'Hang The Dj: The Very Best Of' - tracklist

yeah really..this statement was posted on TTY back in August..

"It is understood that Warner Music in London are releasing a Smiths Greatest Hits album in the final quarter of 2008. This release is without Morrissey's approval or involvement."

yeah really..this statement was posted on TTY back in August..

"It is understood that Warner Music in London are releasing a Smiths Greatest Hits album in the final quarter of 2008. This release is without Morrissey's approval or involvement."

Once again, that was August - we're nearly in October. And the title of the album has changed since Morrissey's statement.

Hmmmm

Oh well, someone posted both here and mainpage that recently he saw Morrissey and Johnny in a pub in Manchester.

Pity true-to-you hasn't published follow up info regarding the compilations.

Re: Hmmmm

Oh well, someone posted both here and mainpage that recently he saw Morrissey and Johnny in a pub in Manchester.

Pity true-to-you hasn't published follow up info regarding the compilations.

a pub? lol what a sight that would be. im guessing they exchange faxes or email :D

as a summary...what does one get by obtaining the 2 CD set that one doesn't have if they already own all "official" releases (studio albums, compilations such as Bombs, Hatful, World, etc)?
I never bought those post Smiths, best ofs.

Another thing...combining this release with the "Joyce receives all of Morrissey's royalties", debate/controversy....would Morrissey actually involve himself in the project in any way if he were to not get his share? If he doesn't why bother?

as a summary...what does one get by obtaining the 2 CD set that one doesn't have if they already own all "official" releases (studio albums, compilations such as Bombs, Hatful, World, etc)?

The single edits of "Barbarism Begins at Home" and "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me", "Jeane", the original live "Handsome Devil" recording, the New York version of "This Charming Man", "Wonderful Woman", a live version of "Meat is Murder", the Troy Tate version of "Pretty Girls Make Graves", and "What's the World". None of them are available on official album releases.

And all of them here apparently remastered by Johnny, along with a shed-load of other songs.

This is, quite comfortably, the best "Best Of" release for The Smiths, and it's also better than any "Best Of" Morrissey has ever come out with. Compare it to this year's joke of a Greatest Hits. Nine songs which are not available on any albums, a couple which (as far as I know) have never been oficially released on CD, and a digital remaster overseen by Johnny Marr.

This one is genuinely worth the purchase.

Another thing...combining this release with the "Joyce receives all of Morrissey's royalties", debate/controversy....would Morrissey actually involve himself in the project in any way if he were to not get his share? If he doesn't why bother?

You're trying to work out MozLogic. Therein lies madness. ;)

Edit:

Another report, indicating that the information on Morrissey and Marr's involvement comes directly from Rhino - it isn't the NME making it up.

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/smiths-compilation-due

Last edited:
They aren't remastered by Johnny. Remastering is a specific skill. The remastering was OK'd by him.

They aren't remastered by Johnny. Remastering is a specific skill. The remastering was OK'd by him.

Well, it equates to the same thing. The remastering on the Very Best Of was dodgy to say the least ("Stop Me ..." and "I Started Something ..." sound terrible), and Marr clearly wasn't happy with it.

The fact that he's signed off on this one is very exciting.

i still prefer the original title, "hang the dj" however it does have a good track list

The single edits of "Barbarism Begins at Home" and "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me", "Jeane", the original live "Handsome Devil" recording, the New York version of "This Charming Man", "Wonderful Woman", a live version of "Meat is Murder", the Troy Tate version of "Pretty Girls Make Graves", and "What's the World". None of them are available on official album releases.

And all of them here apparently remastered by Johnny, along with a shed-load of other songs.

This is, quite comfortably, the best "Best Of" release for The Smiths, and it's also better than any "Best Of" Morrissey has ever come out with. Compare it to this year's joke of a Greatest Hits. Nine songs which are not available on any albums, a couple which (as far as I know) have never been oficially released on CD, and a digital remaster overseen by Johnny Marr.

This one is genuinely worth the purchase.

You're trying to work out MozLogic. Therein lies madness. ;)

Edit:

Another report, indicating that the information on Morrissey and Marr's involvement comes directly from Rhino - it isn't the NME making it up.

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/smiths-compilation-due

I'll torre.... I mean purchase it.

Back
Top Bottom