Morrissey Central "CANCEL CULTURE BEGINS AT HOME" (January 11, 2024)

full

"There is also an obvious media shift to delete me from being the central essence of The Smiths, but this cannot work because I invented the group name, the song-titles, the album titles, the artwork, the vocal melodies, and all of the lyrical sentiments came from my heart … and so it's a bit like saying Mick Jagger had nothing to do with the Stones. Several news sites now claim that the initial meeting at Rough Trade Records was with "Johnny Marr and Andy Rourke," even though Andy wasn't even a committed band member at that point. The meeting, of course, was Morrissey and Marr. Even Geoff Travis has now suddenly decided that he "can't remember who was with Johnny," even though Geoff looked me squarely in the eye on that very day and said "we'd like to release Hand In Glove immediately," and he then more importantly said to me that his name was Geoff with a G, not Jeff with a J. The hounds are snapping!

Hand in glove, I stake my claim! I'll fight to the last breath! "

-Morrissey, in conversation, 2023.

full

Morrissey in Tokyo, 2023, by Ryan Lowry.

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ashley_TakeABow asks like an innocent young fan after discovering planet Morrissey. I like the idea it's Morrissey himself as the Trojan Horse.

Ashley_TakeABow asks like an innocent young fan after discovering planet Morrissey. I like the idea it's Morrissey himself as the Trojan Horse.
We certainly needed someone like @Ashley_TakeABow here. Bitter old me loves her fresh, still-not-jaded, authentic take on things. Just what this site needs!

Though, there may have been some Trojan’s that contained Morrissey. Just saying.

There was a guy who pretended to be Stanley Kubrick in the 90s - & people fell for it. Even people who had met Kubrick.

I think there's been a LITTLE bit of that going on.

The press thing could be a number of things, but if I was a betting type, I'd cite the recent Uncut comment as a potential catalyst.
Marr includes 5 Smiths' songs given an 'orchestral' treatment live in MCR and gets a glowing review.

Uncut chimes in with:
"Morrissey's later-life trajectory has unquestionably impacted some people's relationships to the band, leaving Marr as the benevolent custodian of their songs."

To then add a tag line quote re: Marr review:
"an artist who still represents something pure and beautiful."

Just my take, but I'd suggest that may have lit the blue touch paper.
FWD.

(Uncut review advert was shared by Marr on the 9th and shared here in full on the 9th, his Central post was the 11th).
What personage of such culture-defining judgement has taken a big gulp of the kool aid and come up with this twee compliant review? Have they published on Morrissey matters before?

Louder noticed too - https://www.loudersound.com/news/mo...ring-to-erase-his-contributions-to-the-smiths

Having for a while checked every few days the first few pages of a Google search, I see a restoration of a dedicated news and video banner for the search subject i.e. Morrissey, that was previously missing. Algorithm automatically runs, algorithm is selectively paused, a grievance is notified and registered, algorithm runs again? Hmmm...

Last edited:
I shall find it a pain if I have to keep up with news of Marr in order to understand what Morrissey might be complaining about.

I shall find it a pain if I have to keep up with news of Marr in order to understand what Morrissey might be complaining about.

But isn’t it poignant that Morrissey reads Johnny’s reviews…still? He should write a song about it.

Back
Top Bottom