I have two faces
One of which you know
The other one for your sake
I never would show
It's just because I love you
I cannot bear to be around you
And if only one or the other
Of us would drop down dead

You know how I'm real big into the whole hermetic androgyne thing? Two people as one, soul mates, linked through a cosmic breeze, Romulus and Remus and a gentle power struggle to declare who's going to be on top, blah, blah, blah? I found a fascinating passage in chapter 15 of Mark Booth's ginormous tome The Secret History of the World that kinda spot on explains this song. Or at least perhaps hints to the cosmic fabric that Morrissey was maybe touching when he wrote this song for the non-believers out there.

The secret tradition sometimes has a propensity to see how things are with a childlike simplicity.

The two Gospels with infancy narratives, Luke and Matthew, give very different, indeed inconsistant, accounts, starting with the different genealogies ascribed to Jesus, the time and place of births, and the visit by the shepards in Luke and by the Magi in Matthew. This is a distinction rigidly maintained in the art of the Middle Ages that has since been lost. While it may be glossed over in church, academic theologians accept that, were these accounts conflict, at least one must be false - perhaps and uncomfortable conclusion for anyone believing that the scripture is divinely inspired.

Except that in the secret tradtion, on the other hand, there is no problem, because these two narratives describe the infancies of two Jesus children. These boys had a mysterious kinship. They were not twins, though they looked almost identical.

In the Gnostic text the Pistis Sophia, contemporary with the canonical books of the New Testament - and considered by some scholars to have equal claim to authenticity - there is a strange story concerning these two children.

Mary sees a boy who looks so exactly like him that she naturally takes him to be her son. But then this boy disconcerts her by asking to see her son, Jesus. Fearing that this must be some sort of demon, she ties the boy to the bed, then goes into the fields looking for Joseph and Jesus. She finds them erecting vine poles. The three of them go back to the house. The boys gaze at each other, amazed, and embrace.

The secret tradition that traces the subtle, complex process by which human form and human consciousness was put together, has a parallel in its tracing of the extremely complex process by which the incarnation of the Word was brought about. In this account it was necessary for one of the two Jesus children, who carried the spirit of Krishna, to sacrifice his individual identity in some mysterious way for the sake of the other. THe spiritual economy of the cosmos required him to do this, so that the boy who survived would in time be ready to recieve the Christ-spirit at the Baptism. As the Pistis Sophia says, 'ye became one and the same being'.

This tradition of the two Jesus children was maintained by the secret societies and can be seen on the north portal at Chartes, in the apse mosaic of San Miniato outside Florence and in the paintings of many initiates, including Borgonone, Raphael, Leonardo and Veronese.

24352722.jpg

The interesting thing that Morrissey has figured out is that his twin is Sheila and the girl least likely to. She frustrates him and he wants either she or himself to drop dead...until there is an awareness that she is real and they are allowed to embrace. Until that time he struggles being her and himself at the same time in one body, the whole Pistis Sophia curse of 'ye became one and the same being' can be a drag for a boy who feels like a flipping girl half the time.

It's just a theory. :o

Last edited:
My theory is one is his public face which we all claim to like, and the other is his inner self which he views as hideous, so he keeps his hidden.

Not as complex as your theory....

One thing that has come across to me numerous times now is your propensity for reading way too much into things. You do so eloquently and with significant imagination, and it's never dull, but don't you think that sometimes a song is just a song?

I can't help but recall his lyrics to I'm Playing Easy To Get..."don't look for a secondary meaning; at worst you might just find a first."

I think that applies here.

I love I Am Two People, it's one of my favorite songs of his even though I know it gets slagged off a lot. I don't think there's anything hidden in the lyrics, just what jumps up at first listen: the narrator is pining away for the object of his affection, lamenting that she/he is only able to see one side of him...and yet even if he/she were able to see the other, truer side, their reaction would still be revulsion.

It's a beautiful lyric and melody, the sentiment is classic, and I'd place the Let Me Kiss You single as a worthy successor to both William and The Boy With The Thorn In His Side as far as flawless A-side/B-Side releases are concerned.

Okay. :p

I Love you
It's murder
I am two people
One you know - but don't like
The other one
You don't know
But you don't want to
I am two people
The other one
you don't know
But you don't want to
I love you
It's pointless
Oh my soul
If I live or I die this night
I am two people
The other one
You don't know
But you don't want to
I have two faces
One of which you know
The other one for your sake
I never would show
It's just because I love you
I cannot bear to be around you
And if only one or the other
Of us would drop down dead

You know how I'm real big into the whole hermetic androgyne thing? Two people as one, soul mates, linked through a cosmic breeze, Romulus and Remus and a gentle power struggle to declare who's going to be on top, blah, blah, blah? I found a fascinating passage in chapter 15 of Mark Booth's ginormous tome The Secret History of the World that kinda spot on explains this song. Or at least perhaps hints to the cosmic fabric that Morrissey was maybe touching when he wrote this song for the non-believers out there.

The interesting thing that Morrissey has figured out is that his twin is Sheila and the girl least likely to. She frustrates him and he wants either she or himself to drop dead...until there is an awareness that she is real and they are allowed to embrace. Until that time he struggles being her and himself at the same time in one body, the whole Pistis Sophia curse of 'ye became one and the same being' can be a drag for a boy who feels like a flipping girl half the time.

It's just a theory. :o

epicsmallcopp1.gif

I was a good kid
I wouldn't do you no harm

The interesting thing that Morrissey has figured out is that his twin is Sheila and the girl least likely to.

Sheila who? (perhaps more a hypothesis than a theory, which is something, I think, that artists commonly do: hypothesise. Also what do you think Oscar Wilde meant by this:
Religions die when they are proved to be true. Science is the record of dead religions.
(we can connect it in somehow! ;) ))

Sheila who? (perhaps more a hypothesis than a theory, which is something, I think, that artists commonly do: hypothesise.)

Sheila who took a bow. While tied to the bed post by her dark mother (who has a sway over her twin) she learned how to boot the grime of the world in the crotch. She's the half of Jesus on the left bowing. The other half is throwing the hierophant glyph. Two halves of Jesus, two seperate mothers, two babies yearning to be reunited amidst a setting of rock (& roll.)

Virgin-of-the-Rocks-London.jpg

That's a genius quote by Oscar Wilde, I have to work on that. :p

Speaking of Wilde, I just read his bio on wikipedia the other day. With regards to this song...

1/ Could Morrissey be singing about bunburying? As a Wilde fan, he'd obviously know about it. Perhaps he likes to *ahem* "roleplay"?

2/ Then there's the question of Wilde's private life...and the joke behind the rent-a-chap(s).

Sometimes being an English major who went to grad school to specialize in media criticism is NOT a good thing. I see too many connections that might be best ignored. But it sure can be fun!

Last edited:
Speaking of Wilde, I just read his bio on wikipedia the other day. With regards to this song...

1/ Could Morrissey be singing about bunburying? As a Wilde fan, he'd obviously know about it. Perhaps he likes to *ahem* "roleplay"?

2/ Then there's the question of Wilde's private life...and the joke behind the rent-a-chap(s).

Sometimes being an English major who went to grad school to specialize in media criticism is NOT a good thing. I see too many connections that might be best ignored. But it sure can be fun!

Hmmmm. Maybe?

1/ Could Morrissey be singing about...
2/ Then there's the question of Wilde's [!

Hardly. There's even a chance that he's noticing something he sometimes feels himself and sees in other people commonly, as simple as strong attraction to another person being tempered by awareness of one's own shortcomings.

Sheila who took a bow. While tied to the bed post by her dark mother (who has a sway over her twin) she learned how to boot the grime of the world in the crotch. She's the half of Jesus on the left bowing. The other half is throwing the hierophant glyph. Two halves of Jesus, two seperate mothers, two babies yearning to be reunited amidst a setting of rock (& roll.)

:sweet: :D Thank you.

It's a brain-twister, isn't it? I pasted a paragraph already in the God... thread from a book by philosopher, A.C. Grayling, "The Meaning of Things" that might have something to do with it (except that Wilde was as keen on religion, having really suffered for a lifelong wish to convert to Catholicism, as on science, meeting Edison, attending world exhibitions etc)?

Religion is the legacy of our caveman ancestors. Religious beliefs constituted their science, religious practices their higher technology. As the former it offered them explanations of wind and storm, the origin of the world, the meaning of the stars. As the latter it offered a means of avoiding drought, curing illness, and winning wars - by prayer, sacrifice, and the careful observance of taboos and rituals, all aimed at pleasing or at least appeasing the mysterious and often terrible forces which seemed to them to govern the world.

God, accordingly, is the name of our ignorance. As real knowledge and mastery advance, there is diminishing need to invoke supernatural agencies to explain the world. Deities inhabit the dark places over the horizon of knowledge, and retreat as light approaches...
:ha-no: :confused: :)

Back
Top Bottom