His childhood

Natalie_

First of all, sorry if my english is not good.

I want to ask if he have ever suffered abuses, violence or something similar... songs like Reel around the fountain, The hand that rocks the craddle, Barbarism begins at home, etc... make me wonder.

And you?

I used to be hitted when I was a child...

no, but his parents didnt get on and did divorce. morrissey was very very close to his mother as a child. as a teenager morrissey was to a certain degree addicted to painkillers(for a short period) and later took anti depressants.

i have to say i am not sure if you are legit tho natalie....

Welcome, Natalie.
IMHO Morrissey's songs about abuse and corporal punishment seems not what he actually experienced.
One of the interviews I watched on youtube (Making of Meat Is Murder), he says that he's often seen some teachers hit his school mates and he managed to avoid getting in troubles.
Morrissey wanted to raise the issue because he felt it's inhuman to use violence to punish misbehaving children.

Have you watched a film called "Kes" directed by Ken Loach? The protagonist called Billy is often the subject of the abuse and if you've watched it you'd identify the situation which is similar to the songs Morrissey has written.

I'm from a working-class family and both my parents think that corporal punishment is justifiable and one of the effective ways to punish naughty children. My parents were born in 1930s and their moral value is very conservative and old-fashioned. Both my parents became orphans during the war and didn't have proper childhood.
Unfortunately my parents had no idea how to punish a naughty child without using corporal punishment. Their lack of imagination and compassion made me hate them. Sometimes a child seeks attention and affection from his/her parents, but parents misunderstand and wrongly punish the child.

Nowadays social and moral value is changing and younger generation now realizes that there's another way to punish misbehaving children, but still it's a long way to eliminate child abuse and unnecessary suffering...

Last edited:
Thank you all for responding.

boyvoyeur... what does "legit tho" mean?

Kewpie, I haven't watched Kes (now it's in my list). Thank you so much for your large post.

I was just curious, because Moz describes very well all this thing... In my case my mother is alcoholic and that's all, I've paid for this.

I have read in a interview that as a child, he was beaten a lot at home, with an umbrella...:(

I've never read that and I've read most interview I think. I doubt he'd be as nice about his parents as he is if it was true. Can you give us a link?

I have also read, watched and heard many interviews and my only guess at this is... it's morrissey's odd sense of humour.

Last edited:
I've never read that and I've read most interview I think. I doubt he'd be as nice about his parents as he is if it was true. Can you give us a link?
It was in an interview he gave to the French mag "les Inrockuptibles", in 1995 maybe. I have read that quote in the reissue of all the interviews he gave to that magazine. The reissue was released in may 2006, with the DVD which figures an interview in Rome on january 2006.
I guess it might be papa morrissey who used to punish his son this way, and absolutely not his mother. Why wouldn't that be true? Corporal punishment like this was certainly not seldom at that time...
I don't have the time to try to find a link now, I am sorry.

It was in an interview he gave to the French mag "les Inrockuptibles", in 1995 maybe. I have read that quote in the reissue of all the interviews he gave to that magazine. The reissue was released in may 2006, with the DVD which figures an interview in Rome on january 2006.
I guess it might be papa morrissey who used to punish his son this way, and absolutely not his mother. Why wouldn't that be true? Corporal punishment like this was certainly not seldom at that time...
I don't have the time to try to find a link now, I am sorry.

I don't believe you. And it was seldom at that time. When do you think Morrissey grew up? In Dickension times?

I don't believe you. And it was seldom at that time. When do you think Morrissey grew up? In Dickension times?
You don't believe me? Are you joking? Do you take me for a liar? That is not very nice, Danny.
It was seldom at that time to be beaten? You are very young or what?
I have checked the mag yesterday evening and I have found the interview. It was actually in september 1987, an interview between Morrissey and Christian Fevret from "The inrockuptibles".
The question was:"There is a song which is called:barbary begins at home".Is it a personnal souvenir?"
Morrissey answers: "Yes.As a little child, I was beaten, a lot. With umbrellas, or anything that looked like umbrellas. Disciplin was very strict. The following years were easier. But as a little child, I had no freedom at all."(...)
IT IS TRUE. It is page 26 of the mag. Sorry, I don't have a scanner.

That interview is mentionned on that site, but you can't read it.

http://passionsjustlikemine.com/smiths-m.htm

"September/October 1987 - Les Inrockuptibles #8 (France)
Legendary Morrissey interview done on 8th September 1987 by Christian Ferret. This is where Morrissey officially announced the end of the Smiths. Photos by Andrew Catlin. This was reprinted in at least two anthologies of interviews from Les Inrockuptibles. The first one titled "Le Rock Anglais" published by La Sirène, and the second one at the end of 1996 for the 10th anniversary of the magazine. "

Please don't mind Danny, he clearly never went to finishing school.

I think judging from the quote Morrissey was probably just lying and taking the piss out of the interviewer as he does in practically every interview he gives.

Please don't mind Danny, he clearly never went to finishing school.

I think judging from the quote Morrissey was probably just lying and taking the piss out of the interviewer as he does in practically every interview he gives.

:) :) :) :)

Back
Top Bottom