Favourite Morrissey cover version?

Although I haven't heard it I imagine No One Can Hold... is surely a vast improvement over the original. Yes?

Moz's version is better than the original, but not by much. I was really surprised at how much I liked the original.

That's Entertainment
Skin Storm
Moonriver

And No One Can Hold a Candle to You...of which...

Moz's version is better than the original, but not by much. I was really surprised at how much I liked the original.

I have never heard the original. But I love Morrissey's 'intro'... (from 1994 Manchester/MEN--copied from Passions)... Mozzer: *breathless* "If you would now, if you would now please indulge me with a cover version, Julia knows... from the 19h8'ys and (someone shouts: The New York Dolls!) No, the New York Dolls were not in the 1980s (Morrissey giggles)... but nice try, and why don't you name that tune!" To me, that's as much a part of the song as the song itself! :D

I love how he says "covah" and the "nice trahy" :) *accents kill me*

And after the song... Morrissey: "So could you name the tune? Ah! Who? Spandau Ballet? No..." :laughing:

Last edited:
Here is the original..personally I think James Maker does a fine job..

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the original..personally I think James Maker does a fine job.

Thanks, mod. I liked it too, great version of a Morrissey song. ;)
I just realized...how could I have chosen it as a favorite cover if I had never heard the original. :o:rolleyes::doh: Thanks for going easy on me. ;)

Not bad, thanks. Maker's vocals are a touch amateurish though (and off-key). Still, of all the covers Morrissey has ever done surely this one is the closest to what seems like a Moz original, musically and lyrically.

How is the Maker album Morrissey's Attack label released?

Now, where's that photo of him in a diaphanous shirt and quiff that Morrissey surely stole for his November Spawns look?...

Here is the original..personally I think James Maker does a fine job..

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I've never heard the Street Life or Nothing Rhymed covers...any chance a kind soul could point me in the direction of where to find them in best quality?

Also, can't believe nobody has mentioned 'My Insatiable One' yet... :)

Nothing Rhymed
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C9DZHA6Y

The only cover I prefer to the original is You Say You Don't Love Me, the others I still love and are just as good apart from Redondo Beach and Trash which are so bad... so, so bad.

Fine. I'll admit it...I like "Golden Lights".
"That's Entertainment" gets sloppy seconds.

I kinda like Golden Lights too, at least I don´t hate it.

I didn´t even know That´s Entertainment was a cover song until I saw the original on VH1. Not bad, not bad.

"Redondo Beach". Excellent- especially live.
The other one I love is "Subway Train" by the New York Dolls, although he only gets about a third of the way into the song before breaking into 'Munich Air Disaster'. Would love to hear the whole song done by Moz.

matt's drumming on a song from under the floorboards is brill:thumb:

This I totally agree with. I think Matt's drumming on YOR coupled with Jerry's :)tears:RIP) production and mixing, render a fantasic sound. What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom