Fiona Dodwell interview - Felten Ink (Jan. 30, 2020)

On Mozza: "He is an absolutely outstanding artist, entirely in a league of his own"

I saw interview on Fiona dodwell about her writing and they ended asking some questions about why she likes Mozza and why she would still support him, and I think it hits the nail on the head for a lot of fans who still stand by Morrissey, so thought worth sharing

Link to the full thing is here

FIONA DODWELL: “INEXPLICABLE EVENTS HAVE PROBABLY PLANTED LITTLE SEEDS OF INSPIRATION.” - Felten Ink

I have to ask you about Morrissey, after all, you drew my attention with your interviews and I’ve been following you on social media ever since. What do you think that’s so divisive about him among people?

I think Morrissey is seen by some as a “divisive” figure because there simply is no one else out there like him, being so truthful, so open, so willing to discuss things that others won’t. He doesn’t pander to the press, he doesn’t bind himself to the apparent “boundaries” that other artists apply themselves to (out of fear of being controversial or opinionated). He is a rarity, a non-conformist, and because of that, people are sometimes shocked. Wow – a singer with an opinion? Aren’t they just supposed to stand there and inoffensively nod along? No, Morrissey has never been like that and it’s one of the reasons I admire him. There are few like him out there, we should treasure the braver souls amongst us.

What was the initial attraction for you?

First and foremost it’s about the music. That’s the main thing. He is an absolutely outstanding artist, entirely in a league of his own. I know I have spent many years with his music as the “backdrop” to my daily life and so his lyrics, his albums, are very special to me. Then, as we discussed above, there is his confidence and willingness to be bold and strong in the face of some really bad treatment from the mainstream media. That’s something I admire, more than I can express. I get bored of people who try to blend in, or who baulk at the idea of standing-out. It excites me when I see somebody who is willing to go against the grain, and let’s face it, Morrissey does this often. Alongside all of this, I’ve always admired his stance on animal rights.

Why do you think certain elements of the press now take such an unfavourable stance towards him?

I think it’s a combination of lazy journalism, lazy thinking and the hunger to be seen as “politically correct” in a climate where being offended is the fashion. Rarely does the mainstream press actually stop and examine why Morrissey says what he says, they just seem to take a line or two and then run away with their own story.

I find myself agreeing with him more than anything else, but I’d be appalled to be labelled ‘far right’…

It’s the names and labels that do the most damage. If you call somebody “far right” or “racist” then you have blocked the debate at hand, and stopped people examining the specific issues that are being discussed. Plenty of times, Morrissey has made valid points or issues that are relevant, yet what he says isn’t dissected, it’s people’s opinions about what he says that are instead dissected. Why are the mainstream so afraid of actually discussing what he says with level-headedness? Why does everything have to come down to name-calling, immature headlines and mud-slinging? Nobody needs to agree with what another says to at least respectfully hear them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
'there simply is no one else out there like him, being so truthful'. Apart from the times when he's lying, obviously.

Morrissey doesn't lie if he lied about his opinions he'd probably never get into trouble would he? Maybe if he did lie he'd be safer

Morrissey is one of the few truth teller's left in music. Glad to see people paying respect. The social shaming attempted by music rags is pathetic. It's all programming and people are seeing through it now

Morrissey is one of the few truth teller's left in music. Glad to see people paying respect. The social shaming attempted by music rags is pathetic. It's all programming and people are seeing through it now
Absolutely. Viva Fiona and all free thinkers. :rock:

Jesus. She's paid to spout this shite. How many of you are gonna fall for this shtick? It's absolutely desperate when all you have left is to pay someone to praise you. But then - that's what he's been doing for years. Pathetic.

Jesus. She's paid to spout this shite. How many of you are gonna fall for this shtick? It's absolutely desperate when all you have left is to pay someone to praise you. But then - that's what he's been doing for years. Pathetic.

What’s pathetic is you just hanging around like a bad smell. Move on.

I mean - imagine - if the last bulwark against eternal oblivion is someone you've paid to say you're being brave by spouting racist bollocks. That's it? That's all that's left?

f*** racism, f*** Morrissey and f*** apologists like Dodwell. Shameful.

By the way - who IS she? What is she renowned for? Why should anyone value her scribblings?

I mean - imagine - if the last bulwark against eternal oblivion is someone you've paid to say you're being brave by spouting racist bollocks. That's it? That's all that's left?

By the way - who IS she? What is she renowned for? Why should anyone value her scribblings?

in what way is Morrissey racist?

Look out kids it's the quiz winner who doesn't like Morrissey but can't stop typing bile.......every.....single.......day. Mental health probs much?

WTF?? wtf are you talking about skinny? the last bulwark against eternal oblivion is someone you've paid to etc more etc .....more stupid skinny insanity..:lbf:

skinny is this an illiterate Barnaby post? I mean WTF??:eek:

Who's paying you to spend your life on a "fan" website spewing hate? Please don't say you're giving most of your waking hours for free.

Look out kids it's the quiz winner who doesn't like Morrissey but can't stop typing bile.......every.....single.......day. Mental health probs much?

It's also ridiculous. There's a right-wing press circuit he could have courted if he wanted to. He has or had concerns about sharia law, a lot of people do, I know Peter Tatchell does because we spoke about it.

The world is complex.

O
It's also ridiculous. There's a right-wing press circuit he could have courted if he wanted to. He has or had concerns about sharia law, a lot of people do, I know Peter Tatchell does because we spoke about it.

The world is complex.
Oh yes what lovely company you keep, Peter Tatchell an old geezer who wants to lower age of consent to 14 years of age, sounds charming.

It is also such staged "interviews", that help Morrissey lose the charm he once had. There is something of an isolated leader of a remote island state, who has a servant praising him as god and presenting him as a shining light. But in the background, the empty palace already collapses. Disgusting, even from those who still think such shit is good or still OK.

Last edited:
It is also such staged interviews, that help Morrissey lose the charm he once had. There is something of an isolated leader of a remote island state, who has a servant ask him questions that present him as a shining light. But in the background, the empty palace already collapses. Disgusting, even from those who still think such shit is good or still OK.
He's the Kim Jong-Un of popular music.

O
Oh yes what lovely company you keep, Peter Tatchell an old geezer who wants to lower age of consent to 14 years of age, sounds charming.

So, your homophobia is fine, but Morrissey's comments make him A Bad Person?

Nice double standards you've got there.

It is also such staged "interviews", that help Morrissey lose the charm he once had. There is something of an isolated leader of a remote island state, who has a servant praising hin as god and that present him as a shining light. But in the background, the empty palace already collapses. Disgusting, even from those who still think such shit is good or still OK.

Most interviews are staged. If he had a decent pr you'd never get anything else no matter who he was talking to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tags
fiona dodwell

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom