Electra Deal?

What the hell is mysterious about Mporium? He might as well be posting self-depracating selfies and 140-character twitter rants. A pic of Morrissey cuddling a kitten with f***ed-up hair in bed watching Twilight would blow up the internet. And sell albums. He could financially corner the market on "Guess what? I'm just like you." now that he's established a lifetime of mystery.

He's not all that mysterious. He hasn't been for some time.

Again, the Johnny Marr method for social media is the way to go for Moz. Some of it's run by his team, some by him. Moz doesn't have to post his meals but a selfie backstage mixed in with tour news and single releases will sky rocket him into relevance. The amount of indie cred he has is amazing for a 55 year old- the teenagers on Twitter drooling over him could be a real asset. He just needs to get with the program, get on tv, do photoshoots and get on social media. He's not Bowie- he can't be a recluse and release an album with no promotion and sell. He can't.

He's no longer the mysterious celibate he was in the 80s- he needs to play the game if he wants to be number 1. I truly believe Harvest tried.

Again, the Johnny Marr method for social media is the way to go for Moz. Some of it's run by his team, some by him. Moz doesn't have to post his meals but a selfie backstage mixed in with tour news and single releases will sky rocket him into relevance. The amount of indie cred he has is amazing for a 55 year old- the teenagers on Twitter drooling over him could be a real asset. He just needs to get with the program, get on tv, do photoshoots and get on social media. He's not Bowie- he can't be a recluse and release an album with no promotion and sell. He can't.

He's no longer the mysterious celibate he was in the 80s- he needs to play the game if he wants to be number 1. I truly believe Harvest tried.

I honestly think someone from his camp sabotaged Harvest's attempt. I could be wrong but it was getting exciting for a few minutes then all of a sudden, BLAM. It's fishy.

And as for Johnny Marr Method, if he announces himself as Steven f***ing Morrissey, it's over. :D But you're right, he really needs to cash in the mystery chips and make himself more accessible and approachable to people who spring twelve bucks for an album. People want to identify with an artist. They also don't want to be told to buy this or buy that. You have to let them sneak a peak into your normalcy and they'll just buy the album on their own. The minute you turn your twitter feed into a marketing machine, people unfollow because the money angle is transparent and sad. But if we heard his oatmeal tasted delicious yesterday, we'd identify and want to know more.

I used to run this thing called the American Girl Tea Party at Barnes & Noble. It got so popular the fire marshal had to stop in to make sure there weren't too many people in the aisles and it had to be managed on schedules (and I quit.) I was just having fun. When I put my artwork on Etsy and tried marketing myself? CRICKETS. You have to sell units and your identity by NOT bringing money and marketing into it, by just being yourself. Morrissey needs to relax and be himself. On twitter. That's just my opinion. My Senior Project Coordinator designed the GAP logo and throught my ideas were pretty smart, I'm not approaching this from a stab-in-the-dark place. Morrissey has the infectious nature that twitter thrives on by just being himself.

Last edited:
Re: Electra Deal

This is what I've been saying. Julia is about the most unhip a person can get. If he wants to sell records and concert tickets and be relevant he needs a team of 20/30-something hipsters to get on social media and start up the Morrissey machine in a way that doesn't scream commercial.

It can be done. Start up the Instagram and throw a selfie up there and watch everyone go wild, then hand it over to the team to start marketing the new album. Dylan Moran is an Irish comedian that decided he wanted to try out America 2 years ago. He's 43. He hired a team of young kids in Brooklyn who got his name out on social media. They always stated they were behind the Twitter account, but occasionally he pops in and posts a video or a tweet. What happened? A guy that was only known in America by college kids who watched his old British sitcom on Netflix was now selling out theatres. I went to multiple shows and I saw it happen.

Morrissey, believe it or not, has major indie street cred. The kids love him and if he can get his shit together and realise this isn't 1956 and he needs a descent website and a team to run his social media he can get back to where he wants to be.

I think he's too old fashioned and too cheap to pay for all this but it needs to be done.

Julia is fine and will always have the first say. The worry may be, that with other media outlets, "things" may be posted that are too dire and needy. M is not one to be caught in such situations. It has been tried before with less than humiliating results...and requires such finesse rendering "young ones" obsolete, as no finesse is to be found among those who were brought on board. Hence, all sides blame one another and life circles on.... xx

Oh, so he is no longer mysterious? Then why does this site still exist? Why do people post page after page about every topic imaginable? Because we don't know as much about Moz as we think we do. And for me that's absolutely okay. And regarding the social media aspect, I want Moz to follow his heart and when that means that he isn't comfortable with social media, then so be it. I don't want him do things he has no passion about just because we as fans demand it. To a certain extant he knows that some things have to be done in order to let people know his music like, for example, tv appearances. So he compromises and appears on tv even though we know that he doesn't feel comfortable in that environment either but he cuts it down up to a certain extent where he feels comfortable. You see, comfort is the key phrase!wi

I honestly think someone from his camp sabotaged Harvest's attempt. I could be wrong but it was getting exciting for a few minutes then all of a sudden, BLAM. It's fishy.

And as for Johnny Marr Method, if he announces himself as Steven f***ing Morrissey, it's over. :D But you're right, he really needs to cash in the mystery chips and make himself more accessible and approachable to people who spring twelve bucks for an album. People want to identify with an artist. They also don't want to be told to buy this or buy that. You have to let them sneak a peak into your normalcy and they'll just buy the album on their own. The minute you turn your twitter feed into a marketing machine, people unfollow because the money angle is transparent and sad. But if we heard his oatmeal tasted delicious yesterday, we'd identify and want to know more.

I used to run this thing called the American Girl Tea Party at Barnes & Noble. It got so popular the fire marshal had to stop in to make sure there weren't too many people in the aisles and it had to be managed on schedules (and I quit.) I was just having fun. When I put my artwork on Etsy and tried marketing myself? CRICKETS. You have to sell units and your identity by NOT bringing money and marketing into it, by just being yourself. Morrissey needs to relax and be himself. On twitter. That's just my opinion. My Senior Project Coordinator designed the GAP logo and throught my ideas were pretty smart, I'm not approaching this from a stab-in-the-dark place. Morrissey has the infectious nature that twitter thrives on by just being himself.

Why are people interested in oatmeal? Should people be interested in oatmeal? Organic? Made in a facility that kills plants, on and on? Where will it end? Why let it begin? Serious questions that need answers.... Also, the longevity of sociial media in a three bullet, 160 character world. Is this what we've become? I don't know...anyone, any one, no one. xx

Oh I think that first tweet was him, and then harvest took over and he had second thoughts and announced he had nothing to do with it. I think if he just gave a little insight into his life he could capitalise on this. He gave a tv audience a tour of his house, so why not this?

He needs to sign a deal in London. An American label might be able to afford a bigger advance, but the uphill struggle of trying to sell an album from an office in LA when all the publicity potential is in the UK will be exactly the same as it was last time round.

Why are people interested in oatmeal? Should people be interested in oatmeal? Organic? Made in a facility that kills plants, on and on? Where will it end? Why let it begin? Serious questions that need answers.... Also, the longevity of sociial media in a three bullet, 160 character world. Is this what we've become? I don't know...anyone, any one, no one. xx

It's more interesting than the goddam queen.

Last edited by a moderator:
He'll, he could just use joes collection of photos. The one of him looking in the compact, alternate cover photos with the violin or tommy gun. Pics of him with fans on the street to make people jealous and want there photo of him and them posted. Contests of this nature. So so many options. The demand is beyond there and would be hugely benefitial with minimal effeort

I'm glad Morrissey isn't on social media - his rants on True to You are bad enough for his public image. If he was on Twitter we wouldn't get interesting back stage photos - just endless booze and pasta-fuelled rants about the Royal Family, David and Victoria Beckham, and paranoid gubbins about how the charts are all paid for and rigged by a secret cabal of Morrissey-haters every time he releases something that doesn't get to #1.

Be very careful what you wish for.

What I find odd is that someone has taken control of the social media accounts.

The official Morrissey instagram hasn't posted, but has been searching the Morrissey tag and liking fans photos of him. Also he Facebook account has been posting again.

Don't know if the record company is trying to build up interest, or if it's the tour promoter or Damon and Morrissey sitting at the laptop.

There is no official Morrissey instagram or facebook.

There is no official Morrissey instagram or facebook.

There is a Facebook called Morrissey Official that has a check mark and was advertising tour dates and Mporium sales. That's official.

The instagram is called Official and has the world peace website listed.

He'll, he could just use joes collection of photos. The one of him looking in the compact, alternate cover photos with the violin or tommy gun. Pics of him with fans on the street to make people jealous and want there photo of him and them posted. Contests of this nature. So so many options. The demand is beyond there and would be hugely benefitial with minimal effeort

I disagree. Twtter responds to snapshot culture unless it's TBT, then old snapshots. Posed shots, preplanned humblebrags, studio images all fail on twitter. It's not for rehashing and sculpting a persona, it's for talking about what is trending and making the mundane in your life trend. There is a loss of control, but it's a type of chaos that sells and feeds off itself. And sells albums. There is an art to twitter and it changes daily.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm glad Morrissey isn't on social media - his rants on True to You are bad enough for his public image. If he was on Twitter we wouldn't get interesting back stage photos - just endless booze and pasta-fuelled rants about the Royal Family, David and Victoria Beckham, and paranoid gubbins about how the charts are all paid for and rigged by a secret cabal of Morrissey-haters every time he releases something that doesn't get to #1.

Be very careful what you wish for.

The biggest problem with TTY posts is the third-person regal, detached snobbishness of the voice. "Morrissey was heard saying he disapproved..." f*** that shit.

The president of Elektra just posted a photo of the Smiths on Instagram saying they are his favourite band.

Could this mean something?

I disagree. Twtter responds to snapshot culture unless it's TBT, then old snapshots. Posed shots, preplanned humblebrags, studio images all fail on twitter. It's not for rehashing and sculpting a persona, it's for talking about what is trending and making the mundane in your life trend. There is a loss of control, but it's a type of chaos that sells and feeds off itself. And sells albums. There is an art to twitter and it changes daily.

- - - Updated - - -

The biggest problem with TTY posts is the third-person regal, detached snobbishness of the voice. "Morrissey was heard saying he disapproved..." f*** that shit.

I wasn't speaking of twitter really but other social media such official websites facebook instagram. I think twitter is kinda pointless and wouldn't be good for moz. One on one interaction is not gonna work for him IMO

The president of Elektra just posted a photo of the Smiths on Instagram saying they are his favourite band.

Could this mean something?

ofc, that he's a man with good taste in music :rofl:

I wasn't speaking of twitter really but other social media such official websites facebook instagram. I think twitter is kinda pointless and wouldn't be good for moz. One on one interaction is not gonna work for him IMO

Definitely one in one interaction would be bad, but if he followed the lead of the comedians and put his ideas out and responded rarely and only when enlightened to a persons point then he'd be safe.

Twitter mirrors the heartbeat of all that's bad and good about pop culture. It's a great venue to add your two cents on stuff that's trending. It's designed to work w Bird. I don't even use it but I should.

Last edited:
Definitely one in one interaction would be bad, but if he followed the lead of the comedians and put his ideas out and responded rarely and only when enlightened to a persons point then he'd be safe.

Twitter mirrors the heartbeat of all that's bad and good about pop culture. It's a great venue to add your two cents on stuff that's trending. It's designed to work w Bird. I don't even use it but I should.

He should hire a team to run the Twitter so he doesn't have to see the obligatory assholes responding with homophobic remarks and tweets about eating a steak. He could snap a cool selfie occasionally or send the odd tweet signed "M" or something and the team could still deal with the account.

It's also a good way of bringing attention to the causes he cares about. Releasing statements through a fanatic's 1997 website is just embarrassing.

See I think interaction would be good just not direct. For example a me and moz instagram would be fun as people love to take pics with him and not just of him. Scoring one is a feat. Make A place where fans could post and he could comment occasionally on them would let people know he's looking and keeping the interaction at a distance would be intriguing for people and drive them to keep posting in hopes of scoring a comment. Just one example of fan interaction at a distance that would bring people back again and again for many reasons. Let an editor have final approval and it's be all good. Also let fans talk to one another and share the stories behind the pics would Add a another layer to the site and increase traffic. You'd see those stories quoted all over the place.

Back
Top Bottom