Fiona Dodwell: “Truth-Tellers Silenced” (December 29, 2023)

Another day, another Fiona piece…

Some nice new photos by Ryan Lowry included:
A8A5E590-29AF-4E62-A112-240AC919E80E.jpeg
CB86CEFB-F275-4E63-B945-5D7348C831CE.jpeg

Second photo from Fiona Dodwell tweet (link posted by Famous when dead):

UPDATE Dec. 31:

Slightly different color version posted by Juan / Instagram. Link posted by Famous when dead (original post):

full

Last edited by a moderator:
He's at least as talented as Marr, but he doesn't get the same coverage, because of things he said that just don't align with the required ambient conformity.
Their talents aren't really comparable. Morrissey is a great singer, performer and a lyricist, but ha can't play an instrument or compose a song, so he'll always need talented musicians to make music. Marr on the other hand is not much of a singer or a lyricist, so he's at his best when laying in background groundwork for more charismatic singers to shine. I wouldn't blame Morrissey's troubles solely on refusal to conform, because refusing to do interviews, fighting with record companies and cancelling gigs all the time without explanation are all valid reasons for his downfall too as well as the declining quality of his musical output.

"Truth-Tellers of the world unite and be unfairly cancelled" could be the title of a compilation spanning the "very difficult" years 2017-2023. Unreleased live tracks, unreleased album tracks and unreleased demos.

Last edited:

You can't compare Moz's current mediocre 5 piece to The Smiths.
The current line-up looks as bad as they play and sound... sadly only the drummer is good.
This is truly the worst era to be a Moz fan.

Boy... I can't wait to hear news about the next album being recorded and not released!
But then again If this current line up plays on the record... I'll just wait for the next one.

Their talents aren't really comparable. Morrissey is a great singer, performer and a lyricist, but ha can't play an instrument or compose a song, so he'll always need talented musicians to make music. Marr on the other hand is not much of a singer or a lyricist, so he's at his best when laying in background groundwork for more charismatic singers to shine. I wouldn't blame Morrissey's troubles solely on refusal to conform, because refusing to do interviews, fighting with record companies and cancelling gigs all the time without explanation are all valid reasons for his downfall too as well as the declining quality of his musical output.
Not to be argumentative, but when you say Morrissey can't compose a song I would disagree. Morrissey composed all the vocal melodies for the Smiths music. I agree Marr created all the chord changes and such, but it is the vocal melody you remember. If you take the vocal melody away from any Smiths song, it is a nice backing track with some great guitar and the 3 piece band (Marr, Rourke, Joyce) were a tight unit, but it would be nothing without the vocal melody which is what you hum (so to speak) and remember. It would just be elevator music without Morrissey's vocal melody. But, you are spot on in regards to the management of his career. Marr really seems to have it together in a big way regarding the management of his career and seems to have surrounded himself with management and people that are really on the lookout for him as opposed to Morrissey who don't seem to care much about anything when it comes to his career other that to take a hatchet to it. Regarding his musical output, I agree except for Dog which I thought was his best record since Vauxhall. It is a shame he let Miley Cyrus hose Bonfire and Without Music seems to be Without a distributor so it could have been a great run if Morrissey if he even half cared about his career. Cheers!

Don't really agree with that, Morrissey made the Smiths special but so did the music, it's nowhere close to elevator music and it was mostly the first stage of the song writing process, without it there would be nothing for Morrissey to reshape and then Marr to respond back again etc.

As for today the biggest difference between them is that Marr is prepared to reliably graft away doing publicity etc and do it with the energy of younger artists, he also seems easier to work with if that's your job and seems happy and thankful for his career.

Not to be argumentative, but when you say Morrissey can't compose a song I would disagree. Morrissey composed all the vocal melodies for the Smiths music. I agree Marr created all the chord changes and such, but it is the vocal melody you remember. If you take the vocal melody away from any Smiths song, it is a nice backing track with some great guitar and the 3 piece band (Marr, Rourke, Joyce) were a tight unit, but it would be nothing without the vocal melody which is what you hum (so to speak) and remember. It would just be elevator music without Morrissey's vocal melody. But, you are spot on in regards to the management of his career. Marr really seems to have it together in a big way regarding the management of his career and seems to have surrounded himself with management and people that are really on the lookout for him as opposed to Morrissey who don't seem to care much about anything when it comes to his career other that to take a hatchet to it. Regarding his musical output, I agree except for Dog which I thought was his best record since Vauxhall. It is a shame he let Miley Cyrus hose Bonfire and Without Music seems to be Without a distributor so it could have been a great run if Morrissey if he even half cared about his career. Cheers!

What songs has Morrissey composed by himself? To call the Smiths elevator music tells me you don't understand or appreciate music at all.

He gets his band to wear f*** TRUMP shirts but supports far right crazies in the UK. He's no truth-teller, he's a muddled old queen who has lost his way and wants to blame everyone else. He used to be a champion of the downtrodden, the forgotten, the misfit, now he's just a typical GB News viewer, lashing out at 'the system', but can't tell us who or what the system actually is.

He gets his band to wear f*** TRUMP shirts but supports far right crazies in the UK. He's no truth-teller, he's a muddled old queen who has lost his way and wants to blame everyone else. He used to be a champion of the downtrodden, the forgotten, the misfit, now he's just a typical GB News viewer, lashing out at 'the system', but can't tell us who or what the system actually is.
Perfectly put.

Bloody awful piece. Sections of it could have been written by Morrissey himself. There is no great conspiracy to 'silence' him, he's just not worth the trouble for labels to deal with. Morrissey has fallen out with virtually everyone he has been professionally involved with (and possibly personally involved with) since the beginning of The Smiths. They can't all be at fault. Fiona states that the press has never supported talent. That is utter rubbish. To name but one, Johnny Marr gets great press and his talent is lauded and celebrated from pillar to post and I'm pretty sure he was also in The Smiths. There's no conspiracy, big or small, to silence or to 'do' Morrissey or to finish him. He's simply his own worst enemy.
I think he might have sent her a rough draft at the very least. It does sound very much like him. No one is lining up to interview him (he said he wouldn’t grant interviews anymore) so the only way to get his word out is by going through someone like Fiona who he can kind of control and who would never be critical of him.

He needs to understand that just because his fans are critical of his work (or whatever he’s said) it doesn’t mean we don’t care for or love him anymore. Usually it’s because we do care and love him so much! The only one stopping Morrissey is Morrissey himself.

Trying to gain fame through Miley Syrus is unfathomable to me as a nearly 40 year Morrissey fan. He might as well contact Taylor Swift, too. He is so much better than that! He is an outsider and always has been. At one point I thought he was proud of that. I thought he was proud that he attracted a mostly intelligent and deeply loyal fan base. But he wasn’t really political in those days. Not like he is now. His lyrics were lead by his emotions of love, loss, loneliness, and individuality. He spoke to those of us who needed more than just a simple pop song. I mean, he’s good at simple pop songs, but even they have something to say that is witty and humorous and fills the heart with joy.

It’s still in him, but it’s been buried under a lot of bitterness, unfortunately. He needs to let go and start fresh.

Well, that’s just my opinion, which means absolutely nothing , of course! 😁

Last edited:
What songs has Morrissey composed by himself? To call the Smiths elevator music tells me you don't understand or appreciate music at all.
Actually, I'm not sure The Draze Train is even good elevator music. Take away Morrissey's vocals and Morrissey's vocal melody lines that he composed himself from every Smiths song and see how far you get as in Nowhere Fast. That is not to say Marr, Rourke, and Joyce were not great at what they did, of course Smiths music is beautiful and fantastically played, but I don't think I would be much interested in Smiths records if you stripped away all the vocal melody lines which were all independently composed by Morrissey unless you consider the voice not to be a musical instrument. In which case, listen to the birds sing on a Spring morning and it is pure improvisational music with thousands of motifs, phrases, and melodic lines like no instrument can match.

YES!

We need something like this to start a New Year.

Please, Moz. ❤️
Wether we consider him a truth-teller or not, we might all agree on the fact that Miley's vocals blocking the release of his album contributed to silence him.

I'd really appreciate it if FWD or others could replace the latest story with a fake one saying the new Moz album is out Jan 1st, at midnight on Spotify UK/IRL time so I can get bladdered and pretend it's real. Thanks and Happy Moz Year 2024.

1000018929.jpg

nothing wrong with gb news,watch it everyday,right wing yes,certainly not far right.

I'd really appreciate it if FWD or others could replace the latest story with a fake one saying the new Moz album is out Jan 1st, at midnight on Spotify UK/IRL time so I can get bladdered and pretend it's real. Thanks and Happy Moz Year 2024.

View attachment 99409
acton only five hours and fifteen minutes till the new album comes out,get yer card at the ready to buy every version,get yer cans in the fridge.

Last edited:
Tags
fiona dodwell
Back
Top Bottom