"How to treat Morrissey? Stop listening to him" by Stewart Lee - The Guardian

Stewart Lee weighs in on Moz

How to treat Morrissey? Stop listening to him - The Guardian
By Stewart Lee
It’s hard when our idols disappoint us. But as it happened, my break from the former Smiths frontman came easily…

43445_david_foldvari_guardian.jpg

Illustration by David Foldvari.

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree, here is a simplified version Moz’s hierarchy on living things:
  1. Animals not human = love
  2. Humans he believes share with him some only in his head idea of Britishness = like
  3. Most other humans = meh
  4. Other forms of life = mmm, tasty
  5. Humans that eat animals = dislike to a mild, very British form of hate
  6. Lastly, those that he thinks are destroying the precious British idea he hold so dear = blinding fury and hate

I think it’s also worth remembering Noel Gallagher's summary of Morrissey after a night getting drunk with him & Russell Brand in L.A a couple of years ago:

“He doesn't have a good word to say about anyone, anything...... But he's an uber-legend. What a top man.”

(Said with the face of an elated manc mono-brow orphan finally meeting his daddy for the first time).

I said it was his words and not mine. And no, I don't agree with him.

But having said that I do like to read books by people I don't always agree with. I do it all the time. It's an intelligent option. People should do more of it - it would open their minds a bit in an age when people are clenching them closed.

100%.

Start with history and the classics of moral and political philosophy and work your way up. Throw in a good dose of the popular cultural work throughout and you’re on your way to understanding where we’re at now.

The rise and fall of past empires and dynasties are a mirror. Folks need to look into it.

...and travel outside one’s microcosmic universe is also an excellent thing. ;)

First of all, you seem to get quite a lot of your information for far-right websites and the Daily Mail, so I would pause before acknowledging anything you said as statistical fact.

That aside, the racist part isn't simply to do with whether what you are telling me is true or not. My main problem is: why are you telling me this? What could be motivating you apart from racism?

Maybe he's not racist. It may look like he's cherry-picking for racist reasons, but maybe he just thinks people that know each other raping each other is cool, unlike stranger rape.

Come on! Seriously? How much longer will people keep going on about this comment?

We all know how strongly Morrissey feels about the ethical treatment of animals. We could argue that it is his biggest passion in life. He makes bold statements to get his points across. He is simply attempting to express how strongly he feels about this topic. In his world-view there is nothing worse than, for example, skinning alive cats & dogs (by dipping them in boiling oil &, if that doesn’t kill them instantly,bash their brains in as you steal their coats in one swift & vicious gloved grip) & he believes that anybody who does such a thing is an evil, uncaring, inhuman scum bag. Or, simply a sub-species.

Morrissey did not say that he hates the Chinese. He has no ill-feeling towards them as a race BECAUSE OF THEIR RACE, his comment was based solely on their treatment of animals.

That is called context.

People should pay attention to such things before spouting off about how “Morrissey hates the Chinese cos he’s a racist & best friends with Tommy Robinson & blah blah unthinking blah”

All Morrissey said was, in essence: I hate people who hurt animals. Anybody who does that is inhuman.

If he’d have been talking about white Canadians clubbing seals & made the same subspecies comment, nobody would have batted an eye-lid, but the Chinese aren’t white, so he gets tarred with the racist brush. It’s ridiculous.

Morrissey is a man who stands by his morals & beliefs & doesn’t bow from expressing himself. He never has. He has always been brilliantly outspoken & it’s only reactionary people with inflexible minds who wish to quiet him.

Wonderful post, indeed the Chinese are not only Communists, a subspecies of humanity, but also
eat, not only dogs and cats but puppies:dogface: and kittens:catface:. They also eat :hamsterface: and:mouseface:, Moz is being contrite when he calls them a subspecies, I have a mind to call them worse. They eat :dolphin: Flipper and:rabbitface: bugs bunny they eat anything that moves. Bambi they shoot and eat.:forkknife: Horrendous place, way to go MOZ for calling it what it is:rock:

I think it’s also worth remembering Noel Gallagher's summary of Morrissey after a night getting drunk with him & Russell Brand in L.A a couple of years ago:

“He doesn't have a good word to say about anyone, anything...... But he's an uber-legend. What a top man.”

(Said with the face of an elated manc mono-brow orphan finally meeting his daddy for the first time).
Is Noel Gallagher a friend of Morrissey? I actually find Noel Gallagher for more obnoxious some of the stuff him and his brother Liam Gallagher come out with is shocking. Sorry but Noel might be making this up. Morrissey is a nice person.

Russell Brand worries me some of the things he does. I think he is a vegetarian.

I don't know that Morrissey drinks alcohol. You can get vegan and vegetarian alcohol.

Being slightly misanthropic hardly makes you a far-right racist, does it?

People are being way too critical of Morrissey's comments. To the point of hysteria.

Social media is clearly a mentally retarding pastime.

Maybe he's not racist. It may look like he's cherry-picking for racist reasons, but maybe he just thinks people that know each other raping each other is cool, unlike stranger rape.
No, my point is that to mention race in any context nowadays is akin to branding a swastika on your forehead and running down the street screaming Sieg Heil!

That is honestly how ridiculous people have become.

Stuart Lee compiled and wrote the sleevenotes to a compilation by The Fall, about 15 years ago. So, at the risk of him suing me, he's basically a version of Fiona Whatsname, but with an actual job in the media.

No, my point is that to mention race in any context nowadays is akin to branding a swastika on your forehead and running down the street screaming Sieg Heil!

I don't think so. You can mention race plenty. I just did it. What you will run into problems with is being racist. Not quite in any context, but in a lot of them.

I don't think so. You can mention race plenty. I just did it. What you will run into problems with is being racist. Not quite in any context, but in a lot of them.
Among whites in the UK it has become socially unacceptable to say anything, ever, that may even potentially tarnish the image of non-whites.

All such criticism, in any context, is unacceptable - and you will be ostracised for doing so.

That is my point. So, for example, if you mention something that is true but socially unacceptable then, by social law, you will be called a racist.

Last edited:
That is my point. So, for example, if you mention something that is true but socially unacceptable then, by social law, you will illogically be called a racist.
Yes, if you tell no lies but have a bee in your bonnet, that can make you a racist.

Again, though, believing any old crap you pick up off the internet is not the same as telling no lies.

Yes, if you tell no lies but have a bee in your bonnet, that can make you a racist.

Again, though, believing any old crap you pick up off the internet is not the same as telling no lies.
When I see Morrissey illogically and undeservedly accused of being a hateful racist, I naturally find that quite scandalous.

But again, in our conditioned times, to opinionate about this is to break a social rule.

You don't stick up for someone accused of racism - they're toxic now, so you mock them further.

For example, when you hear about the proliferation of Muslim rape gangs in England who prey on white girls, you keep it to yourself. That's the consensus. Because not doing so, and furthermore to deign to utter a complaint about it, puts you at risk of sounding critical of the Muslim community, which puts you at risk of sounding RACIST.

You keep your thought-crimes to yourself!

Morrissey broke this golden rule.

True rebel in an age when you're not allowed to be.

Last edited:

That is honestly how ridiculous people have become.

I am so glad to see that you rated my post funny. I wasn't sure if you had a sense of humor, but I am pleased to see that you do. There has been an increasing sensitization to anything left or right of center these days. It would be interesting to see how a Richard Pryor would be received in today's scrubbed down, homogenized, and sterilized cultural landscape.

Most hatred comes from a basic lack of understanding of others, and comedy shines a light on taboo subjects that often leads to a deeper discussion of the human condition. Viva Comedy! Now you can go back to tearing each others feathers out. ;)

It's mostly British people that are calling him racist. We know what it means in the US. Someone who has three men who are from Mexican and Columbian descent isn't racist where I come from.

It's mostly British people that are calling him racist. We know what it means in the US. Someone who has three men who are from Mexican and Columbian descent isn't racist where I come from.
Which is funny since the british have always been the most racist of all people since about the beginning of time not to mention the times of the empire.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom