'Hang The Dj: The Very Best Of' - tracklist

I'm at loss for words. This compilation is unnecessary.

I will pick it up depending on the mastering levels and the mixes that are used. Marr criticized Very Best of, but there are a few mixes where the instrument levels were altered that actually improve some of the songs in terms of freshness.

Wow--"Jeane"? And a CD-source version of the "Handsome Devil" live b-side (hitherto only available in CD form on that French Handsome Devils EP)? And the live version of "Meat Is Murder", which is far superior to the studio one? Sign me up.

That second disc is quite impressive. If this is digitally remastered, I'm sold.

I'm guessing the "Pretty Girls" is the Tate one, given it's place on the disc.

Last edited:
Sadly Morrissey didn't involve the selection of the songs, better than my expectations.

Thanks Danny for posting the link. :)

exactly,i would have guessed the setlist of the first disc as that is the typical "best of" track listing,at least they tried with the second one,there are a few surprises.

WHAT? NO RUBBER RING? madness!

I'm definitely going to buy it for the second CD. I'm glad its not just another copy of whats gone several times before. (even if it will - i guess- be a couple of extra quid for the 'new' stuff)

You know, because I'm sad, I've put together a playlist of that first disc, and even with the single edits of "Last Night I Dreamt ..." and "That Joke ...", it's still longer than 1 hour 20. Must be some other edited tracks in there ...

You know, because I'm sad, I've put together a playlist of that first disc, and even with the single edits of "Last Night I Dreamt ..." and "That Joke ...", it's still longer than 1 hour 20. Must be some other edited tracks in there ...

They've probably used the single edits for Barbarism, How Soon Is Now, Headmaster and Ask too.

Why would anyone buy this?

i won`t buy it,this compilation is nonsense,we all ready have this songs,besides the title is awful HANG THE DJ......what the hell is that?,i hate when people say hang the dj instead of panic..... :mad:

Thing is, this looks like it's easily the best Smiths compilation we've had so far - a first disc that's a great intro for the casual listener, and a second disc full of rarities for the fans (half the tracks on that disc aren't available on any other album release).

Problem is, we've already had three Best Of releases and a Singles release before now!

Oh well. I'm getting it for the second disc. It'll just be interesting to see what the remastering job will be like, as I'm sure there'll be one. The remastering of the Very Best Of was quite hit-and-miss - some sounded better, some a lot worse ("Stop Me" sounded dreadful).

There was a story a while ago that they were planning to put out a compilation like this as a precurser to the fabled box-set, with Johnny Marr involved with the remastering. With a bit of luck, that's exactly what this is.

Ok, I admit, the selection does seem much better than expected, namely the second disc. However for those who buy all their stuff digitally, don't be too surprised if a certain online store denies you selecting any of the rarities unless you buy the whole album.

I was wondering why all of a sudden their back catalogue disappeared.

The other thing about this release it that it shows up the recent Morrissey "Greatest Hits" release a bit. Just imagine if that had been available with a second disc, with "Lost", "The Edges Are No Longer Parallel", "I Can Have Both", "Ganglord", "My Dearest Love", etc. on it. I'm sure it would have been a lot more temting for fans.

Back
Top Bottom