"How Soon Is Never?"

iamkali62

A while ago, I ordered this book- and wondered if anyone else had read it-I still haven't gotten to the giant stack of books by my bedside so I haven't gotten into it yet. It's called, "How Soon Is Never? Features The Author's Uncut Interviews With Morrissey for Spin Magazine"- the publication date is: 2003. Well, it's basically set in the Reagan '80s and the protagnonist is a guy named Joe Green. "Hearing The Smiths for the first time jerks Joe awake. He destroys his Phil Collins cassettes, pomades his hair into New Wave submission, and falls in love. That is, until his favorite band in the world breaks up and breaks his heart. Fast-forward some fifteen years. Joe Green is making a living as a rock journalist, recovering from a wicked post-college smack addiction, and slumming with youngsters who ironically, "appreciate" the '80s music that once gave his life meaning. It's not too late to go home, or is it? What if Joe can get The Smiths back together? What if reuniting the long-broken up band can bring back the magic of his youth? "How Soon Is Never?" is an acerbic, ingenious look at Reagan-era adolescence, the power of hearing a record that changes your life, and the dangers of nostalgia. (Yes, I copied this from the back of the book.) The interview with Moz is quite funny. But I've got about five more books to go before tackling this one. Anyway, just wanted to know if anyone has read it, and what they thought of it if they did. Thanks. ( I admit the premise of this book is a little silly, but it might be good for a quick read.)

Yeah I have it but I haven't read it yet.

HoMS!!! WELCOME BACK!!!!
obscene-smiley-930.gif

Good and bad -see my post count??!

Glad to have you back. See you on the Frink?

Yeah, your post count is c-a-r-a-z-y! I hope everything is going ok with you. I've started collecting a lot of Smiths vinyl and it got me thinking about you guys, I am seeing pags this summer which is awesome. :) I'll be here from time to time. :D

Hi Kali, I read it a while ago - and I can't even remember the contents, so it wasn't too exciting. Best part of it is the Spin interview.

Being a bookworm myself, i'd love to know what else there is on your "pile of unread books"...:). I currently enjoy Hans Fallada (German writer whose name actually was Rudolf Wilhelm Ditzen) a lot, do you know him? He also wrote "Kleiner Mann - Was Nun?" (Little Man - What Now?) and I wonder if Moz had read that book or seen the film before penning the song...i doubt it.

love
-crsp-

Hi Kali, I read it a while ago - and I can't even remember the contents, so it wasn't too exciting. Best part of it is the Spin interview.

Being a bookworm myself, i'd love to know what else there is on your "pile of unread books"...:). I currently enjoy Hans Fallada (German writer whose name actually was Rudolf Wilhelm Ditzen) a lot, do you know him? He also wrote "Kleiner Mann - Was Nun?" (Little Man - What Now?) and I wonder if Moz had read that book or seen the film before penning the song...i doubt it.

love
-crsp-

Hello Walkers! Hans Fallada...what's his writing style like? No, unfortunately, I am not familiar with him...ahhhhh "Kleiner Mann- Was Nun" ("Little Man-What Now" ) I have a book by John Bejetman (one of M's favorite poets, and I've found lines that he's used there as well. Well, these are the books I have near my futon. They're basically for my writing exercise (which I haven't finished.) Okay, you asked for it! 1. "The Proud Highway- Saga Of A Desperate Southern Gentleman 1955-1967 by Hunter S. Thompson (my favorite author.) 2. "Write. 10 Days To Overcome Writer's Block. Period." by Karen S. Peterson. 3. "The Portable MFA in Creative Writing" by The New York Writers Workshop. 4. "Female Perversions-The Temptations Of Emma Bovary" by Louise J. Kaplan (fantastic book!), 5. "Lonely Planet Blue List. 618 Things To Do & Places To Go In '06-'07. 6. "The Kitchen Readings- Untold Stories Of Hunter S. Thompson" (HST killed himself in 2005 and Johnny Depp actually helped financially to build a giant cannon like object (the Gonzo Fist holding HST'S ashes.) and his ashes were blown all over his "Fortified Compound" in Woody Creek, CO.) 7. "The Areas Of My Expertise" which is hilarious. (makes a great bathroom book.) 8. "The Outlaw Bible Of American Poetry" 9. "The Decadent Reader- Fiction, Fantasy and Perversion From The Fin-De-Siecle-France." Whew! I agree, "How Soon Is Never" was really only interesting for the interviews in the back of the book. LOL, hope you didn't fall asleep during all of that! Some of these books are research for my writing exercise. But as I worship HST, I wanted to re read "The Proud Highway" again for the hell of it. Cheers! Love, K~

Last edited:
how soon is never was a great read.

the parts where he described being on morrissey's street were dead on.

i got all excited for the narrator as it was happening.

sad about the girl tho.

how soon is never was a great read.

the parts where he described being on morrissey's street were dead on.

i got all excited for the narrator as it was happening.

sad about the girl tho.

I concur. A really good read I thought

cossy:)

I read the entire thing on a flight one time, and I don't even really remember it to be honest. I remember bits and pieces being quite funny, like the fact that he's not an olympic swimmer, but I can't remember what happened near the end even, except that IT didn't happen.

I love this book, especially the first half, when Green tells how he became fond of Morrissey. Bu I can't understand why he didn't listen to Moz's solo work. However, it's certainly a good read.

Back
Top Bottom