Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I do not recognize your paradigm

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oh my god. it's Robby!

spontaneously luminescent
paul_young_470_313x470.jpg

Sorry, our Moz does not really qualify for this category, not for a lack of trying or a love for genre, which is OK by me, for even though I may not hear it in his vocals, I hear it in his lyrics which are 2nd to no one in the English language!
having said that, here's some "White soul" I either like or love
guess I'll bold boldface my loves, since I cannot link to "youtube" since the bands are in no order really...

Adele - she grew on me slowly, but her incredible soul sing vocals won me over, how could they not to anyone who loves passionate singing? I don't know
The Animals - omg, got me into the genre as an adult, thanks to last fm, links to songs on "last fm" if you like this one took me to other gr8 "blue eyed soul songs"
Bee Gees - not just a "Disco band" if you think so, your loss,but yeah, it turns out harmonizing white boys might know a thing or two about rythm and melody, they are eternal, and the fact that such is ubiquitous is true is not their fault
David Bowie - yes, he has many soul songs, not gonna explain, love Bowie, either you just get he has mastered this genre as others he ever sighted on, or you don't
Culture Club - seriously, they qualify, just listen to a couple of their albums
Sheena Easton - kind of, British soul for me incarnate for me, I love her so
The Human League - love these boys, any style they can do it
Annie Lennox - the alternative Scottish goddess of soul of the late 80s, adore her too
Level 42 - a handful of their songs are the perfect intersection between: soul/pop/new wave
I will admire them for this, many of their songs are misses, but a few are romanitc perfection
Lulu - the original Scottish goddess of "Northern(very) Soul" how could I not love her?
my mother player her music when I was a child
John Lennon/the Beatles, cmon, if you cannot hear it in manyof their tracks you must be deaf or have 0 heart
The Rolling Stones - really, 90 % of their songs which I like qualify for this category
George Michael/Wham! - the captain of the "Gay Anglo Soul" ship, no one did it better, for a time
Alison Moyet - a voice made for soul, Adele has nothing on her
Robert Palmer - black man in white body, nuff said
Dusty Springfield - often people assume she is a black singer, what greater compliment can I give her?
Paul Weller/The Style Council - political white soul maybe at its best
getting more recent:
Paloma Faith, Florence Welch, Kimbra - for me, white soul incarnate, incredible voices, beauty, range, I look to the 3 "soul sisters" for the future
getting tired now, so, here's a few more:
Amy Winehouse, Teena Marie, Hall & Oates

Last edited:

Sorry, our Moz does not really qualify for this category, not for a lack of trying or a love for genre, which is OK by me, for even though I may not hear it in his vocals, I hear it in his lyrics which are 2nd to no one in the English language!
guess I'll bold boldface my loves, since I cannot link to "youtube" since the bands are in no order really...

Adele - she grew on me slowly, but her incredible soul sing vocals won me over, how could they not to anyone who loves passionate singing? I don't know
The Animals - omg, got me into the genre as an adult, thanks to last fm, links to songs on "last fm" if you like this one took me to other gr8 "blue eyed soul songs"
Bee Gees - not just a "Disco band" if you think so, your loss,but yeah, it turns out harmonizing white boys might know a thing or two about rythm and melody, they are eternal, and the fact that such is ubiquitous is true is not their fault
David Bowie - yes, he has many soul songs, not gonna explain, love Bowie, either you just get he has mastered this genre as others he ever sighted on, or you don't
Annie Lennox - the alternative Scottish goddess of soul of the late 80s, adore her too
Level 42 - a handful of their songs are the perfect intersection between: soul/pop/new wave
I will admire them for this, many of their songs are misses, but a few are romanitc perfection
Lulu - the original Scottish goddess of "Northern(very) Soul" how could I not love her?
John Lennon/the Beatles, cmon, if you cannot hear it in manyof their tracks you must be deaf or have 0 heart
The Rolling Stones - really, 90 % of their songs which I like qualify for this category
George Michael/Wham! - the captain of the "Gay Anglo Soul" ship, no one did it better, for a time
Dusty Springfield - often people assume she is a black singer, what greater compliment can I give her?
getting more recent:
Paloma Faith, Florence Welch, Kimbra - for me, white soul incarnate, incredible voices, beauty, range, I look to the 3 "soul sisters" for the future

Great idea for a thread, Robby!:thumb: I really liked a lot of your choices for your favorite "white soul" performers. I too really like Adele, The Animals, the Bee Gees, David Bowie (just started recently getting into his music), Annie Lennox & The Eurythmics, John Lennon & The Beatles, The Rolling Stones:thumb:, Dusty Springfield, and Hall & Oates. Darryl Hall, of Hall & Oates, has a fantastic "white soul" voice! I'm unfamiliar with a few of your choices and will check out their music. I'm referring to Paloma Faith, Florence Welch, Kimbra, Lulu, Alison Moyet, and Paul Weller & his Style Council. I've heard of most of these artists, but I'm not familiar with their music.

A few other artists I really like in the "white soul" genre are Donald Fagen, Michael Bolton (yes it's true, I think his power ballads are aces), and Elton John (he has many terrific "white soul" classics). Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers also have contributed several "white soul" classics. Donald Fagen is the vocalist and piano/keyboard player for Steely Dan. He also, along with Walter Becker, created all of the music & lyrics for the band. Michael McDonald was the guiding force for creating the Doobies "white soul" classics. An example of this is the outstanding song, "Takin' It to the Streets." Of course the Doobies have had several African American members of the band over the years too, including their wonderful bassist Tiran Porter. In regards, to Michael McDonald's solo work, I just never cared for it. However, I liked his work with The Doobies.

I'll try and post a few nice "white soul" songs soon. Songs that I feel fall in that genre.

Also, I agree with you Robby, that Morrissey is the greatest lyricist in "the English language." There are a few lyricists who I believe are almost as good, but he's definitely number one!

"Murder My Heart" by Michael Bolton

-Lady Gaga provides background vocals. She co-wrote the song with Michael Bolton and two other contributors. Beautiful song.

Michael Bolton.jpg

"Said I Loved You....But I Lied" by Michael Bolton

-Michael Bolton was in the zone for this "blue-eyed soul" classic, baby.

Last edited by a moderator:
"What I Do" by Donald Fagen

-In the liner notes, of his 2006 album "Morph the Cat," Fagen details what this song is about. He writes that it's, "A conversation between some younger version of myself & the ghost of Ray Charles."

young Donald Fagen.jpg Mr. Charles.jpg

young Donald Fagen & Ray Charles

"Monkey in Your Soul" by Steely Dan

"Won't you turn that bebop down? I can't hear my heart beat."

"Tell Me When the Whistle Blows" by Elton John

"Long lost, and lonely boy

you're just a black sheep going home"

-The volume is low on this next track. Tremendous song. One of Elton's beautiful epics.

"It Ain't Gonna Be Easy" by Elton John

-this cut is from the 1978 album "A Single Man."

Elton, 1978..png

"Set Fire to the Rain" by Adele

-stunningly beautiful.

"Spooky" by Dusty Springfield

I was very drunk when I posted this thread :squiffy::eek: glad you like it though :)

ps: Dusty Springfield, how could I forget about her? she's one of my faves

I was very drunk when I posted this thread :squiffy::eek: glad you like it though :)

ps: Dusty Springfield, how could I forget about her? she's one of my faves

Lol, I can't offer the "I was drunk excuse," when I posted the Michael Bolton songs, because I was stone cold sober. I don't regret posting his songs because I like both of them.

Actually, you did have Dusty on your list. She was great!

getting more recent:
The guy in the picture, Paul Young, lives up the road from me. He's forever cruising around in a huge
old Mustang.
By the look of his complexion, he's hit the sauce a little since his pop heyday.

Back
Top Bottom