Dublin - Vicar Street (July 16, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / I Wish You Lonely / Jim Jim Falls / Girlfriend In A Coma / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Knockabout World / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Half A Person / My Hurling Days Are Done / Bonfire Of Teenagers / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Loop / Our Frank / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Speedway // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist courtesy of @NealCassidy

Last edited by a moderator:
During the intriguing run of clips about gender identity, a woman from the 60s appeared saying something like, 'pussies pussies pussies, that's all we hear nowadays.'
Not quite correct - in the clip she actually says: "Oh can't we talk about pussies or something nice?" This section wasn't present in the intro video at Portsmouth but is one of a couple of new additions that have happened during the tour.

Time to sleep ;) SPEEDWAY
Brendan !!!:fire::fire::fire:

To Brendan Buckley: 'Every last inch of me is yours, is yours, for evermore'. Probably my favourite Moz musician of all time - absolutely brilliant drummer and seems like the most lovely of guys. What a rendition of 'Speedway'!!

:rock:

He’s 64! That’s not elderly or I’m next for the nursing home lol! I think he looks splendid!
Don't listen to him. If those are that age or around 60 years old, then the guy are envious and must look 80 years old. In my country we say: Esta hecho mierda!! And if he is young he is bitter in a young body More than one would like to be like Moz, . Moz is fine, those black clothes fit him very well although I did not like him so much when he wore wide pants

Estoy de acuerdo con ti (lol); yes I agree it's silly but let's be so thankful the dreadful Mando Speedway ending didn't happen - those words are too meaningful to give away to Spanglish.
When it means cuando in Spanish .che .. They are the words that Jesse teaches Moz another is Basta : stop

Spell-binding show.

Started with How Soon Is Now, played just as recorded, after which Morrissey, commented, 'The Liberties (area where Vicar St. venue is located) doesn't like taking liberties', implying version of HSIN done previous nights was meant to be a different creative version but criticised in error. Perhaps audiences lag in adjusting to new band line-up.

The band sound is often celestially sweet, out of this world, while being muscular, rhythmic and emphatic as suits. Camila performed a shimmering keyboard solo. Morrissey confided he was very happy. Why wouldn't he be? This group has magic that brings out the best in the music.

During Bonfire of Teenagers a woman next to me who came from Manchester was crying, saying this song was very special, fair and expressive of how many feel. This gave me a lot of insight.

Morrissey half offered the mic to the front row to say something, and finally after walking the length of it, mumbling as if disheartened, someone rose to the challenge and said: 'we are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at Morrissey!' Very good!

After a couple of songs, Morrissey mocked the political leaders of both UK and Ireland, and warned to expect nothing from voting. You can't live with people, and you can't live with them, he said! But obviously he must discuss issues with musicians and organisers of various kinds to come to decisions, which is a form of informal voting, as necessary to get things done.

And later again, he said,'we have our unity, we have our history, we have each other, which is everything. Some such bon mots, one of the several bene-dictions of the evening, confirming why most of those who strayed are returning, It also reminded me of Wild Turkey's advice not to bother too much with ever-changing political questions but keep doing what he does so well, like standing up for animals. And reminded me of Malarkey's recognition of his primary strengths as a peerless poet of emotions and relationships, and social drama and landscapes. Kudos, Malarkey! Come back soon!

After the encore IBEH, when the stage had emptied, no one moved for about 5 minutes! It was like everyone in the full house had been hypnotised in place!

Some pre-show memories:

Before these started, there was classical music, which I enjoyed a lot.

Besides a good few already mentioned -

Female cover, audio only, of David Bowie's Andy Warhol, maybe this -

Plus early David Bowie himself on video singing half a song

Sign of the Times by Prince

Playground Twist from Siouxsie and the Banshees-

Most of To Sir with Love by Lulu -

A song with a woman of wide kohl-lined eyes, short hair, in designer clothes, slinking around a posh hotel-type joint singing a slow song with the line 'I love the ground you walk on' and ending with 'black is the colour of my true love's hair' (but not that song) from maybe the 60s.

A run of cognitively rousing clips including Lypsinka slurring about the importance of nationality and identity, a man from 60s singing a verse of a song aparently about the challenge of being gay.

If I think of more tomorrow, I'll add them on.

Fantastic review, my friend!! The gig sounded pretty good from the reports coming in, but you've pretty much nailed what appears to have been a great night for artist and audience. He seems to have really been enjoying himself, judging by the video clips, as indeed do an enthralled crowd.
As you know, I would have to disagree that ANY version of '...Around Paris...' could ever be described as 'exquisite', but I'll take your word for it on this occasion.
With him not playing any Scottish dates on this tour(so far), your review, and the photos and videos posted here are probably about as close as I'm going to get, so lang may yer lum reek, wan ten deffo :thumb:

As for the pre-show clips; Dana Gillespie was David Bowie's girlfriend for most of the second half of the 1960s. He co-wrote and produced a couple of her albums in the late 60s(which are quite wonderful and worth seeking out), as are most of the albums she made up until the mid 70s when she became more a straightforward Blues singer.
She made an appearance, while only 17, in a weird film called 'Secrets Of A Windmill Girl':

'Playground Twist' is easily my favourite Siouxsie song. Looks amazing on the big screen with the crowd.

It looks like he's shaken the pre-show and backdrop images up a bit, as there had been a bit too much NY Dolls and Coronation Street of late.

So, glad you had a great night. Meanwhile I'm sat twiddling my thumbs, hoping Frankly, The Smiths will announce another Falkirk date some time soon:ha-no::clap::sunglasses:

'Fire' review of last night from good ole Hot Press -

Has anyone identified who is pictured on his tie?
Look again

Singing.jpg

Why do so many people here go on about how good he looks? He looks exactly like what he is, an elderly seen-better-days former popstar on the slide down. He and Iggy should sing a shirtless duet and bump chests so we can all throw up in unison. I know I'm talking about icons we should cherish but I'm sick of old-fart rock and roll.
Obvious Morrissey hater goes on main Morrissey fan website to slag off Morrissey behind the gutless veil of anonymity because he or she has clearly nothing better to do with their life :crazy:

Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1997doh::gun:

In 2009 we had set lists like this:

The Loop
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
This Charming Man
Let Me Kiss You
If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look at Me
Black Cloud
Teenage Dad on His Estate
Cemetry Gates
Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself
One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
Death at One's Elbow
Ask
When Last I Spoke to Carol
Is It Really So Strange?
Ganglord
Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice
How Soon Is Now?

Dare I ask, does the pre show video montage STILL end with that godawful shrieking drag act lypsynka?

Dare I ask, does the pre show video montage STILL end with that godawful shrieking drag act lypsynka?
Yes and no.
After at least a decade (what feels like two) the 'F*ck me! F*ck me!' bit has finally gone.
Of course, this being Morrissey, it now ends with another different Lypsinka drag segment instead, this time with him singing 'Anything Goes' (it looks to be sourced from the following Youtube video)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom