Fiona Dodwell: "The Mythology Of Morrissey" (November 16, 2021)

1_-bn_g7an3bTH58zeZszaQA.jpeg

The evolution of an artist who became the most misunderstood and misrepresented icon of our time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it will be a superb album but will be a commercial flop

I think if the album were that great, it would have been out by now. It's been almost 6 months and no news of a label. I feel almost angry at him for sabotaging himself repeatedly.

I think if the album were that great, it would have been out by now. It's been almost 6 months and no news of a label. I feel almost angry at him for sabotaging himself repeatedly.
This could take as long to be released as world peace 😩

I'm starting to suspect 'Bonfire' may not actually be released at all. It wouldn't be the first announced Morrissey album to fail to merge - the same thing happened to the original version of 'Bona Drag'. Fingers crossed some or all of the tracks eventually emerge as B-sides or bonus tracks on whatever album he's currently working on with Alain.

We’ve got the A$AP album to come Baz. He’s a saint, so I don’t anticipate any delays/problems/controversies with that release.
Bonfire......

No release....

I ain’t counting on this ASAP
To do anything in Moz land ,
What could ever be gained from it?
An olde geezer with a vocal on
Some modern trash???
Stick your money on Manchester United to win the league Hovis,
You’ve more chance

RE our Frank....
He’s just a darling ain’t he 😇😇
He is the devil undisguised, I heard them say. As for my anticipation of new concerts or Bonfire, these are at an all-time low. I'd like to say it's not. My panties haven't been wet for a long time, weeks before a release.

He is the devil undisguised, I heard them say. As for my anticipation of new concerts or Bonfire, these are at an all-time low. I'd like to say it's not. My panties haven't been wet for a long time, weeks before a release.
Might I ask when your underwear was last made moist, through the anticipation of a Morrissey release? I’ve not experienced it since 2006. The subsequent 7 years, of poor material, scarred me. I’ve really enjoyed three of the last four studio releases (only LIHS seems poor), but I can’t deny I still have low expectations for Bonfire (once burnt twice shy, perhaps?); particularly as I’ve zero love for The Red Hot Chilli Peppers’ sound.

And after two great studio efforts on the trot, we’re overdue a shit one.

I'm starting to suspect 'Bonfire' may not actually be released at all. It wouldn't be the first announced Morrissey album to fail to merge - the same thing happened to the original version of 'Bona Drag'. Fingers crossed some or all of the tracks eventually emerge as B-sides or bonus tracks on whatever album he's currently working on with Alain.
The reason for the original Bona Drag's nonappearance were because of Morrissey's depression and him being uncertain if the sessions were good enough. He had a record contract then. But Bonfire hasn't been released, because Morrissey hasn't been able to get a contract. If the companies are not interested in Bonfire, why should they care for the album he might record after that? The name Alain Whyte means nothing to them. Only working with Johnny Marr would be a gamechanger, but that won't happen.

If the companies are not interested in Bonfire, why should they care for the album he might record after that? The name Alain Whyte means nothing to them. Only working with Johnny Marr would be a gamechanger, but that won't happen.
Agreed and I wonder if the issue is that they don't like Bonfire or is it more a reluctance to work with Morrissey based on reputation and/or unable to meet his financial demands? When he said Bonfire was available to the "highest or lowest" bidder that was obviously said in jest.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's just not the right moment.

I wouldn't want to sell a song about the Manchester bomb in this climate.

Skipping to the Alain & leaving Bonfire for later would be more appealing.

Agreed and I wonder if the issue is that they don't like Bonfire or is it more a reluctance to work with Morrissey based on reputation and/or unable to meet his financial demands? When he said Bonfire was available to the "highest or lowest" bidder that was obviously said in jest.

I have to think it is both. That Bonfire is not good enough to overcome his reputation. And he probably will not budge on the title or the cover. Labels will not be able to recoup on their investment or damage to their brand.

I’m not sure anyone knows Morrissey’s commercial value at the moment.

Morrissey himself doubtless overestimates his commercial worth, whilst record companies likely see him as a potential liability—they certainly wouldn’t be able to celebrate his signing with jittery shareholders.

Given there is the A$AP record coming out, which will likely make Morrissey’s marketability clearer, I expect all negotiations would hit an impasse fairly rapidly at the moment. Why would either party change their position right now, when added clarity will likely come within the next few months?

I’m not sure anyone knows Morrissey’s commercial value at the moment.

Morrissey himself doubtless overestimates his commercial worth, whilst record companies likely see him as a potential liability—they certainly wouldn’t be able to celebrate his signing with jittery shareholders.

Given there is the A$AP record coming out, which will likely make Morrissey’s marketability clearer, I expect all negotiations would hit an impasse fairly rapidly at the moment. Why would either party change their position right now, when added clarity will likely come within the next few months?

I think a record company would want him to behave - sort out his social, appear in the media like a normal person.

Or conduct himself like he's dead. Say nothing, let them flog it.

You just can't set up anything if he won't show or on the day it hits, Central has decided to post 500 photoshopped pictures of dead people & a cat doing a Hitler impersonation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a record company would want him to behave - sort out his social, appear in the media like a normal person.

Or conduct himself like he's dead
. Say nothing, let them flog it.

is there a difference? no.

:cool:

Bonfire will be released eventually, to a world that doesn’t want a Morrissey album, not that that’s ever stopped him before.

:cool:

:)

Bonfire will be released shortly when Moz gets paid.(y)
all at once not in 4-5 installments:lbf:

it will top the charts in reality not in the imaginary realm.⚒️

:hammer:

I have to think it is both. That Bonfire is not good enough to overcome his reputation. And he probably will not budge on the title or the cover. Labels will not be able to recoup on their investment or damage to their brand.
I forgot about that ground breaking cover for Bonfire🤮🤮🤮

:)

Bonfire will be released shortly when Moz gets paid.(y)
all at once not in 4-5 installments:lbf:

it will top the charts in reality not in the imaginary realm.⚒️

:hammer:
It’s official then🙄
From the man in the know 👨‍🎓
Bonfire 🔥
To be released “shortly”
When Moz gets paid 💰💰

Well that’s all the above arguments
Settled peeps about if/when this album gets a release date....

We all now know it’s definitely, absolutely, undisputedly.....

“Shortly”

🥬🥬🥬

Tags
fiona dodwell
Back
Top Bottom