior occasions and as many of you have done and continue to do, you really do cherry pick his statements as well as his lyrics that some of you personally want to weaponize. It’s gross, and yes I do think Morrissey is super brave for having to deal with the inanity of the many accusations that get endlessly lobbed his way.

Lastly - on the subject of the other main debate that a lot of you are having, which is “quality” of the lyrics themselves: not all songs are built the same, and not all songs need to be the same. Not all songs will be overflowing with creative puns, double entendres, acrobatic semantics and lyrical soliloquies, and nor do they need to be.

This is a somber song, about a shocking and deeply sombre, horrific event of mammoth historical and cultural depth of significance. I think the mood imbued by the rather austere and forceful lyrics and by the beautiful music in both instances mirrors the disturbingly dark element that was the prevailing common thread and collective mood as many people watched this awe-rending destruction and associated images unfold.

Not every single song from Morrissey’s astounding back catalogue has the same meaning or personal significance to me. This is called being a human being. The question is, if this is a song that some of you like less, or dislike, why can’t those of you be accepting of the fact that that’s fine?

Morrissey has nothing to prove to anyone. If you’re one of the people who thinks that the lyrics in this song don’t speak you, who cares.

As someone else said somewhere here recently, “why should i go see Morrissey if i can go see X band for the third time in a month and know for sure I’ll come out of it in a good mood?”” I’m paraphrasing, because I was only skimming when i saw it and wasn’t really paying attention.

But actually, that’s exactly what a lot of you should be doing. And you’ll be happier for it.

I like this song and my sincere opinion is that a lot of the people on this site are genuinely low IQ. That has nothing to do with anything anyone thinks of this particular song. That has do with the embarrassingly poor showing of intelligent thought, interaction, contribution, and discourse. It’s really stupid, all of the time. But yeah, I do think it’s funny if a bunch of you are going to run out to buy tickets to the concerts. And it will be even funnier if those that don’t, just continue to come here to complain how much they don’t like everything that they don’t like. What a life to lead. Lol!
great post

Back
Top Bottom