Birmingham 23/10/09

Re: Birmingham Setlist?

Hmm this faltering voice sounds a bit worrying.

If you're gonna cancel; just cancel....

None of the rubbish we had to go through in May please.

Oh NO!! :pray: I had the gig canceled and now I'm going to the RAH ...

a faltering voice at this early stage sounds incredibly worrying.

Some interesting Smiths song choices but How Soon Is Now, FOTGTD, The Loop, WDYFOFYand Bores yet again.................WHY?

There is so much better than this. Does Morrissey think that each concert is made up of 95% newbies instead of the 75% been there before brigade!

I'm telling you guys....it's because Jesse only knows how to play a handful of songs. Seriously.

Just back. Simply dreadful. I have followed the Smiths/ Morrissey since the start, for the best part of 30 years, and tonight’s performance was not only the worst show I have seen him perform, it was also one of the most disappointing by a “name” artist I have seen too.

With a brilliant seat, on the front row of the terrace, closest to the stage, barely ten feet away, in one of the best concert auditoriums anywhere in the world my expectations were high. But from the start things were not right. The acoustics are so good in this 3,500 seater that you can literally hear a pin drop. But the opening ,“This Charming Man” was wrecked with a leaden arrangement. The beauty of those chiming guitar phrases was eschewed in favour of lumpy power chords, the fey words and phrasing lost in the maelstrom.

The set, as played earlier in the year, had been reworked, and not for the better. A slew of less familiar songs replaced favourites, which is fine if the quality is there, but it wasn’t. Morrissey did not look as though he had his heart in it, and his singing worsened noticeably as the set wore on, by the end it looked as though he could not wait to get off. Physically he looked unfit, out of shape and lacking in energy.

Enigmatically he told us that they “nearly didn’t make it tonight”, but did not explain why. Then as the set drew to a close he quipped that “the morphine was kicking in”. If he is still not fit, he should not be playing these rearranged dates. He looked like a man out of love with his music, and his fans. Not only was the set missing many favourites, what was played was uneven and staccato in pace.

Long sections were, quite frankly, boring, crying out for the likes of,“ Panic”, “You Have Killed Me”, “Bigmouth”, “Irish Blood / English Heart”, none of which were played. “Let Me Kiss You” and “Seasick, Yet Still Docked” were omitted again pointing to problems with Morrissey’s voice. Highlights? “ I’m Wrapping My Arms Around Paris” and the closing ,“Life Is a Pigsty”, and that was pretty much it. A perfunctory “First of the Gang to Die” as the sole encore wrapped up a set of around 80 minutes, which grossed him about £1250 a minute. Are these rearranged shows simply about money? The short running time certainly does scant justice to his back catalogue.

The uneasy silence, rather than ecstatic applause, which greeted the sudden end to the main set which had no sense of build up or drama told it’s own story. One of the things which has sustained Morrissey’s career has been his sense of the contrary, his single-mindedness, and bloody-mindedness, which is fine when you are right. But tonight he got it horribly wrong.

Oh dear...........

I like the set list, - teenage dad is fantastic and cemetry gates, nowhere fast and ganglord are just great - and you know what? right now I don't care what he plays I just want to see him at RAH

Just back. Simply dreadful. I have followed the Smiths/ Morrissey since the start, for the best part of 30 years, and tonight’s performance was not only the worst show I have seen him perform, it was also one of the most disappointing by a “name” artist I have seen too.

With a brilliant seat, on the front row of the terrace, closest to the stage, barely ten feet away, in one of the best concert auditoriums anywhere in the world my expectations were high. But from the start things were not right. The acoustics are so good in this 3,500 seater that you can literally hear a pin drop. But the opening ,“This Charming Man” was wrecked with a leaden arrangement. The beauty of those chiming guitar phrases was eschewed in favour of lumpy power chords, the fey words and phrasing lost in the maelstrom.

The set, as played earlier in the year, had been reworked, and not for the better. A slew of less familiar songs replaced favourites, which is fine if the quality is there, but it wasn’t. Morrissey did not look as though he had his heart in it, and his singing worsened noticeably as the set wore on, by the end it looked as though he could not wait to get off. Physically he looked unfit, out of shape and lacking in energy.

Enigmatically he told us that they “nearly didn’t make it tonight”, but did not explain why. Then as the set drew to a close he quipped that “the morphine was kicking in”. If he is still not fit, he should not be playing these rearranged dates. He looked like a man out of love with his music, and his fans. Not only was the set missing many favourites, what was played was uneven and staccato in pace.

Long sections were, quite frankly, boring, crying out for the likes of,“ Panic”, “You Have Killed Me”, “Bigmouth”, “Irish Blood / English Heart”, none of which were played. “Let Me Kiss You” and “Seasick, Yet Still Docked” were omitted again pointing to problems with Morrissey’s voice. Highlights? “ I’m Wrapping My Arms Around Paris” and the closing ,“Life Is a Pigsty”, and that was pretty much it. A perfunctory “First of the Gang to Die” as the sole encore wrapped up a set of around 80 minutes, which grossed him about £1250 a minute. Are these rearranged shows simply about money? The short running time certainly does scant justice to his back catalogue.

The uneasy silence, rather than ecstatic applause, which greeted the sudden end to the main set which had no sense of build up or drama told it’s own story. One of the things which has sustained Morrissey’s career has been his sense of the contrary, his single-mindedness, and bloody-mindedness, which is fine when you are right. But tonight he got it horribly wrong.

Wow...that's truly a sad story.

I've just got home, & disagree with the opinion that this was a poor performance. I was surprised when his voice suddenly packed up during Pigsty. I thought he sounded good up until then.

After a number of failed attempts to resume singing Pigsty he left the stage with the band still playing. I noticed his roadie who was over at Bos' side of the stage run across the back to see what was happening. He came back on waving his arms & gesturing to the band, so I figured then that things had taken a turn for the worse.

After that, the band left the stage & came back with Moz for a 1-song encore (FOTGTD), before which he said "The morphine is kicking in! There is just time for me to thank you, and to say for God's sake hold on to your friends!". He actually seemed to sing it fine, but 1 hour & 20 minutes is a short gig. It seems he cut the show short, which doesn't bode well.

Moz is so bloody sickly, perhaps we should kidnap him & force a couple of fillet steaks down his throat! (joke!!!!)

I was up on the 5th floor opposite the stage & have taken quite a bit of video of tonight, so I'll post links in the download forum tomorrow.

Nighty-night!!!

Re: B'Ham Setlist??

Charming man
black cloud
ganglord
how soon is now?
ok by myself
poor education,
death at ones elbow
teenage dad,
paris
loop
nowhere fast
spoke to Carol
cemetry gates
goodbye will be farewell
find out for yourself
is it really so strange
crashin bores
pigsty
first of the gang

oh god, nowhere fast!! one of my favourite smiths songs ever - then cemetry gates and ganglord..:thumb::D i just hope he leaves them on the setlist for berlin :pray:
and hope he get's well soon, the review above sounds worrying :eek:

does everyone love teenage dad??!!!
The lyrics are awful...
I want to see him do birthday! Nowhere fast would have been good. Not too bothered otherwise (but I'm not there!)

Yeah, I wanna see birthday too. I was really hoping he'd play it the night after his birthday gig.

Right, just got back and the setlist was brilliant, maybe not for a casual morrissey fan buy for die hards it was top. Moz was in great voice up untill pigstye, but he seemed to get it back for the encore. During FOTG I ran to the front of the stage and barge past security to get another handshake. Thing is though I would rather him cut this short by a song or two if it means that the rest of the dates aren't affected, although Swindon doesn't look good for tomorrow in my opinion.

Great setlist. Hope he's alright for tomorrow. I think he'll at least make a go of it, already cancelled a ridiculous amount of shows this year.

I was really happy with the set-list myself, although there are still large gaps in his solo work not making an appearance.

I noticed his voice wavering a bit in the first few songs, something's definitely wrong there. I think a combination of his faltering voice and a lack of any great energy from the crowd made him look quite subdued. To be fair, there's only so much the crowd can do in a venue like that

Back
Top Bottom