El Paso, TX - Plaza Theatre (May 13, 2014) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Set List:

Hand In Glove / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Ganglord / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Speedway / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / That's How People Grow Up / Earth Is The Loneliest Planet / Life Is A Pigsty / The Bullfighter Dies / Girl Least Likely To / I Have Forgiven Jesus / Yes, I Am Blind / Meat Is Murder / Trouble Loves Me / I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday / The National Front Disco // Asleep / One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell

set list provided by setlist.fm and gustavo

• Morrissey stops El Paso show because of how security was treating fans, says tour manager - kvia.com. Link posted by Chip.

Excerpt:

A Harvest Records publicist told ABC-7 Wednesday afternoon that the El Paso show was stopped because "security was being too rough with his fans, and he got upset about it. Since it was the ... encore, he just stopped playing so they wouldn't get hurt."

The publicist received the explanation from Morrissey's tour manager.

The publicist added that "fans coming on stage is a longstanding Morrissey tradition - he loves them!"
  • Photos: Morrissey performs at the Plaza Theatre - El Paso Times. Photos by Ruben R. Ramirez (22 total). Link posted by gustavo.

elpaso.jpg

Last edited:
Moz Army/Blue Rose Society/Moz Krew

All jokes! You are no less pathetic than Juggalos, Maggits, and Turbojugend.
Keep shouting yourself out and making yourself feel important because you're just a nuisance in the big picture. Morrissey doesn't give a f*** about you and is probably ashamed of having his name associated with people like you.

Hey! What's wrong with Turbojugend?

I've always felt Morrissey was a dynamic, enigmatic
and captivating performer and person.
All of this was just confirmed for me when I saw him
Live last night. He is amazing!!
It felt like he was singing to you and you could just grab
out and hug him. I was sad that
security acted the way they did but all that aside, I loved
his performance. Morrissey
can't wait for your return to El Paso.... Someday ;).
Next time please play The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get':D

Hugs!!
Monica

Hey f***head selfish stage invader pigs, think you can let the man and his band finish their set for the rest of the tour?

Here's the official story (or at least what Harvest Records says)

During "Someday Goodbye Will Be Forever," the second song of the encore, fans one-by-one climbed the stage and hugged or attempted to hug Morrissey. About halfway through the song, Morrissey stopped his band, dropped the microphone and walked off, followed by his band.

A Harvest Records publicist told ABC-7 Wednesday afternoon that the El Paso show was stopped because "security was being too rough with his fans, and he got upset about it. Since it was the ... encore, he just stopped playing so they wouldn't get hurt."

The publicist received the explanation from Morrissey's tour manager.

The publicist added that "fans coming on stage is a longstanding Morrissey tradition - he loves them!"

http://www.kvia.com/news/morrissey-...se-of-how-security-was-treating-fans/25981422

So it was not a rough fan or mysterious crotch grabber that caused the show to be stopped. This would be why he shakes hands with the one fan and apologizes.

They're just trying to protect you, Morrissey.

Last edited:
I agree with this. It was a long time ago so I doubted my memory but I was there in the rafters with an unobstructed view of the entire night and there were no stage invaders.

checking in to clarify something.
nowhere was I implying that there were any stage invaders at that show.
that statement was made to indicate the length of time have been attending shows.
there may have been some at the orange county one possibly.
the first real mayhem i recall was at the arsenal hollywood bowl show.
that was when the hooligans ransacked all of the concession stands on the way out after the show.

and to the women,children and disabled comment.
if they can hang in the press then good on them.
i don't see any "disadvantage" created by being a member of either/all of those groups.
do you? please share.

Last edited:
I imagine it is the fact that Morrissey's fan-base has mutated since the eighties from essentially quiet, often literary, dare I say it, thoughtful Brits to, well, something else.

Smiths shows could get boisterous, but I never felt any of the ones I attended were about to combust. There was always something slightly spiritual about it, in stark contrast to, for instance the Pogues, or the Mary Chain. Smiths' shows were a joyous occasion, where social outsiders could, perhaps, get a rare sense of belonging to something. The gang mentality in those days was the gang of loving the Smiths. The footage of the '88 Wolverhampton solo show illustrates that atmosphere well. Crazy, but a roller-coaster rather than a car crash.

Maybe that has been replaced by a gang mentality far more sinister. That, perhaps allied to a Morrissey far too ready today to swap humour and wit for anger and bile reflects in the shows and the attendees. Young Morrissey's solution to the world sometimes being a difficult place to navigate was to seek and preach refuge and solace in literature and the other arts. Old Morrissey is a defeated creature, only able to cobble together trite, vaguely obtuse imbecilities about revolution from his mansion on the hill in-between trans Atlantic phone calls to his business advisors and accountants. Whether or not he has changed in those three decades depends, I suppose, on whether you bought the act initially. Many of us who were there seeing it firsthand in the eighties must now wonder.

I was surprised by CG mentioning the punching the other night. I know she was caught up in the thrill of it all, but I can't be the only one who thought it didn't sound much fun. Who wants to spend an evening with thugs so out of control they, accidentally or not, bloody the nose of a woman? Ridiculous, unnecessary and unacceptable.

I think society has changed as well, but I have to agree with some of what you've written here. I wasn't a fan since the beginning but I remember buying Strangeways when it was new. I never saw the Smiths but I saw Morrissey's 1991 tour. Everything was different then. Young people going to see Morrissey today live in a different world. I don't fault him for being successful and the advisers and accountants. I think you can be rich and remember what it was to struggle. All show business is an act, though. Part of what you're talking about is that you've had your illusions shattered, and since it was an important part of your youth it feels like something was taken from you, maybe. But Morrissey's tone has changed and there is some truth in what you've written. It's a very good post.

Like you, eh?

(I've never read a book on stalkers, but I'm pretty sure their common defense must be: "I just wanted to protect her.")

So what am I? The security? Or the fan looking for a handshake? Am I going to every gig? Did I stalk his hotel when he was in LA? No.

THAT PICTURE IS OF ME SHAKING MOZ'S HAND!!! I also was next to all that happened up front & Moz definitely noticed the security next to me holding a fan back in a chokehold & Moz saying "I'm sorry" to the fan & then gestured to the band to leave the stage with him. Most people in attendance didn't realize that was the last anyway & started to boo. Oh well that isn't the first time Moz has cut a show prematurely. It's all apart of being a fan sometimes. I'll always stay true to Moz.

Az Moz Fan

He didn't shake the security guards hand. He shook the hand of the fan in between the two guards he was pointing at while saying, "bum, bum, bum". The reason it looks like he shook the guards hand is because the guard had both hands on the fan's shoulders, so Morrissey shook the fan's right hand, but you see the fan grab him with his left as he starts to walk off the stage. It's hard to see, but I've watched it at least twenty times. That's what it looks like to me.

Sometimes it pays to read the anonymous posts.

I was at this show. Morrissey looked annoyed & uncomfortable when the fans were hugging him. Right before he walked off stage some idiot ran from behind & grabbed him. That was the point where he dropped the microphone & walked off stage. If he did have an issue with security, why punish the fans? The explaination doesn't make sense...

It was the last song of the set. Stopping the music diffused the situation.

We got a great set and the last few minutes did not ruin the whole show, as far as I'm concerned.

I was at this show. Morrissey looked annoyed & uncomfortable when the fans were hugging him. Right before he walked off stage some idiot ran from behind & grabbed him. That was the point where he dropped the microphone & walked off stage. If he did have an issue with security, why punish the fans? The explaination doesn't make sense...

Based on the video that someone kindly posted, Moz stopped the band from playing right when a security guard grabbed the arm of a fan reaching to touch him. Looked like the guard thought he was doing what he was supposed to. Immediately after the "stop, stop" a fan ran up behind him and the same security guard protected Moz from the sneak attack. Would be nice if there were policies about reaching & stage invading that the audience and security guards were all aware of.

Here's the official story (or at least what Harvest Records says)

http://www.kvia.com/news/morrissey-...se-of-how-security-was-treating-fans/25981422

So it was not a rough fan or mysterious crotch grabber that caused the show to be stopped. This would be why he shakes hands with the one fan and apologizes.

I drove all the way to El Paso from Albuquerque for this show and was quite upset by his stoppage. It seemed to me like the guards were sort of letting some people come on stage even after the California fiasco and I knew it was going to happen. These fans were obviously alot younger than his die hard fan base and it was upsetting. I had a hard time sleeping that night because I was so distraught for traveling for an incomplete show. I am so disappointed.

For those of you who were curious, here's video of "Girl Least Likely To":

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom