Morrissey Central "DAVID JOHANSEN CELEBRATION" (March 17, 2023)

tumblr_m1r20kOZ5A1qap55ao1_500.jpg

Image from Morrissey's award presentation at Nordoff-Robbins O2 Silver Clef Awards, 2004.
FWD.

Moz used David's love of Maria Callas to get him
to reform the Dolls.

Morrissey convinced Johansen to reunite the New York Dolls by invoking the name of opera singer Maria Callas.
In between songs at his Café Carlyle performance, Johansen asks the crowd, “Have you heard of a fellow named Morrissey? If you haven’t, I’ll clue you in: He was the teenage president of the New York Dolls fan club in England. He’s kind of a Gloomy Gertie but he loved him some Dolls.”

He then went on to explain how this particular Gloomy Gertie grew up to convince Johansen to reunite the surviving New York Dolls, guitarist Sylvain Sylvain and bassist Arthur Kane, in 2004. “He called me, and he said, ‘I understand you’re a pretty big Maria Callas fan.’” Johansen says. “And I said, ‘Yes, I happen to be known for that in certain circles.’ He said, ‘Well, you know that film she made where she did a fantastic concert at the Royal Festival Hall?’ I said, ‘Yes, by heart.’ He said, ‘How would you like to play the Royal Festival Hall?… All you have to do is get the Dolls back together.’ And I thought, ‘Royal Festival Hall, Maria Callas…’ I combed every opium den in Chinatown, and I pulled that band together. We were fantastic.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-mov...sis-new-york-dolls-11-big-reveals-1234711571/

Moz used David's love of Maria Callas to get him
to reform the Dolls.

Morrissey convinced Johansen to reunite the New York Dolls by invoking the name of opera singer Maria Callas.
In between songs at his Café Carlyle performance, Johansen asks the crowd, “Have you heard of a fellow named Morrissey? If you haven’t, I’ll clue you in: He was the teenage president of the New York Dolls fan club in England. He’s kind of a Gloomy Gertie but he loved him some Dolls.”

He then went on to explain how this particular Gloomy Gertie grew up to convince Johansen to reunite the surviving New York Dolls, guitarist Sylvain Sylvain and bassist Arthur Kane, in 2004. “He called me, and he said, ‘I understand you’re a pretty big Maria Callas fan.’” Johansen says. “And I said, ‘Yes, I happen to be known for that in certain circles.’ He said, ‘Well, you know that film she made where she did a fantastic concert at the Royal Festival Hall?’ I said, ‘Yes, by heart.’ He said, ‘How would you like to play the Royal Festival Hall?… All you have to do is get the Dolls back together.’ And I thought, ‘Royal Festival Hall, Maria Callas…’ I combed every opium den in Chinatown, and I pulled that band together. We were fantastic.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-mov...sis-new-york-dolls-11-big-reveals-1234711571/
🖤

Did anyone see this Doc?
Guess ya gotta have Showtime to see it.
It was wonderfully done and so enjoyable. You really got an insight into David as a person and how good he is at cabaret. He told some interesting stories and sang with a small backing band. There were a few Morrissey mentions by David himself, M being the UK President of the Dolls fan club which I am not sure is true. Also mentioned that M got the band back together for Meltdown. For anybody in NYC , there’s a free screening at the Roxy Cinema next weekend.

It was wonderfully done and so enjoyable. You really got an insight into David as a person and how good he is at cabaret. He told some interesting stories and sang with a small backing band. There were a few Morrissey mentions by David himself, M being the UK President of the Dolls fan club which I am not sure is true. Also mentioned that M got the band back together for Meltdown. For anybody in NYC , there’s a free screening at the Roxy Cinema next weekend.

Gonna have to figure on a way to see this thing.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom