Morrissey Central "Gold." (April 29, 2023)

Unknown-2.jpeg

The Smiths single 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' has certified as Gold in the UK, selling over 400,000 copies.

0be15b93-37f3-466a-b522-f567b4bd610f.jpg

Great when he says: I was looking for a job and I got a job and heaven knows now how miserable I am !!! haa great Moz!!!!

Has Morrissey or the Smiths ever had anything go platinum?

(Also for any resident grammarians, for the above sentence is it 'has' or 'have'??)
Yes, There Is A Light and TCM have gone platinum.

Smiths albums TQID, Hatful and the three Best Of’s.

Morrissey only YATQ, so far ;)

Streaming has changed the charts beyond recognition but they're still (in the UK at least) the best measure we've got of which songs are being listened to the most. (You could argue that in the old days, physical records were a more accurate unit of measurement, but we never knew how many times some of those pieces of vinyl were listened to, at home - but also, maybe that doesn't matter!)

Although when you look at something like the chart history of "As It Was" by Harry Styles (see below), I'm not sure if anything makes sense any more?

View attachment 90733
Streaming doesn't pay the bills though does it? It won't pay for his new Omega watch.

Streaming doesn't pay the bills though does it? It won't pay for his new Omega watch.
it does,someone worked out that M picked up a few hundred thousand pounds last year based on streaming,
now that would get you a few omegas

Morrissey's lyrics and the Peanuts cartoon are a great fit. I loved Snoopy when I was a kid - I remember a pencil case with his favourite saying 'Good grief' being one of my treasured possessions. Later, when doing family history research, I found that a relative of mine (that I never met) was attached to anti-aircraft duties on a bridge over the River Rhine when the Charlie Brown creator, Charles M. Schulz, crossed over with thousands of other troops into Germany (at Bad Godesburg, I think) as part of the US 20th Armored Infantry Division in April 1944. Schulz's father was of German heritage.
Richey edwards had a dog named snoopy!

Well, if 400,000 copies are sold, then it doesn't really matter how they were sold – stream or marketplace. The money is still paid. As noted earlier, now at least you can track the dynamics in the number of plays than on a physical disc.

For me, HKIMN is one of the most resonant songs of The Smiths, as well as "I Know It's Over" – the vocals sound strained in places. But I attribute everything to the nature of the lyrics, so it even 'paints' them.

And they aren't going anywhere. They don't need to be repressed.

Ridiculous. The kids are into vinyl now and what better records to have than these? Morrissey could probably use the money.

Not sure what you mean. I'd like to have the 12" new. I don't have any Smiths 12". What's so wrong about that?
Absolutely, re released on nice heavy vinyl, nice glossy sleeves with all the original beautiful artwork. Maybe one day....

Well, if 400,000 copies are sold, then it doesn't really matter how they were sold – stream or marketplace. The money is still paid. As noted earlier, now at least you can track the dynamics in the number of plays than on a physical disc.
Do you know if watching something on YouTube counts as a stream? If it does, money isn't really being paid although you are obviously exposed to adverts.

I love the whole Kill Uncle album Gordy, much maligned but has lots of beautiful moments, still a joy to listen to
Daniel,

Absolutely agree with your opinion! I also really like Kill Uncle, it turned out to be light, playful, but at the same time original in sound, in relation to previous albums. We can say that with this album, Moz once again proved that "because you can do (but only if you want to)".

When I want to cheer myself up, I just turn on KU – and already on the second verse of "Our Frank" I want to live, sing and fool around a little. Of course, Moz's songs is a delight, but sometimes you want light and melodic music, and KU is perfect for that. I like Moz's vocals on this album, here he became even softer and more plastic than on Viva Hate and Bona Drag.

Do you know if watching something on YouTube counts as a stream? If it does, money isn't really being paid although you are obviously exposed to adverts.
Mike,

By "The money is still paid" I meant that this process is happening in real time, and we don't know exactly how many more people bought this record after the single was awarded the "Gold" status.

I don’t know how effective YouTube streams are now for the performers themselves, but after all, someone subscribes to a premium subscription to get rid of intrusive ads for comfortable viewing, for example, a fresh live.

Daniel,

Absolutely agree with your opinion! I also really like Kill Uncle, it turned out to be light, playful, but at the same time original in sound, in relation to previous albums. We can say that with this album, Moz once again proved that "because you can do (but only if you want to)".

When I want to cheer myself up, I just turn on KU – and already on the second verse of "Our Frank" I want to live, sing and fool around a little. Of course, Moz's songs is a delight, but sometimes you want light and melodic music, and KU is perfect for that. I like Moz's vocals on this album, here he became even softer and more plastic than on Viva Hate and Bona Drag.
Spot on! Light and playful. Released at a time when crappy dance music and the remnants of baggy were still everywhere.
It always sounded out of place, like it was beamed in from another time.
Which makes it all the more great.
One of my favourite sleeves too.

I love the whole Kill Uncle album Gordy, much maligned but has lots of beautiful moments, still a joy to listen to
yip dan, king leer is one of my favourite songs.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom