Happiest Song?

lilybett

Pheobe W Caulfield
We sound like the unbelievers just talking about the songs in the context of depression and sadness

Some of them are funny or uplifting or whatever.

I'll have a go!:

Sister, I'm A Poet
Irish Blood, English Heart. (Well. It doesn't make me happy - but it gets me fired-up!)
Vicar In A Tutu
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
Ask

Very good. I've always thought that Break Up the Family was sort of upbeat in its own way. Others:
Our Frank
Pregnant for the Last Time
Black Eyed Susan
The Loop
I Will See You...

I'd say life assuring (or feel good) Smiths and Morrissey songs:

Cemetary Gates
Rubber Ring
Accept Yourself
You're The One For Me, Fatty
Sing Your Life
Tomorrow
Now My Heart Is Full
Alma Matters
Ammunition
Let Me Kiss You
Life Is A Pigsty
At Last I Am Born

Our Frank
Pregnant for the Last Time

Aha! Yes. 'Our Frank' is funny

Erm also This Charming Man. Who doesn't associate that with lurching round the dancefloor of their local indie discoteque?
Is It Really So Strange?

You're The One For Me, Fatty

I am such an idiot. You're The One For Me, Fatty is easily in my top 5 solo songs ever. I cannot listen to this one and feel grumpy :D

Good topic!

The songs that makes me smile:

Sing your life
Sister I'm a poet
You're the one for me fatty
Some girls are bigger than others
We hate it when our friends become succesfull
Tomorrow

Well Tomorrow is very special, because it makes me happy and sad at the same time. But generally it's a good feeling. Still my favorite song.

Well, I've just chosen You're The One For Me, Fatty as my wedding song, and I also think Our Frank, Suedehead, Frankly Mr Shankly and I started Something I couldn't Finish are upbeat. Well, they make me happy anyway.

Good topic!

Some girls are bigger than others

Yes! "As Anthony said to Cleopatra, as he opened a crate of ale..." :D

I converted a uni friend to The Smiffs based on this song. We'd been in my room, just smoking and listening to The Smiths (doesn't get much better than that!) and he was visibly suprised to hear Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others straight after stuff like I Know It's Over and There Is A Light - this is when he realised Morrissey doesn't just do suicide soundtracks. Or something.

I'd say life assuring (or feel good) Smiths and Morrissey songs:
Life Is A Pigsty
At Last I Am Born

Agree about At last I am born - quite an uplifting song, I think it is easily the happiest.

But Pigsty??

Can you please stop time?
can you stop the pain?
I feel too cold
and now I feel too warm again
can you stop this pain?
can you stop this pain?

Even falling in love doesn't make it more life assuring. He also doesn't look particularly "happy" when he sings it.

There are few great dancing songs, but I'd call them ironic, rather than happy.

We sound like the unbelievers just talking about the songs in the context of depression and sadness

Some of them are funny or uplifting or whatever.

I'll have a go!:

Sister, I'm A Poet
Irish Blood, English Heart. (Well. It doesn't make me happy - but it gets me fired-up!)
Vicar In A Tutu
Shoplifters Of The World Unite
Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice
Ask
I was going to do this thread :D

Id say Break Up The Family, At Last I Am Born, Sing Your Life, Tony The Pony?, All The Lazy Dykes?, Good Looking Man About Town.

Break Up The Family was the most positive song ive heard him sing.

Pigsty??
...Even falling in love doesn't make it more life assuring. He also doesn't look particularly "happy" when he sings it.

There are few great dancing songs, but I'd call them ironic, rather than happy.

Ahaha I agree. I think he looks more positively pained when he sings it. But this is another of my all-time favourite solo songs. And to each his own interpretation!

Well, yes, about the dancing. Particularly as, when dancing to The Smiths, you feel sort-of complelled to do that awkward, Uncle At A Wedding dance He does ;)

Everydays like Sunday for me .Brings back happy childhood memories of times i spent at the seaside with my old mum

Thanks for your comment, Electric.
I'm aware that not all of you'd agree with Pigsty, but to me it's a song about not being defeted/surrendered by the rejection or denial in general.;)

Well, yes, about the dancing. Particularly as, when dancing to The Smiths, you feel sort-of complelled to do that awkward, Uncle At A Wedding dance He does ;)

After visiting a few Smiths nights, I'd say it's the best dancing I had in years! I'm thinking about making a mix CD of Smiths/Moz dance songs. :D
It will definitely include Barbarism, Sing your life, Vicar in a Tutu, Sister, I'm a Poet, Handsome Devil - that's just from the top of my head! Barbarism is my number one hair-drying song!

Kewpie - obviously everybody has their own personal interpretations of these songs - that's the power of the true art, when you can take it and make it yours. ;)

I'm sad to see that there's seems that noone likes "Sunny", this happy tune, it's name on the cover is even in large yellow letters. To bad that it's so terribly missunderstood.

Yes the ones that always make me start smiling and dancing are:

Sister I'm A poet
First of the gang to die
Don't Make Fun of Daddy's voice
We hate it when our friends become successful
I like you ( that one makes me really happy)
OO and ASK ( I like that one)
Panic
I started something I coulden't finish
Bengali In Platforms

And others I can't think of right now.

Back
Top Bottom