Linder and Morrissey in the bathroom...

King Leer

Leering since '97
An interesting tidbit from a poster over at Momus' blog.

Someone let me in on a some little known information.. it seems that Morrissey's muse shares a mutual friend with Howard. IN fact if anyone saw "24 hour party people" it wasn't supposed to be Howard in the bathroom with Linder Sterling but in fact Morrissey.. sadly someone who was curently involved had some powerful connections and said to change it or they would be sued, and the film never made.. so they changed it to Howard and then for some reason it was OK, although as Linder and Howard said, totally fictional.

I thought that linder's scene was cut entirely. Didn't morrissey totally withhold his music and any mention of him because it didn't cast her in a good light?

i know it's been a few years, but i don't remember her being mentioned, but now I want to go back and rent it.

Is this a cut scene that's in the UK 2-disc version of the DVD?

I really need to get that UK DVD.

I saw it on Japanese DVD and clearly remember a scene where T.Wilson goes to the loo and finds Howard Devoto snogging his woman. I don't recall that woman being Linder, or that Wilson and Linder were ever together in the first place. I'd have to see it again. Maybe what the poster meant was that both characters were changed...?

I do remember seeing a tiny still of the actor they got to play the young Morrissey. It was an OK approximatlon, but his footage never made the cut. Apparently you can briefly see "Morrissey" when the cast of characters (dead and alive) appear on the dancefloor of the Hacienda toward the end of the film.

It's Wilson's first wife Linsay and Devote, not Linder.

When I went to see the film it happened to be Mark E Smith was staying in my collegue's flat. Knowing about the presence of Smith in London, just less than a mile from the cinema, was one of the bizarrest memories in last five years.

That's right -- thanks. If it was actually Morrissey with her in the bog, that might explain the distaste Wilson has had for him until this day (never mind one-act plays about toast).

Ohhhh that's right. The Linder confused me.

No way! That was supposed to be Moz and Tony's wife?!
How crazy!

I know they quickly cut to the real Devoto (who makes a cameo as the janitor) and he swears it wasn't him.
Gosh, so was it really Morrissey, erm, excuse me, Steven?

How about that video I posted on youtube with Tony Wilson interviewing The Smiths, including Morrissey. (Wilson still called him Steven)

morrissey_james_cartwright.jpg

The Steven character.

There is still the movie site available, and it had all the cameos and minor characters' bios. I can't find it now with the correct link...

EDIT:

Found it:

http://www.partypeoplemovie.com/film_sub.php?section=1&subsection=8&article_id=31

You can see the rest of the cameos (including Devoto) on the left.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom