Der Spiegel audio file of Morrissey interview released

Here you go. The recording of the interview.

Der Audiomitschnitt zum SPIEGEL-Interview mit Morrissey - Spiegel Online
Sänger Morrissey fühlt sich nach einem Interview mit dem SPIEGEL falsch zitiert und will nun nie wieder mit Printmedien sprechen. Hören Sie hier den Mitschnitt des Interviews.

English version:

The Audio of DER SPIEGEL's Interview with Morrissey
British pop singer Morrissey has accused DER SPIEGEL of falsely quoting him in a recently published interview. The magazine stands behind its reporting and has made the decision to post the audio online in response.

On Friday, Nov. 10, DER SPIEGEL culture reporter Juliane Liebert told her editors that she had been offered an interview with British popstar Morrissey and that a decision needed to be made quickly on whether to accept. We agreed: The former lead singer of The Smiths doesn't shy away from speaking his mind - and he also doesn't grant interviews very often.

The following Monday, Liebert flew to Los Angeles, where she was to interview Morrissey on Tuesday. The interview appointment got delayed several times before finally taking place on Wednesday and lasting 40 minutes. Edited versions of interviews published in DER SPIEGEL are usually authorized by the interview subject before publication, consistent with established procedure in German journalism. But in this instance, Morrissey's team elected to forego authorization.

After its publication on Nov. 18 in DER SPIEGEL, the interview (available behind the SPIEGEL Plus paywall in German) generated headlines not only in the German-language media. English publications like the Independent also wrote about Morrissey's statements regarding Trump, Brexit, the #MeToo debate and questions of national identity.

The musician then sought to distance himself from the published interview. "Unless you see the words form in my mouth and then you see or hear the words come out of my mouth... please, if you don't see that, I didn't say them," he told fans at a concert. He said he would never grant an interview to a print journalist again.

On Monday, Morrissey followed up with a post on his official Facebook page casting doubt on whether his statements had been reflected accurately by DER SPIEGEL. He also alleged that the fact that the magazine had not yet posted the raw audio of the interview was tantamount to an indirect admission of guilt.

To counter that claim, the editors of DER SPIEGEL have decided to post the audio of the interview online.

You can listen to the interview conducted with Morrissey in Los Angeles on Nov. 15 here:

Posted by Famous when dead:

Interview mp3 - yours to keep:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/dx1c0j
(the exact file as used on the site).

Media coverage:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
“England is mine and it owes me a living.”
I got the impression it was the UK or Britain that was despised, not so much England? Have I missed your point? :oops:

Look sorry to burst your bubble but this is how a lot of men talk about women, whether it be sports teams, guys at a pub or workmates over a few beers. It's a form of bonding, it's a way to release sexual tension, and often case it's also a form of oneupmanship. Maybe that doesn't sit well in your prudish bubble but talking this sort of 'grab 'em by the pussy' shit is as Trump said common locker room talk. Now does that mean that guys actually do go out grab women by their pussies? I mean are you serious?????? Have you even stopped to consider the optics of how that would look??

Now the question is would I condone that type of behavior if I then saw one of my mates go out and do that? Of course I wouldn't. There is a difference between thoughts/words and actions.

As per my post before I've also been in situations with female friends out on the ran tan and listened to them say things like they are gonna grab that hot guy over at the bar by the balls, he's a prawn, throw away the head and eat the body etc. Did i find this type of talk offensive? No, I take it for what it is, shit talking and nothing more. Amd hardly an admission of sexual assault.
Hi Bhops,
Maybe I am bursting your bubble?
Neither at my work (I am a field engineer so I visit lots of different offices daily), nor any social gatherings would that sort of language be acceptable and I do not hear it.
And I do not agree that there is such a big gap between talk and action.
Maybe I am the exception but that is the case.

i really like the morrissey shirt i got at the msg show, but now, after the events of the past few days, i don't really feel like being mocked in public for wearing it. i guess it's cold enough to just wear a sweater over it. #upstatenewyorklife #stilllovemorrissey #ikeepminehidden

I wish he’d just keep his mouth shut and let his music do the talking.

Worst thing of all is that he is beginning to be viewed by many as a somewhat of a joke. A part of me wishes he’d just buy himself an animal sanctuary and disappear before he does his legacy any more damage...
Maybe a nice cover for the UK dates?

Seriously though. He would kill it.

Last edited:
On the topic of the meat industry…

interviewer: "And what would you do with the animals, would you let them free, would you create places for them?" (when the meat industry disappears)

Uh… not the kind of question you expect from a journalist who works for a supposedly intellectual newspaper.

Isn’t it evident that there wouldn’t be many farm animals when the industry disappears? Not the sharpest pencil in the drawer...

Exhibit A: Germany (taken from the Financial Times)
https://www.ft.com/content/b5a8867e-28ea-11e7-bc4b-5528796fe35c

Germany sees rise in crime committed by asylum seekers
Officials blame cramped conditions, religious tensions and refugee demographics

Germany has seen a big increase in crimes committed by asylum seekers, a development that is likely to be seized on by the populist Alternative for Germany as it campaigns against Angela Merkel’s liberal refugee policy in this year’s Bundestag elections.

Figures released by the interior ministry showed that some 174,000 immigrants from non-EU countries were suspected of carrying out crimes last year, a 52 per cent increase on 2015.

[...]

A wave of sexual attacks in Cologne on New Year’s Eve in 2015, believed to be carried out by men of North African origin, also fuelled fears that the surge in immigration could trigger higher rates of sexual crime.

Thomas de Maizière, German Interior Minister
The crime statistics, released on Monday, showed that immigrants were responsible for 35 per cent of cases of pickpocketing, 11 per cent of home break-ins, and nearly 15 per cent of cases of grievous bodily harm.

“Crimes committed by [asylum-seeking] immigrants saw a disproportionate increase last year — there’s nothing there we can gloss over,” said German Interior Minister Thomas de Maizière. He said when it came to violent crimes there were “about 90 per cent more immigrant suspects in 2016” than in the prior year.

Mr de Maizière cited the cramped conditions of refugee hostels as a contributory factor, as well as “potentially explosive” ethnic and religious tensions between different immigrant groups.

He also noted that many of the refugees were young men aged between 18 and 21 — a group where the crime rate, even among Germans, is four times higher than that of the average population.'

[...]

Of the 2m criminal suspects recorded in Germany in 2016, 616,000 were non-Germans, or about 30 per cent of the total.

Overall, there was a slight dip in the number of crimes recorded in Germany last year, despite the increase in population resulting from the refugee surge.

But there was a 6.7 per cent increase in crimes of violence, a development Mr de Maizière described as a “wake-up call for us all”. Cases of murder and manslaughter increased 14 per cent, of rape and sexual assault by 13 per cent and grievous bodily harm by 10 per cent. However there were fewer crimes such as break-ins, shoplifting and fraud.

Exhibit B: Sweden (taken from The Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ccused-cover-up-sex-attacks-refugees-festival

Sweden’s prime minister has condemned a “double betrayal” of women after allegations that police covered up sexual harassment by recent immigrants at a music festival in Stockholm. Meanwhile, reports have emerged of attacks on women in Malmö on New Year’s Eve.

"Groups of refugees molested concertgoers at We Are Stockholm, Europe’s largest youth festival, in the summer of 2014, according to internal police memos obtained by Dagens Nyheter, a daily newspaper.

“These are so-called refugee youths, specifically from Afghanistan. Several of the gang were arrested for sexual molestation,” one police memo said.

Yet the official police report on the five-day festival attended by 170,000 young people aged mainly 13-19 made no mention of sexual harassment or assaults.

The prime minister, Stefan Löfven, said this amounted to a double betrayal since no one was prosecuted for the crimes and the police did not make them public.

The reports come as police in Cologne, Germany, investigate hundreds of claims of assaults on women on New Year’s Eve. Officials say nearly all of the suspects in the attacks were “people with an immigrant background”. Police and the media have been accused of deliberately under-reporting the events in order not to encourage anti-immigrant sentiment."

[...]

Exhibit C: A specific case from Germany, one of many I could post here. (taken from Metro UK)
https://www.metro.co.uk/2017/09/06/...tisfy-sexual-urges-before-killing-her-6906912

An Afghan asylum seeker raped a German diplomat’s daughter ‘to satisfy his sexual urges’ then left her to die, a court has heard.

Hussein Khavari, from Afghanistan, is accused of ambushing Maria Ladenburger, 19, when she was cycling home from a party along a river in Freiburg, Germany last October.

Prosecutors accuse him of ‘maliciously’ attacking the young medical student before leaving her unconscious body to drown in a river.

He was linked to Maria, when police found a single strand of his hair at the crime scene and other traces of his DNA on a scarf left behind.

Maria, whose father is a senior legal adviser to the European Commission in Brussels, would spend her spare time helping out the city’s migrants in various shelters and homes.

Hussein Khavari, is accused of raping and drowning Maria Ladenburger
Her body was found in the Dreisam River less than one mile from the student accommodation where she lived.

It took seven weeks before Khavari was arrested. The refugee claimed he was 17 at the time of the offence but other reports suggest he could be at least 22. (EDIT: As revealed by his father during the recent court case, Khavari was born in January 1984, making him 33 years old.)

The killing sparked frenzied new waves of hatred and fear of refugees.

Even the leader of the country’s police union blamed Chancellor Angela Merkel’s open door asylum-seeker policy for her death.

The anti-immigrant Alternative for Germany (AfD) party called Maria a ‘victim of Merkel’s welcome culture’.

Maria would spend her free time volunteering at Freiburg’s refugee shelters and homes.

It later emerged that Khavari was previously sentenced to 10 years in prison for attempted murder after he threw a woman off a cliff in Corfu in May 2013.

It is still unclear why Khavari, who arrived in Germany as an unaccompanied minor, was released by Greek authorities after just two years.
Apparently the German authorities knew nothing of his past and so let him into the country as a registered asylum seeker.

The victim, a history student, fell 25ft down the Greek cliff and only survived because she knew how to protect her head from her hobby of mountaineering.

She said she had been walking home when Khavari suddenly appeared in front of her: ‘I gave him my purse. But when the headlights of a car illuminated him he pushed me backwards.’

Speaking to the Greek TV channel Alfa in 2014 she went on: ‘Then he grabbed me at the hips and legs, lifted me up and threw me down the cliff.’

After Bild newspaper showed a recent photograph of him to his lawyer in the Greek trial, Maria-Eleni Nikolopoulou, she told them: ‘This is the same person, definitely. I’m speechless.’

Last edited:
The most shocking part of the interview, which is all there, in his own words, is what he said about the rape capital being a result of open borders. He said you shouldn't believe it unless he himself said it. Well......it's right there.

Have you forgotten about what happened on New Year's Night 2016 in Köln, Skinny?

Ah, turn a blind eye...

I am finding the people who are on this page more and more pathetic. Music has gotten so boring because the artists making it are often boring. I don't always agree with Morrissey, but he makes great records that are subversive, intelligent, and unique. I would bet there are a lot of artists in your collection that you may disagree with something they said. Morrissey has given us so many years of great work, this new album most definitely included. We get the artists we deserve. If we are gonna demand that everyone thinks exactly like we do, the world will become a very dreary place. I don't agree with everything Morrissey says, but who cares? He isn't enacting policy. He isnt voting for anyone or campaigning for anyone. He makes records and the records are f***ing great. The shows are great.

Take Mel Gibson, who actually said things far worse than Morrissey. I can both recognize Apocalypto as a great movie and also recognize the things he said were wrong. It's not that hard. F. Scott Fitzgerald says one who is intelligent should be able to hold two opposing views at the same time.

My beliefs would largely fall on the left. Don't try to peg me as some Trump supporter. I hate that orange clown. But the people carrying on and on about Morrissey and how terrible he is, and that they are done with him over things he said...it just doesn't make sense to me. Are we going to have a purity test for artists? If you you better delete about half the things in your life that you find meaningful.

The intelligence in his lyrics has diminished greatly over the years. "Who Will Protect Us From the Police" and "I Bury the Living" are anything but intelligent. I'm all for critiquing the police and military interventions, but Morrissey does it from such an unintelligent point of view and with a lack of nuance that they just sound like the ramblings of a pseudo-intellectual.

Exhibit A: Germany (taken from the Financial Times)
https://www.ft.com/content/b5a8867e-28ea-11e7-bc4b-5528796fe35c

Germany sees rise in crime committed by asylum seekers
Officials blame cramped conditions, religious tensions and refugee demographics

Germany has seen a big increase in crimes committed by asylum seekers, a development that is likely to be seized on by the populist Alternative for Germany as it campaigns against Angela Merkel’s liberal refugee policy in this year’s Bundestag elections.

Figures released by the interior ministry showed that some 174,000 immigrants from non-EU countries were suspected of carrying out crimes last year, a 52 per cent increase on 2015.

[...]

A wave of sexual attacks in Cologne on New Year’s Eve in 2015, believed to be carried out by men of North African origin, also fuelled fears that the surge in immigration could trigger higher rates of sexual crime.

Thomas de Maizière, German Interior Minister
The crime statistics, released on Monday, showed that immigrants were responsible for 35 per cent of cases of pickpocketing, 11 per cent of home break-ins, and nearly 15 per cent of cases of grievous bodily harm.

“Crimes committed by [asylum-seeking] immigrants saw a disproportionate increase last year — there’s nothing there we can gloss over,” said German Interior Minister Thomas de Maizière. He said when it came to violent crimes there were “about 90 per cent more immigrant suspects in 2016” than in the prior year.

Mr de Maizière cited the cramped conditions of refugee hostels as a contributory factor, as well as “potentially explosive” ethnic and religious tensions between different immigrant groups.

He also noted that many of the refugees were young men aged between 18 and 21 — a group where the crime rate, even among Germans, is four times higher than that of the average population.'

[...]

Of the 2m criminal suspects recorded in Germany in 2016, 616,000 were non-Germans, or about 30 per cent of the total.

Overall, there was a slight dip in the number of crimes recorded in Germany last year, despite the increase in population resulting from the refugee surge.

But there was a 6.7 per cent increase in crimes of violence, a development Mr de Maizière described as a “wake-up call for us all”. Cases of murder and manslaughter increased 14 per cent, of rape and sexual assault by 13 per cent and grievous bodily harm by 10 per cent. However there were fewer crimes such as break-ins, shoplifting and fraud.

Exhibit B: Sweden (taken from The Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ccused-cover-up-sex-attacks-refugees-festival

Sweden’s prime minister has condemned a “double betrayal” of women after allegations that police covered up sexual harassment by recent immigrants at a music festival in Stockholm. Meanwhile, reports have emerged of attacks on women in Malmö on New Year’s Eve.

"Groups of refugees molested concertgoers at We Are Stockholm, Europe’s largest youth festival, in the summer of 2014, according to internal police memos obtained by Dagens Nyheter, a daily newspaper.

“These are so-called refugee youths, specifically from Afghanistan. Several of the gang were arrested for sexual molestation,” one police memo said.

Yet the official police report on the five-day festival attended by 170,000 young people aged mainly 13-19 made no mention of sexual harassment or assaults.

The prime minister, Stefan Löfven, said this amounted to a double betrayal since no one was prosecuted for the crimes and the police did not make them public.

The reports come as police in Cologne, Germany, investigate hundreds of claims of assaults on women on New Year’s Eve. Officials say nearly all of the suspects in the attacks were “people with an immigrant background”. Police and the media have been accused of deliberately under-reporting the events in order not to encourage anti-immigrant sentiment."

[...]

Exhibit C: A specific case from Germany, one of many I could post here. (taken from Metro UK)
https://www.metro.co.uk/2017/09/06/...tisfy-sexual-urges-before-killing-her-6906912

An Afghan asylum seeker raped a German diplomat’s daughter ‘to satisfy his sexual urges’ then left her to die, a court has heard.

Hussein Khavari, from Afghanistan, is accused of ambushing Maria Ladenburger, 19, when she was cycling home from a party along a river in Freiburg, Germany last October.

Prosecutors accuse him of ‘maliciously’ attacking the young medical student before leaving her unconscious body to drown in a river.

He was linked to Maria, when police found a single strand of his hair at the crime scene and other traces of his DNA on a scarf left behind.

Maria, whose father is a senior legal adviser to the European Commission in Brussels, would spend her spare time helping out the city’s migrants in various shelters and homes.

Hussein Khavari, is accused of raping and drowning Maria Ladenburger
Her body was found in the Dreisam River less than one mile from the student accommodation where she lived.

It took seven weeks before Khavari was arrested. The refugee claimed he was 17 at the time of the offence but other reports suggest he could be at least 22. (EDIT: As revealed by his father during the recent court case, Khavari was born in January 1984, making him 33 years old.)

The killing sparked frenzied new waves of hatred and fear of refugees.

Even the leader of the country’s police union blamed Chancellor Angela Merkel’s open door asylum-seeker policy for her death.

The anti-immigrant Alternative for Germany (AfD) party called Maria a ‘victim of Merkel’s welcome culture’.

Maria would spend her free time volunteering at Freiburg’s refugee shelters and homes.

It later emerged that Khavari was previously sentenced to 10 years in prison for attempted murder after he threw a woman off a cliff in Corfu in May 2013.

It is still unclear why Khavari, who arrived in Germany as an unaccompanied minor, was released by Greek authorities after just two years.
Apparently the German authorities knew nothing of his past and so let him into the country as a registered asylum seeker.

The victim, a history student, fell 25ft down the Greek cliff and only survived because she knew how to protect her head from her hobby of mountaineering.

She said she had been walking home when Khavari suddenly appeared in front of her: ‘I gave him my purse. But when the headlights of a car illuminated him he pushed me backwards.’

Speaking to the Greek TV channel Alfa in 2014 she went on: ‘Then he grabbed me at the hips and legs, lifted me up and threw me down the cliff.’

After Bild newspaper showed a recent photograph of him to his lawyer in the Greek trial, Maria-Eleni Nikolopoulou, she told them: ‘This is the same person, definitely. I’m speechless.’

PEOPLE please read good info. Moz was again RIGHT.

i really like the morrissey shirt i got at the msg show, but now, after the events of the past few days, i don't really feel like being mocked in public for wearing it. i guess it's cold enough to just wear a sweater over it. #upstatenewyorklife #stilllovemorrissey #ikeepminehidden

Morrissey should start selling his own replica Scary Clown Masks. That's what he is to the average person now, if they even know about him it's because he's considered unhinged and ridiculous.

Morrissey's touring circus now increasingly resembles American Horror Story with Steven as Elsa Mars...his band dressed in grotesque costumes to placate their increasingly batty proprietor. How sad they don't realise they can never leave this circus now as their freak career as part of Morrissey's backing band condemns them to endless future mockery and ridicule alongside Dear Leader. Unless they have the moral fibre to actually walk in protest at his behaviour...and his devious, truculent and unreliable attempts to mislead the public.

The kind people have a dream:
Morrissey on the guillotine.

May the Grim Reaper speed and leave 'Der Spiegel' tattoo'd across Steven's face, torso, arse'n'all. He is now branded in a way he can never escape from. Karma is a bitch, Steven Patrick Morrissey. Just think of all the other karmic debts you've yet to pay and may now have to do so as the media Praetorian Guard who have guarded their pseudo-punk memories of youth by ignoring your excesses are replaced by the generation beneath, a generation that looks at your 'iconic legendary status', dismisses it as unearned and undeserved and then summarily casts you into the dustbin of history with howling gales of ridicule attending this wonderful cataclysmic destruction of both your career and the fantasies you hold of your 'legacy' to guard you against your approaching death. May you live just long enough to see your 'legendary status' mocked and debunked world-wide.

The kind people have a dream:
Morrissey on the guillotine.

When will you die?

"BrummieBoy"

via 'The Amanuensis'

Hotel delle Nazioni Milano
Via Alfredo Cappellini
Milano

Milano

Elsa Mars is a German expatriate who is managing a dying freak show.

look, morrisseys a bit detached from the real world of course but at the end of the day Britain voted out of Europe because the people who live here are sick of all the problems over immigration has brought, not sensible controlled immigration like Australia, a gate crashing of peoples towns and citys - mass over load, no one cared about anything else but that issue when they voted

It's the ruling classes of the UK that Morrissey and Marr have a problem with, like so many other Irishmen, rather than the UK itself.
If Morrissey and Marr are Irish, then WE are all African :D

look, morrisseys a bit detached from the real world of course but at the end of the day Britain voted out of Europe because the people who live here are sick of all the problems over immigration has brought, not sensible controlled immigration like Australia, a gate crashing of peoples towns and citys - mass over load, no one cared about anything else but that issue when they voted

Some people. The rest of us think you're knuckle dragging f***wits that forgot that we got rich in the first place on the back of Colonalialism, slavery and the Industrial Revolution, none of which are coming back any time soon. We also notice things like the amount of immigration which is temporary and brings a shitload of money into the country.

I got the impression it was the UK or Britain that was despised, not so much England? Have I missed your point? :oops:

I think it changes to suit his mood. When he attacks the monarchy his target is the British state yet not necesssrily the people.

The “England is mine” line was just simply a good lyric in a good song.

Sanctimonious prick, of course people have cultures, do you think all of the different nationalities that have come to the uk have just forgotten about who they are, where they are from, what their culture is? My family are immigrants to the uk and we're proud of our heritage and culture, that doesn't stop me seeing everyone as equal.

You really are the classic Liberal dumbed down idiot

You can have culture but I don’t judge a person by they’re culture because that’s how people are divided, because people will look at that and make assumptions and judgment on that because they’re different rather then judge them as the person that they are, also I’m not from the UK, I judge a person by theyre character not they’re culture because of that was the case if you hate one person because of they’re culture then your pretty much saying you hate everyone from that culture. Also what does it matter what background we are from what culture your from at the end of the day we are both the same race and that’s the human race and our goals are pretty much the same trying to live out our lives as best we can

Back
Top Bottom