Morrissey Central "Bonfire of teenagers" (February 7, 2024)

Bonfire of teenagers

d3fa529138538c23d753d6aa2c653d890ee74f31.jpg

SER IG story:
sam_esty_rayner_photography-20240207-0001.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps. But Morrissey has had a persecution complex since the beginning, so it really isn't anything new. The most undignified aspect of Morrissey at this point is his website.
That’s very true. And yes, the website and its content is a disaster.

Who was it that said they wouldn’t be surprised if Moz ends up having to tour with Robbie Williams to get big uk audiences and a record deal again ? Im starting to think that is the case
In the past he wouldn’t be seen dead with Robbie or Miley. He knew they were pop garbage but after seeing the emails to capital and his desperate attempt to gaslight the suit , simply so he could ride MCs coat tails . I bet he doesn’t like her even
It was just to say “ look at me with a big American star “ . Basically an extension of California Son,. So even though he isn’t keen on Robbie , his desperation might mean he would take the cash and the hope of a bigger audience. I wouldn’t be surprised anymore . Especially as Robbie’s Netflix thing has given him some clout and even though Robbie has a much bigger audience than him and is liked , would still be in awe of Moz as he is a fan. to the point of having plastic surgery to try to look like him. Moz and him do kinda look a little like each other these days. in terms of ,build , coloring and certain fashion choices. In spite of all Robbie’s surgery , they still don’t like each other in face of course , they have very different faces . Robbie has Freddy Stars face . lol .
The fact that Robbie is a fan of his and is in awe means Moz would have power over him and could lord it .and we all know moz loves to lord it and feel above folk .

Sad thing is it wasn’t Billy Bragg and the. For Britain thing that lost all the fans. he has lost . It was all these little games and lies and stupid posts on Central ( even if not by him the website is his official one , so in his name ) and utter contempt for his fans..
He has ended up looking like a bitter , childish, empty old man to most people
Where as once he was considered up there with Bowie and Dylan , now people think Liam and Robbie have more about them than him, It’s a shocking turn of events .
The real shame is he still has a great voice he still has it in him to make a brilliant song and do a good show . But it’s like he can’t reach the man he used to be . He trusted all the wrong people. Imagine what could have been if he would have done the tour and a record with Johnny in 2009 . He would have put out great Top tunes, his audience that were falling off again after ROT would have got bigger . shows would have been mega , Johnny would have kept him right. Instead he went on tour with Jesse who uses him and had KY who hated him and told loads of fans this in private messages. Then along came SER to help demolish his visual style and image. No wonder his mental health got bad around 2010 and 2015
The cherry on the cake is Dodders, a hired gun PR writer who has no real understanding and keeps rewriting the same kind of article This reflects badly on Moz

I really hope he takes sone time out and gets it together
I think you're right that the FB stuff hasn't been the crucial factor. The cancelling of shows at the last minute, the walking off stage, the absence of any obvious management or clear direction on Central, and the absence of any new releases due to the ongoing saga over Bonfire - these things have probably been just as, if not more, detrimental to his career. How Central has been used over the past few years could be used as a teaching exercise for PR students on how not to use a media platform.

To hell with this talk of the Stones. I've never understood the "look at these guys, they're old but they have so much energy and still have the moves!" assessment of dotard rockers. I've loathed the Stones since the mid-80s as an embarrassment to their former glory, and I think Get Off the Stage is a terrific song.

I've also never cared for musicians who "get into it" with hand-clapping and dancing to please the crowd. Morrissey said of Lou Reed that he was "unimpressed with applause." That's much more dignified. Liam Gallagher was like that in the beginning. I knew Oasis was starting to lose it when Liam Gallagher would come out from behind the microphone to wave and whoop up the crowd and point at the cute girls. Cheesy. But when I saw them in 1994 he was frigid, stoic, and regal. I think contempt for one's fans is somehow attractive, so Morrissey's cancellations don't bother me. There's a hierarchy.

There's absolutely no hierarchy to me.
I like all alternative genres, from classical rock'n'roll to garage punk, indie, new wave and so on.

I love the Stones. I always have, and I find their commitment over the years very admirable.
I also love Zappa, and so do I love Lou, although Lou never liked Zappa.
On my list, there's also jazz, funk and pop... one liking doesn't necessarily go against another.

Where does this terrible idea of "dignity" come from ? How awfully snobbish and uninteresting.

Where does this terrible idea of "dignity" come from ? How awfully snobbish and uninteresting.

Someone who makes great art is obviously superior to the person in the crowd shaking their rump and going "woo-hoo!" There's nothing snobbish about it. It's quite meritocratic. It's not based on high birth but on artistic value.

I recently read Lou Reed’s biography and was struck by how much his late career mirrors that of Morrissey. He was also always fighting with record company’s and always felt his later records were underappreciated and badly promoted.

I actually witnessed him play at Hop Farm festival very late in his career when Morrissey was headlining. He was uncompromising and played songs no one knew. Great artist.

Someone who makes great art is obviously superior to the person in the crowd shaking their rump and going "woo-hoo!" There's nothing snobbish about it. It's quite meritocratic. It's not based on high birth but on artistic value.

Well, to hell with your "artistic value" then. You're not an intellectual because you prefer listening to Morrissey.

Well, to hell with your "artistic value" then. You're not an intellectual because you prefer listening to Morrissey.

When did I say listening to Morrissey made me an intellectual? All I'm saying is that a person who makes great art is superior to a person who can't. On this forum we have people whining about Morrissey's cancellations, demanding "sing for me, singer! I paid you! Sing!" If you invert the formula like that, then art is reduced to a mere commodity, and you would never get the Smiths and Morrissey in the first place. Fortunately not everyone is in it for the money.

When did I say listening to Morrissey made me an intellectual? All I'm saying is that a person who makes great art is superior to a person who can't. On this forum we have people whining about Morrissey's cancellations, demanding "sing for me, singer! I paid you! Sing!" If you invert the formula like that, then art is reduced to a mere commodity, and you would never get the Smiths and Morrissey in the first place. Fortunately not everyone is in it for the money.

No, it's your idea of artistic "dignity" in artists that feel "contempt for one's fans" compared to others that I find to be complete masochistic and pseudo-intellectual nonsense.
Art isn't moral and "regal" as you said, and artists don't have to correspond to your personal snob criteria.

And that wasn't even the point I was trying to make in the first place : I just said that no artist cancels their shows with no justification, like Moz does.

Why even organize tours when you know you won't show up for 2/3 of it, and blame it on some bollocks excuse?
And Morrissey has been "in it for the money" too, quite obviously – so what?

No, it's your idea of artistic "dignity" in artists that feel "contempt for one's fans" compared to others that I find to be complete masochistic and pseudo-intellectual nonsense.

How can it be masochistic if it doesn't hurt me?

Art isn't moral and "regal" as you said, and artists don't have to correspond to your personal snob criteria.

Of course they don't. The artist can do whatever he or she wants. If Mick Jagger wants to get onstage at age 80 and wiggle his ass while the fans coo, "O Jagger baby for a wrinkled old corpse you still got the moves and we love it!" then that's fine. That's a perfectly symbiotic relationship between the artist and the audience. I'm just more impressed by a contrarian or troublesome artist who might not always be feeling it and doesn't care if he cancels and goes out for drinks instead. This is all subjective. Go see the Stones or take your chances with Morrissey, I don't care what other people do. For me, though, the elderly Stones suck.

Bonehead of Oasis had someone come up to him after a show and complain, "all you did was stand in the same spot and play four chords all night." And Bonehead said, "yeah, and you paid forty quid to watch me didn't you?" Some might call that contempt, and others might call it the artist having his own style in spite of what normal expectations are. I thought Oasis were a great show just standing there in the same spot all night. We all have our own ideas of greatness.

We all have our own ideas of greatness.

Yeah OK, then don't make it sound like a universal rule on a pyramid of superiority.
I don't care for your ideas of what's dignified and what isn't.

All musicians are just as old and as financially opportunistic at the end of their careers. It's only normal.
I find it more dignified that the Stones do actually show up after so long.
You just prefer a genre to another.

Yeah OK, then don't make it sound like a universal rule on a pyramid of superiority.

Okay. I should've been more specific: it's my own personal rule, not a universal rule. I just find it odd that people think an artist owes them a show simply because they paid for it. As long as their money is refunded, the debt is cleared. That should be universal. Anything else is just their personal, emotional disappointment. My emotions toward Morrissey are very positive because of the art he's created for forty years. Whether he shows up to sing for me or not, doesn't change anything.

Yes, I do prefer a genre over another. I can't help what I like. Nobility, hauteur, comportment, and style are always going to be in the eye of the beholder.

Anything else is just their personal, emotional disappointment.

Yes, and it's just this disappointment that I was talking about. Morrissey's attitude is hypocritical, it is what it is.
It's only fair that an artist shows up for their concerts, or justifies when they cannot.

Nobility, hauteur, comportment, and style are always going to be in the eye of the beholder.

That's good, because I have no concept of nobility, comportment or hauteur.
To each their own.

Okay. I should've been more specific: it's my own personal rule, not a universal rule. I just find it odd that people think an artist owes them a show simply because they paid for it. As long as their money is refunded, the debt is cleared. That should be universal. Anything else is just their personal, emotional disappointment. My emotions toward Morrissey are very positive because of the art he's created for forty years. Whether he shows up to sing for me or not, doesn't change anything.

Yes, I do prefer a genre over another. I can't help what I like. Nobility, hauteur, comportment, and style are always going to be in the eye of the beholder.

Only the cost of the ticket is refunded, hotels, travel costs aren't.

My emotions toward Morrissey are very positive because of the art he's created for forty years. Whether he shows up to sing for me or not, doesn't change anything.
I agree with that. I will always love the guy for what he's given the world creatively. And I know this is maybe less important - I will also always love the guy because of his total f***ing courage. It takes guts to speak the truth when you know there will be negative consequences for you and your career. That is the essence of courage. Legend legend legend.

I agree with that. I will always love the guy for what he's given the world creatively. And I know this is maybe less important - I will also always love the guy because of his total f***ing courage. It takes guts to speak the truth when you know there will be negative consequences for you and your career. That is the essence of courage. Legend legend legend.
I love him for his flared jeans.

Truths like this?

Italian police are pushing back on allegations made by Morrissey that he was “terrorized” by an officer in Rome earlier this week. Through his nephew, the former Smiths singer accused an unnamed officer of demanding “papers.” When he refused to produce them, the officer began yelling and unlocked his gun, according to Morrissey. As a result of the incident, the singer announced the cancelation of a planned Italian tour. “Obviously, with psychopaths like this on the loose, it is not safe for me to be in Italy,” he explained.

Truths like this?

Italian police are pushing back on allegations made by Morrissey that he was “terrorized” by an officer in Rome earlier this week. Through his nephew, the former Smiths singer accused an unnamed officer of demanding “papers.” When he refused to produce them, the officer began yelling and unlocked his gun, according to Morrissey. As a result of the incident, the singer announced the cancelation of a planned Italian tour. “Obviously, with psychopaths like this on the loose, it is not safe for me to be in Italy,” he explained.
What about the “rear cleavage” incident? That was a good one.

What about the “rear cleavage” incident? That was a good one.

Ah yes -
Morrissey claimed that a security officer “crouched before me and groped my penis and testicles”, later stating in an interview with Larry King that the individual “put his finger down my rear cleavage”.

The singer added: “Why would he want to [do that]? Why would he need to? Everything was fine but then he went straight for my private bits and then he put his finger down my rear cleavage.”

“TSA takes all allegations of misconduct seriously and strives to treat every passenger with dignity and respect. Upon review of closed circuit TV footage, TSA determined that the supervised officer followed standard operating procedures in the screening of this individual.”

He gets his facts wrong all the time & I don't think he did know he was going to face that level of backlash.

I think you should post under your own name & take the consequences.

Ah yes -
Morrissey claimed that a security officer “crouched before me and groped my penis and testicles”, later stating in an interview with Larry King that the individual “put his finger down my rear cleavage”.

The singer added: “Why would he want to [do that]? Why would he need to? Everything was fine but then he went straight for my private bits and then he put his finger down my rear cleavage.”

“TSA takes all allegations of misconduct seriously and strives to treat every passenger with dignity and respect. Upon review of closed circuit TV footage, TSA determined that the supervised officer followed standard operating procedures in the screening of this individual.”
To be fair it may be standard operating procedures to stick their fingers wherever they feel is necessary, they have a famous reputation for being sad ugly people that abuse what little power they have in their lives.
I was once yelled at by a midget TSA facist in LA for failing to declare that I had a tissue in my pocket.

IMG_5471.jpeg

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom