Do you suppose Morrissey likes The Darkness?

W

Weiß

Morrissey was a fan of glam rock. But it's been 23 years since Morrissey wrote The New York Dolls. And the version of Cosmic Dancer on MEBY is over 10 years old (Costa Mesa, 1991 according to It May ALL End Tomorrow).

Do you think he's grown out of his glam rock phase? Or is this all academic because The Darkness suck (though I kinda like them)?

> Morrissey was a fan of glam rock. But it's been 23 years since Morrissey
> wrote The New York Dolls. And the version of Cosmic Dancer on MEBY is over
> 10 years old (Costa Mesa, 1991 according to It May ALL End Tomorrow).

> Do you think he's grown out of his glam rock phase? Or is this all
> academic because The Darkness suck (though I kinda like them)?

I don't know, but i'm sure before long someone will ask him, and his answer will be posted on here...

I'm guessing he thinks they're "alright"

It's possible

It's been awhile since a band made me laugh! I First saw their vid very early in the morning on vh1 one day. I was confused at first but after the whole thing I just thought they where hilarious, Its been a good time since I've been tempted to buy a cd and I think I just might. About Moz, he might get a kick out of 'em! He was a huge early Glam fan and might get a good chuckle out of The Darkness...

> Morrissey was a fan of glam rock. But it's been 23 years since Morrissey
> wrote The New York Dolls. And the version of Cosmic Dancer on MEBY is over
> 10 years old (Costa Mesa, 1991 according to It May ALL End Tomorrow).

> Do you think he's grown out of his glam rock phase? Or is this all
> academic because The Darkness suck (though I kinda like them)?

I have also wondered if Morrissey hates The Darkness as much as I do. I have now came to the conclusion that Morrissey has a strong dislike for the most over-rated band in Britain. I have gathered this impression to what he once moaned about Aerosmith. It was something along the lines of... "Aerosmith have stolen Led Zeppelin's identity. Aerosmith have simply "borrowed" all of Led Zeppelin's best riffs". Replace the word Aerosmith with The Darkness and we could well be on to something.

The difference is The Darkness admit it. They know they're cheesy and they revel in it. It's not like they pretend to be "real" artists. If Morrissey thought T.A.T.U. were clever, I hope to Christ he thinks The Darkness are genius.

How big is the darkness over in the U.K? I take it big but are they big big? You don't hear any of their stuff over here in U.S (at least not in california) other than see their vid on vh1 which is no big fuss but thats all I've seen...

No airplay here in the midwest of the US.

The one video played at 7:45 am every morning on VH-1. But no radio airplay at all. I've heard it once on a tiny community college station. I've asked several people who usually know about import music, and nobody has heard of them.

They were killer.

They played for 2 hours, no opening band. Sounded fantastic. Played several slightly obscure songs instead of just relying on their massive hits. Simon hit all of the high notes without a problem (well, until almost the very end) which impressed the hell out of me. I've heard it was the longest show on the tour. The new tunes (*) were excellent. First time that this incarnation of Duran Duran played All She Wants Is for a live audience.

A View to a Kill
Planet earth
Hungry like the Wolf
Come Undone
What Happens Tomorrow *
New Religon (amazing)
All She Wants Is
Beautiful Colours * (amazing)
Union of the Snake (amazing)
Nightboat
Ordinary World
Save a Prayer
Notorious
Girls on Film
Careless Memories
Wild Boys
White Lines (amazing)
The Reflex
Rio

Yes, John Taylor is still dreamy. Simon, while still handsome and rock star-y, is starting to look just a little like Kevin Spacey. He duffed the lyrics to Save a Prayer

The audience absolutely blew, though. Tiny pockets of people dancing, the rest just standing there. But me and my wife and our friend were dancing like fools in the back row of the floor. F*ck it. How often do you get to see, hear, and dance to a band like Duran Duran playing 15 yards from you in a 1200-seat club?

Re: They were killer.

> They played for 2 hours, no opening band. Sounded fantastic. Played
> several slightly obscure songs instead of just relying on their massive
> hits. Simon hit all of the high notes without a problem (well, until
> almost the very end) which impressed the hell out of me. I've heard it was
> the longest show on the tour. The new tunes (*) were excellent. First time
> that this incarnation of Duran Duran played All She Wants Is for a live
> audience.

> A View to a Kill
> Planet earth
> Hungry like the Wolf
> Come Undone
> What Happens Tomorrow *
> New Religon (amazing)
> All She Wants Is
> Beautiful Colours * (amazing)
> Union of the Snake (amazing)
> Nightboat
> Ordinary World
> Save a Prayer
> Notorious
> Girls on Film
> Careless Memories
> Wild Boys
> White Lines (amazing)
> The Reflex
> Rio

> Yes, John Taylor is still dreamy. Simon, while still handsome and rock
> star-y, is starting to look just a little like Kevin Spacey. He duffed the
> lyrics to Save a Prayer

> The audience absolutely blew, though. Tiny pockets of people dancing, the
> rest just standing there. But me and my wife and our friend were dancing
> like fools in the back row of the floor. F*ck it. How often do you get to
> see, hear, and dance to a band like Duran Duran playing 15 yards from you
> in a 1200-seat club?
I'm glad to hear you had a fun time. They had one of their concerts on last night on Comcast, I missed where it was, but the people were really into it. He does look a little like Kevin Spacey.

Back
Top Bottom