How and when have you discovered Smiths/Moz music?

It was when I was working during a vacation in the begining of 2004 when I heard a cover of "We hate it when our friends become succesfull" on P3 and I really liked the lyrics. Shortly thereafter I heard "Alsatian Cousin" (don't remember how or when) and then YATQ was released and I got it for my birthday, I didn't like it so much however. Then I friend asked me, because of listening to Moz, which the Smiths song that was my favorite, I was quite surprised and had never heard of the Smiths so I downloaded "Meat Is Murder", which was particulary appealing for me as a vegetarian, and that's the way it goes.

In my teens, I´d heard of and read about the Smiths and Morrissey for a couple of years. I had never actually heard the music though, but for some reason I just assumed their music was boring and something I would not like (I do that sometimes to not get a meltdown from all the music there is that I just can't comprehend. So much music, so little time...). I thought it was some hidious guitar-based crap. Then, in 1994, when I was 19, I saw a video on MTV with an enchanting man walking back and forth in a dark corridor with lamps hanging from the celing, singing in the most sensual way. MAN, was he a sight for my teenage-hormon-eyes!!

The song was of course The more you ignore me, the closer I get. At that time I didn´t have that much money for myself and I've always been a loser when it comes to saving up for things, som I never bought much music (bought the single though), but when I moved away from home to study and got an income I started to buy records. The first ones I got were Vauxhall and I, Southpaw grammar and Bona drag. The more I heard, the more I loved it!

Still, I had doubts about The Smiths. I went on thinking that they were uninteresting (silly, lazy me!) until a friend forced the 2 best of-cds on me in 1997 and well, it did'nt take long til I loved them as much.

And here I am today, a devoted member of the Moz cult! :D

Although, despite being a fan for quite some time, I went to my first concert this summer in Karlstad, Sweden (never been much of a "swetty crowd full of screaming lunatics"-person... OR a "sitting 30 meters from the stage seeing nothing"-person either...) and it was sort of a strange experience to actually see him for real. It was like "Wow, the man really exists"... :D

I have been into rockabilly all my life and was actively involved in the London rockabilly scene throughout the 80s.

One Saturday I was at the afternoon rockabilly show at Dingwalls and a friend of mine called Gavin said that his friend Spencer was in a band with Morrissey. He said 'you know, that pop star'.

Later I heard that Gaz from the Frantic Flintstones was in it as well, but I wasn't really interested in this Morrissey person and I soon forgot about it.

In 91 I was in my mum's living room and TOTP was on, I heard a double bass, looked up and there is Boz Boorer on TV! I thought 'whats this?'

It took me ages to find out who that band was. So, I went to the library and got some Moz CDs out.

15 years later, I have every piece of Vinyl/CD there is : >

:D

I was watching FUSE and " Steven's Untitled Rock show" was on and there was a band, I think it was " Senses Fail" But they asked what band inspired them and they said The Smiths so Steven was like.. let's play a Video by the Smiths and it was " Girlfriend In a Coma" .. A few months later I suddenly rememberd and downloaded a bunch of their music and loved them and went on a Smith's binge then quickly slid into the place with Moz and now i'm a avid fan of Morrissey for 6 months.. ( I know i'm a minor, but I am devoted)

For months, I had been hearing about Morrissey and The Smiths, and how fabulous they are/were, and I finally got to the point where I figured that I should give The Smiths a try.

My mother is a member of one of those mail-order music clubs, so, one month, she reminded me that she had a lot of points for CDs, and told me to pick out a bunch that I'd like. One of the CDs that I chose was "Singles".

No lie, it was about a day or two before my copy of "Singles" came in the mail, and I was feeling just horrible about myself (relationship troubles). VH1 Classic was on, so I just sat in front of the TV (something that I rarely, if ever, do) and vegged. The very next video to come on was a live version of Morrissey performing "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out". I was absolutely enthralled. Sorry to sound cliche, but it spoke to my soul.

When I got "Singles" in the mail, I just about wore it out, I listened to it constantly.

I first saw The Smiths performing 'This charming man' on totp way back in 1983. As I lived in a small Belgian coastal town, I had to order a copy of the single at the local record store.It ended up being the 12inch New York mix which became a collectors item later on. Since then Morrissey has always been a part of my life.

I'll take an unorthodox approach to explain how I became a smiths/moz fan or rather why I was always meant to be a smith/moz fan, but just never knew it.

Now, I know there has been a bit too much "poetry" on this site recently, but this is just to illustrate the story, promise this is the first and the last time I do it. You can't even call it "poetry", but it just perfectly illustrates the depth of my despair, back then.

I was going through the old stuff today, getting ready for the move and came across the old notes, that I've forgotten about. They are from the times when I was badly depressed, which is of course over now.

I went through some pretty shitty times with a constant feeling of alienation and isolation, but I remember one particular night (which was not much different from the other nights), when I went to a club on my own, spent some time there wondering who are all these people and what the hell am I doing there, where I just don't belong and went home alone. On my way home, in a cab I've got these lines stuck in my head so I wrote a short so-called "poem" (Black cab) and then a few more when I got home. Not that I was ever writing poetry, but I guess that night it was really overwhelming. I was crying and I wanted to die.

Black Cab
I'm rushing up and down the streets
Going to the places,
Where nobody is waiting for me.
In my black bubble
I'm always alone.
I stop at the traffic lights
In the black cab next to me
Two men are kissing
They are happy, they've got each other.
Green light takes them back
Our ways will never cross again.

Ghost
Nothing has changed when I died:
Planes are still spinning in the skies,
Red buses and black cabs,
People, thousands of them
They walk, drive, fly through me
And they don't see me
That's alright - I'm dead.

People on the streets,
They've got dead faces
Their eyes are empty
They look through me
I walk with them
I take opposite direction
It doesn't make a difference
For them I'm dead

When I died people were wondering
Why? What happened?
She was young and beautiful
She lived in a wonderful city
She bought all the shoes
and dresses she wanted
How could she ever have
Any reasons to be unhappy?

I lie here in my coffin
young and beautiful
I have my best dress and shoes on
There is no reason to be unhappy
I died long time ago
I was dead anyway.

About 6 months later I went to my first Morrissey gig, as somebody who casually likes a few songs. And then he was singing "How Soon Is Now?" And when he got to the verse about the club I was almost paralyzed, I couldn't believe it. How did he know?!
That song was just my life in a nutshell.

I heard HSIN before, but never really payed attention to the lyrics (English is not my first language) until I heard it live.

Hearing that song changed my life. Not original, I know, but it's true. Of course later I discovered that there were many other songs about me, and that are places where I belong and people going through the same things, but that song will always be the one for me. And as many other people, I would be forever grateful to him for saying those things and showing me that I was not alone.

There are some really nice stories on here, very interesting.

I got into Morrissey in quite an odd way- through reading ‘The Wrong Boy’ by Willy Russell! (Very much recommended btw). It’s a lovely book anyway, but it’s constructed through letters written to Morrissey, someone who I knew very little about, I just had a vague image of his existence- a jumble of odd snippets I’d heard about him. I didn’t even know he was the singer in the Smiths, eep. Anyway, these references to him throughout the book just got me so curious, there’s a part where a few Smiths songs are mentioned and I was totally intrigued to hear Girlfriend in a Coma, it seemed to fit perfectly with my sense of humour. And then there are mentions of images of Moz with flowers and his interest in Oscar Wilde, that was something I knew nothing about, I had the idea he was a bit of a ‘laddish’ singer oddly!

So in February this year I saw the Smiths Greatest Hits at a ridiculously cheap price and thought I may as well give it a go, and to be honest it didn’t hit me immediately. I liked Girlfriend, and Heaven Knows, but it all kinda washed over me to start with. Little did I realise how much they were creeping into my subconscious! Then I went to visit my sister, and her boyfriend had a copy of Meat is Murder and I just thought, Wow! Just the title alone I thought was fantastic, that someone would be brave enough to release that! So that was my next purchase, but it really wasn’t until I bought ‘You Are The Quarry’ in May that I really fell for him. Yes, it’s only been since May, but he’s all I’ve listened to since then! I remember I’d ordered the CD and it came in the post in the morning but I didn’t have time to listen to it, and it was only as I was getting ready for bed that night I thought I may as well give it a brief listen. So I put it on, really liked the first track, really liked the second, loved the third and so on!! My attempts at going to sleep were forgotten, I just sat by my stereo in absolute delight and kept repeating ‘I Have Forgiven Jesus’, I thought his voice was divine. I played that album to death this summer, it’s definitely my favourite album of his I think, mostly because it was the first that really grabbed me by the throat and left me breathless. Even my mum loves it now and has just bought it as a present for my Uncle’s birthday which I think is fantastic! And I also lent it to by best friend and she’s really into him now, she just let me know she’s going to buy ROTT :D

Yeah, so if I’d have never been lent ‘The Wrong Boy’ I probably would still be largely oblivious to Moz which is a scary thought.

Just registered on this site today and i just wanna say how pleased i am that there are so many "new" Morrissey fans out there.

I really thought all Moz / Smiths fans were old buggers like me who havent been able to shake off this obsession since the eighties and really ought to have grown up by now!

I am so glad to be wrong!

For me i got into the Smiths on a 12 hour journey in a campervan in 1988 going down to Cornwall on holiday with two mates who were already converts - at the beginning of the journey i was pleading with them to turn it off - by the end i was discussing lyrics and requesting songs!

Morrissey has provided the soundtrack to my teenage and adult life so far and i feel very lucky.

About this time last year i heard Panic on the radio and enjoyed it especially the hang the DJ point i then heard a few other songs such as this charming man and there is a light, i also heard the more you ignore me and these songs got me hooked. I then purchased the very best of the smiths and the suedehead best of morrissey and the smiths/moz became my favourite artist.

It was in the winter of 1985. I went over with my best friend to his girlfriends place and as we were chatting I noticed a Smiths tape on a shelf. Obviously I had heard of the Smiths. I had seen Morrissey with the branch on Top of the Pops and This Charming Man, on The Tube, but I was
still stuck in a Dire Straits/Police rut. I was 17 after all, what did I know. I asked if I could borrow the tape. The next day I broke my ankle at college and was confined to my bedroom .Naturally I put on the tape and that was it. My Mum, busy hoovering up around me absolutely hated 'that bloke that conna sing' but I was instantly enraptured. Not only was the music light years ahead of the other stuff I was listening to but the singer had obviously come round to my house, read my diary, and decided to base his career on it. Once I was off my crutches I took to wandering the northern streets were I grew up 'brooding'. Fantastic. I bought the Queen is Dead from Woolworths and Strangeways from John Menzies. These were the only places where records could be bought in my time. Marvellous.

like 4 or 5 years ago well it was like 5:30 in the morning when my radio timer told me : why do you come here?... I was in between dreams,so I stayed like a stone,for the whole song, then I said WOW what was that!!!, I have listen to it before but I couldn't manage to know who it was then I forgot it....later that year a friend was singing Unhappy birthday and i said : from who is that?...he said The smiths, wanna listen? ...i went in and I said this is for me!!!

later that day I came to my house and anxiously downloaded the first songs in kazaa...this charming man,how soon is now,ask ,handsome devil,pretty girls make graves,suedehead,there is a light...well I couldn't stop...well I never stopped

Way back in 1983, an old mate of mine came round with the first two John Peel sessions on cassette. I was out of work at the time so we both just listened to them obsessively and quickly became addicted. I'm privileged to have seen them live before they really made it big in 1984 at Hull University, the night changed my life - they were just so brilliant! I saw The Smiths a few more times through most tours, but that first night, they were on the brink of brilliance - the whole crowd just knew that nothing could stand in their way. Despite of all of the ups and downs, I'm proud to be a serious Smiths/Morrissey fan. Fantastic memories!!:D :D :D

I think it's time to share it...
It was a year ago (or more), I was looking for NY Dolls. And on every website i opened i saw the name Morrissey.. On same day, it happened about 5 times or so. First it really turned me crazy, but than i couldn't resist. Next day i went to a Music Store and bought "You are the Quarry".. And than i for got the NY Dolls.. I know I'm a bad person.. :D

2003, Had a mate at school who was into the smiths and we used heaven knows i'm miserable now on our media studies project at the time. I remember thinking it was funny but I had little or no interest in any music at the time so I forgot about it.

A year later I was preparing for a month long holiday in central america with my family, far away from my dvd collection and PS2. I decided to buy some CDs for the trip to fill the void and saw "The Very Best Of The Smiths" going cheap.

Prior to this I had dropped out of my final year at school in an unmotivated whimper, was forgotten by most of my "friends" and spent 4 months alone and unemployed in my bedroom, then began working in a low-paid dead-end job. in a vegetarian restaurant. Connect the dots and you can make a photo of someone...

And guess what? Things have only went up since then.

There are some really nice stories on here, very interesting.

I got into Morrissey in quite an odd way- through reading ‘The Wrong Boy’ by Willy Russell! (Very much recommended btw). It’s a lovely book anyway, but it’s constructed through letters written to Morrissey, someone who I knew very little about, I just had a vague image of his existence- a jumble of odd snippets I’d heard about him. I didn’t even know he was the singer in the Smiths, eep. Anyway, these references to him throughout the book just got me so curious, there’s a part where a few Smiths songs are mentioned and I was totally intrigued to hear Girlfriend in a Coma, it seemed to fit perfectly with my sense of humour. And then there are mentions of images of Moz with flowers and his interest in Oscar Wilde, that was something I knew nothing about, I had the idea he was a bit of a ‘laddish’ singer oddly!

So in February this year I saw the Smiths Greatest Hits at a ridiculously cheap price and thought I may as well give it a go, and to be honest it didn’t hit me immediately. I liked Girlfriend, and Heaven Knows, but it all kinda washed over me to start with. Little did I realise how much they were creeping into my subconscious! Then I went to visit my sister, and her boyfriend had a copy of Meat is Murder and I just thought, Wow! Just the title alone I thought was fantastic, that someone would be brave enough to release that! So that was my next purchase, but it really wasn’t until I bought ‘You Are The Quarry’ in May that I really fell for him. Yes, it’s only been since May, but he’s all I’ve listened to since then! I remember I’d ordered the CD and it came in the post in the morning but I didn’t have time to listen to it, and it was only as I was getting ready for bed that night I thought I may as well give it a brief listen. So I put it on, really liked the first track, really liked the second, loved the third and so on!! My attempts at going to sleep were forgotten, I just sat by my stereo in absolute delight and kept repeating ‘I Have Forgiven Jesus’, I thought his voice was divine. I played that album to death this summer, it’s definitely my favourite album of his I think, mostly because it was the first that really grabbed me by the throat and left me breathless. Even my mum loves it now and has just bought it as a present for my Uncle’s birthday which I think is fantastic! And I also lent it to by best friend and she’s really into him now, she just let me know she’s going to buy ROTT :D

Yeah, so if I’d have never been lent ‘The Wrong Boy’ I probably would still be largely oblivious to Moz which is a scary thought.

I also read the book! Before that I didn't know anything about Morrissey, I just had heard his name sometimes. I read the book maybe in September (yes, 2006), then my sister read it and then we both went mad...

I lived in Paris exactly during the Smiths times and I swear I have never ever heard of them there. I was very much into music but the Smiths aparently weren't really popular there, or the radio did not play them. It was all 'the Police, Depeche Mode, Roxy Music' times - and of course the heavy metal crap. Where the hell where the Smiths? Why had we never heard of them???

So I got into them thru a guitar magazin called total guitar in the 90ies. I learned to play 'what difference does it make' and 'this ole house' without even knowing the songs - so I got the CDs later and liked the voice a lot.

It took me another decade to actually SEE what Morrissey looked like - to even know he had a solo career (he's also pretty much unknown in Austria) and read that Morrissey is an animal rights person like me and see how SEXY he is - and so now I'm in love :D

The first time I met "The Smiths", was due to a friends advice, in 1993, I then bought The smiths Best Of 2 ( the one with the girl smoking )....
But the first tune I remember hearing was a part of This Charming used here in Portugal to promote a Tv Commercial, that encouraged people to drink milk :p

The first time was durnig a vacation with other maladjusted youths in the late eighties. I remember listening "Asleep" again an again. Other thing I remember is that I was interested in a girl for first time and it was a dabacle . :eek:
Kind of scary...

Back
Top Bottom