Gerard Way (formerly from My Chemical Romance) wearing Morrissey t-shirt

Mike writes:

This is on his website so I don't know the photog or if it's a selfie. Way cool though.

gerardway/ Instagram:
Mozcradle (gift from the Moz camp)

gerard_way.jpg

I paid $50 for the black hoody and brought it to England to wear at the London shows and in Born Mouth freezing on the "beach"and all the Brits were snickering at me when I wore it all the time because they were wearing GAP, Hollister, New York Yankees, Chicago Bulls, and Planet Hollywood Orlando hoodys. Anonymous-

I paid $50 for the black hoody and brought it to England to wear at the London shows and in Born Mouth freezing on the "beach"and all the Brits were snickering at me when I wore it all the time because they were wearing GAP, Hollister, New York Yankees, Chicago Bulls, and Planet Hollywood Orlando hoodys. Anonymous-

They were laughing at you, not what you were wearing. You c*** xx

omg My chemical romance, Fall out Boy, Panic at the Disco and all those kinds of bands were awful
Embarrassingly awful over earnest garbage music for teenagers to scratch their arms with thumbtacks to. The band names were hilariously bad as well.

Embarrassingly awful over earnest garbage music for teenagers to scratch their arms with thumbtacks to. The band names were hilariously bad as well.

I'm guess you're joking but maybe not. Chemical romance I think is a line from some hunter s Thompson thing while fall out boy is a Simpsons reference. Panic claim to be inspired by the painting but it seems an obvious smith reference. The panic guys story is also really sad as I think there first albums is about watching his father die in hospice and it really shows. A lot of the bands these guys spawned were terrible but these three are pretty ace mucialy and lyrically. I'll throw in tacking back Sunday as well. New again was great

They were laughing at you, not what you were wearing. You c*** xx

Never understood this T--shirt. Why does it read MORRISSEY - SALFORD. Manchester and Salford are two different cities divided by the River Irwell. Morrissey - Hulme, Morrissey - Stretford or even Morrissey - Bowdon would have been more appropriate/accurate. At least do a bit of research on the old internet to get the facts right. Just because Morrissey and those other Smiths stood outside Salford Lads Club and wandered around Ordsall for a day with Stephen Wright doesn't make them Salfordians. They were all South Manchester boys - Stretford, Wythenshawe, Sale, that kind of territory. We've all read the relevant books....haven't we......haven't we. Glad I got that off my chest. Now I can quiff my hair and cycle to the mill to weave that cloth for Mr Arkwright.

Never understood this T--shirt. Why does it read MORRISSEY - SALFORD. Manchester and Salford are two different cities divided by the River Irwell. Morrissey - Hulme, Morrissey - Stretford or even Morrissey - Bowdon would have been more appropriate/accurate. At least do a bit of research on the old internet to get the facts right. Just because Morrissey and those other Smiths stood outside Salford Lads Club and wandered around Ordsall for a day with Stephen Wright doesn't make them Salfordians. They were all South Manchester boys - Stretford, Wythenshawe, Sale, that kind of territory. We've all read the relevant books....haven't we......haven't we. Glad I got that off my chest. Now I can quiff my hair and cycle to the mill to weave that cloth for Mr Arkwright.

Probably just an association. Doubt that its supposed to be representative of where he was born

I'm guess you're joking but maybe not. Chemical romance I think is a line from some hunter s Thompson thing while fall out boy is a Simpsons reference. Panic claim to be inspired by the painting but it seems an obvious smith reference. The panic guys story is also really sad as I think there first albums is about watching his father die in hospice and it really shows. A lot of the bands these guys spawned were terrible but these three are pretty ace mucialy and lyrically. I'll throw in tacking back Sunday as well. New again was great

I know the references and where they are taken from, but do the things a person likes and chooses to borrow from make them cool or good?
By the way, my emo/screamo/acne creamo band will be playing the Viper room next tuesday. We're called Stupid Sexy Flanders, and we're a melodic four piece
heavily influenced by hair spray, bright colors, jelly bracelets and Hot Topic clearance bin sales.

I know the references and where they are taken from, but do the things a person likes and chooses to borrow from make them cool or good?
By the way, my emo/screamo/acne creamo band will be playing the Viper room next tuesday. We're called Stupid Sexy Flanders, and we're a melodic four piece
heavily influenced by hair spray, bright colors, jelly bracelets and Hot Topic clearance bin sales.

"I know the references and where they are taken from, but do the things a person likes and chooses to borrow from make them cool or good?"

in part yes

Gerard is cool, he has always been a Moz fan. When i was younger i used to listen to My Chemical Romance a lot, i still like their first and second album. He used to write good lyrics when he was in the band and his solo album is different but i enjoyed it, it's a sound from the eighties that i really like. When i was 16 i saw them in Milan and it was my first concert ahah. He has always talked about his love for Morrissey and The Smiths, he also covered Jack The Ripper.

Gerard is cool, he has always been a Moz fan. When i was younger i used to listen to My Chemical Romance a lot, i still like their first and second album. He used to write good lyrics when he was in the band and his solo album is different but i enjoyed it, it's a sound from the eighties that i really like. When i was 16 i saw them in Milan and it was my first concert ahah. He has always talked about his love for Morrissey and The Smiths, he also covered Jack The Ripper.

yeah his solo album is full of brit pop sounds from the cure to suede to the stone roses etc. i personally really really enjoyed it along with like you said the first to chemical romance albums but that was before his drug binge and fame pressure etc. they lost it with the black parade imo. hes a cool down to earth guy in many ways and is from an unfun part of jersey which isnt to far from where im living now. wed travel from maryland to see some jersey bands back in the day though now im bored and to old for those basement shows. his comic/graphic novel also won a few awards i think which is neat to see as he loves the genre even if im not personally a huge fan of the book. i also think it cool that there first album was originally released ion eyeball by his friend geoff indie legend and thursday/no devotion frontman. they both helped each other out in terms of success and exposure which is pretty cool. i mean eyeball records, its, or was, a very weird label full of post punk and what you might at that time call post hardcore

yeah his solo album is full of brit pop sounds from the cure to suede to the stone roses etc. i personally really really enjoyed it along with like you said the first to chemical romance albums but that was before his drug binge and fame pressure etc. they lost it with the black parade imo. hes a cool down to earth guy in many ways and is from an unfun part of jersey which isnt to far from where im living now. wed travel from maryland to see some jersey bands back in the day though now im bored and to old for those basement shows. his comic/graphic novel also won a few awards i think which is neat to see as he loves the genre even if im not personally a huge fan of the book. i also think it cool that there first album was originally released ion eyeball by his friend geoff indie legend and thursday/no devotion frontman. they both helped each other out in terms of success and exposure which is pretty cool. i mean eyeball records, its, or was, a very weird label full of post punk and what you might at that time call post hardcore
I'm happy to see there is someone who really knows his career and doesn't judge him in a bad way! I agree with you, people think Black Parade is the best MCR album, but my opinion is different. Their first record is very punk and i've always perceived it as a genuine work, it contains my favorite songs from the band, such as Demolition Lovers and Drowning Lessons. I love their first music videos, the one from Honey is my favorite! With The Black Parade i felt like they changed their style, they got more famous and labeled as "emo" and "fake". It's not a bad record, but not my favorite. Yes, Gerard is also a good comic book writer from what i could see, but i must admit i never read his works! I have been a fan of Gerard and the band for a very long time and i can say that he's very down to earth, not fake at all, maybe a weak and sensitive guy who made wrong decisions(drugs, etc.)but he really believed in My Chemical Romance...As you mentioned he comes from a dangerous part of Jersey and his childhood wasn't great. Now he has a family and i'm very happy for him and what he has accomplished as a musician. When i listened to his music in my teenage years i totally identified myself with his personality. I can see the influence of Morrissey/The Smiths in his lyrics sometimes. Yes, i can see him being a Moz fan, totally.

Sorry to say... Not much has been as great as the first two Suede records. No band since has touched that level of craft,richness,sensitivity,romance,and depth since. I mean as far as pop-post-punk-rock is concerned.

Though I do like the over all sound that comes across on the 2nd and 3rd Pumpkin records, Which have just of recent grown on me.

Sorry to say... Not much has been as great as the first two Suede records. No band since has touched that level of craft,richness,sensitivity,romance,and depth since. I mean as far as pop-post-punk-rock is concerned.

Though I do like the over all sound that comes across on the 2nd and 3rd Pumpkin records, Which have just of recent grown on me.

try out adore as well, its not really the synth heavy album that people make it out to be. first albums and the first b-side album are also pretty good as far as pumpkin stuff goes though i find it hit and miss mostly i think because of track pacing. as to suede brett and bernard are two of my favorite musicians of all time and agree that the the first two suede albums are almost perfect imo (bernard is just consistently amazing minus his two solo albums though ive quite liked all of bretts solo albums with slow attack being my fav) though i dont know what id classify them as. classic alt rock maybe. they dont really feel comparable to chemical romance or there scene to me, only perhaps thematically in some spots but thats no matter to my enjoyment of both groups. i think i was maybe nineteen when i bought the first chemical romance album i brought you my bullets etc and then got the first thursday album after i heard cross out the eys (couldnt resist buying after that) even though that song wasnt on it. i really liked the wes anderson rushmore themed video chemical romance did also. that caught my attention. as to the bands they, all of them such as saves the day taking back sunday fall out boy chemical romance kinda annoy me as its just so different sounding now. when the hair metal came into it i couldnt even pretend to care anbout almost all of them. the only real standout with substance and style after them were panic imo. i did really like where glassjaw went though i was super sad to see that band drop out of existence as worship and tribute was just excellent and i still find myself sing ape dos mos all the time but head automatica was pretty amazing in a different way. both there first album and panics first album both feature dan the automator for a fun fact

"I know the references and where they are taken from, but do the things a person likes and chooses to borrow from make them cool or good?"

in part yes

Is cool just something you are, or something you do?
(I'm heavily leaning to the former.)

Is cool just something you are, or something you do?
(I'm heavily leaning to the former.)

Well cool is just so vauge and inturperatable but I'd say your actions define who you are so choices do matter but its a chicken and egg situation and not worth worrying about. I mean its not like I love those bands just for there personal taste in music and literature. Its not hard at all to argue why fall out boy is objectively excellent unless you wanna get really abstract about taste. Some of Pete's lyrics just floor me as they are so sincere and clever on top. I love how panic divided there album between electro on the first half and old timey music on the second or all of the morality conflicts he felt being raised as a morman and sang about clearly. The calling out of fake emotional bands and there lyrics about slitting wrist sang like a sermon from a pulpit etc were I think very relevant to today's culture. When he left after the second album I was sad as he wrote all of the songs and all of the lyrics even though he wasn't the singer. I think that's when they were touring with bloc party

Back
Top Bottom