Morrissey Central "IRISH BL❤️❤️D" (January 18, 2024)

I can't wait til Trump becomes 47 and he drains the f***ing swamp!!!!! :rock:

Well, that's 'Panic' banned for a start. How are lyrics like 'Burn down the disco' and 'Hang the DJ' anything other than inciting hatred and violence against others? :unsure:
Maybe works of art are excluded?

Literature should not be edited to please the woke, it is not 'progress'. Are you seriously saying censoring Mark Twain is progress? It is REGRESSION and OPPRESSIVE. This reminds me of the recent critcisms of Lolita, it is a story, not a tale of morality. Even Nabokov has said it's not a tale of morality.
Art should not be judged from this 'moral' point of view. The N word in Twain's work is appropriate for the time it was written, and should not be judged by today's standards. And also, let's not forget that these same 'children' who are reading the N word in great works of art are also listening to it in crap rap music, so seriously, what is the real issue here?
Black people have reclaimed that word from their oppressors and they’re not using it in a derogatory manner. It has completely different connotations when a white person is using it. I myself find it very easy to accept this. I don’t have a strong urge or need to go around saying the n-word.

But I do however agree with you. It is insane to go back and change historical works of art.

So now in this hypothetical world, full of offensive speech, whose terms have not been defined, Morrissey should be jailed for National Front Disco, because people misunderstood it.
I find it absolute bullshit that anyone could have misuderstood that song, he is very clear in what he is saying, but if the government or whoever decides these things decides they are offended, it's punishable.
Do some of you even get what you are asking for? It is seriously frightening.

Maybe works of art are excluded?
Artistic expression is included as a defence - but it wouldn't stop someone from being prosecuted under the act. And the onus is on the accused to prove that what was said consisted solely of a reasonable and genuine contribution to literary, artistic, political, scientific, religious, or academic discourse.

It's kind of funny that you are promoting draconian legislation that you clearly know very little about.

It has completely different connotations when a white person is using it. I myself find it very easy to accept this. I don’t have a strong urge or need to go around saying the n-word.
Does it? Who says?
So a black person can use the word, but a white person can't? What about someone of mixed heritage? Can they use the word?
Isn't that the definition of racism? That the colour of your skin determines whether you can or cannot do or say something?

Artistic expression is included as a defence - but it wouldn't stop someone from being prosecuted under the act. And the onus is on the accused to prove that what was said consisted solely of a reasonable and genuine contribution to literary, artistic, political, scientific, religious, or academic discourse.

It's kind of funny that you are promoting draconian legislation that you clearly know very little about.

I’m just trying to reason and not be alarmist.

Does that mean, ironically, it'd be a crime for a Zionist to say there isn't a genocide going on in Gaza/Palestine? What about the ethnic cleansing of Russians in Ukraine since 2014? Or the ethnic cleansing of Serbs in Kosovo and Serbian Krajina? Talk about how the tables have turned lol, these laws can be weaponized against anyone in theory
Exactly that. Owen Jones had better be careful if he steps off a plane in Ireland, minimising the attacks on 7th October. This explains why Sinn Féin have been blowing hot and cold on supporting the legislation. They realise they could be prosecuted under this legislation for denying war crimes in Northern Ireland. It really could be weaponised in all sorts of ways.
And also, merely saying trans women aren't women would almost certainly be considered as hate speech under this legislation.

Does it? Who says?
So a black person can use the word, but a white person can't? What about someone of mixed heritage? Can they use the word?
Isn't that the definition of racism? That the colour of your skin determines whether you can or cannot do or say something?
Please, go ahead and call black people n****r.

Please, go ahead and call black people n****r.
You know I wasn't saying that.
But I'm with Lenny Bruce. Why make these words into the worst thing you can possibly call someone? Let's reduce the power to hurt these words possess, and not increase their power to hurt.

I used to be somewhat for the policing of speech. It's not much fun to have certain insults hurled at you.

But ultimately, the government regulating speech is a bigger problem than being called a fagg*t.

People can usually work out intent by the tone & context - unless they're they're being over-sensitive or want to cause trouble.

No one likes someone who cries wolf - so it'll sort itself out.

This is another poorly judged and ill-informed move by Morrissey. Making a legitimate statement about Hate Speech Legislation is one thing ( and there are many questions be asked about what is planned) but to circulate content from Free Speech Ireland is another thing. If you look at who is involved in that organisation they would not exactly be friends of the Gay community...

I don’t understand that people don’t understand how dangerous this is. Do you think governments will only use this legislation to get people to be nicer to each other? The government will be able to decide in a whim what is and isn’t hate speech. What makes people so sure that, say, voicing concerns about forced vaccinations won’t be classed as hate speech? Voicing concerns about free and fair elections? Voicing concerns about war? This legislation gives them full control of the narrative. Wake the f*** up!

The other major problem is social media.

A group of women chatting online about their concerns over gender should never lead to a prosecution - but when it's been turned into a business model that needs outage on a daily basis, then there's problems.

If you're sharing videos about crimes committed by trans people millions of times you're teaching people to afraid of, & disgusted by, all trans people & that will lead to real world negative consequences, while some horrendous podcaster gets paid for it.

You know I wasn't saying that.
But I'm with Lenny Bruce. Why make these words into the worst thing you can possibly call someone? Let's reduce the power to hurt these words possess, and not increase their power to hurt.
But who gets to decide?

For the record, I just want us to reason about this. Apply some critical thinking and not jump to the conclusion that it’s 100 percent awful or 100 percent great.

Back
Top Bottom