Meeting Morrissey

Re: I will get a moz signature tattooed on me this week...

yeah that was my plan, try to at bowery, if it fails, just get on the bus to philly right then and there. Also, jimmy fallon monday is another option for me!!!!

I might try for standby tickets for that one... depends on just how much energy i have left after this weekend... and how much work i have to catch up with. I don't much enjoy the tv appearances because it feels much less intimate than a show. good luck man.

Just before the concert on Monday we were lining up in front of the Wellmont Theater. At one point while aimlessly walking around I saw Morrissey walking down the street into a back alley for the soundcheck. That was just around the corner from where all the fans were queuing since early morning. So I ran towards him only to be stopped by one of his bodyguards who told me "Dont even think about it." So I said "Fine, fine." and pretended to walk away. Meanwhile Morrissey was already going through the side entrance when 2 more fans managed to hand him a CD to sign catching the attention of his security. So I just walked towards him and not knowing what to do stretched my hand through the security guys. He took it, looked at me and I told him I loved him. He had this understanding yet surprised look on his face when I did that, I will never forget it.

Just before the concert on Monday we were lining up in front of the Wellmont Theater. At one point while aimlessly walking around I saw Morrissey walking down the street into a back alley for the soundcheck. That was just around the corner from where all the fans were queuing since early morning. So I ran towards him only to be stopped by one of his bodyguards who told me "Dont even think about it." So I said "Fine, fine." and pretended to walk away. Meanwhile Morrissey was already going through the side entrance when 2 more fans managed to hand him a CD to sign catching the attention of his security. So I just walked towards him and not knowing what to do stretched my hand through the security guys. He took it, looked at me and I told him I loved him. He had this understanding yet surprised look on his face when I did that, I will never forget it.

Warms the heart that story. :)

waited an hour before at the buses and were too late, he was already doing a sound check which we heard through the door next to the bus... waited a good hour after the show at the buses. the venue's security blocked off the path until equipment was loaded and after first bus left. band claimed they didn't know where Morrissey was but that he had likely already left, they were on second bus. the rest of the crew said Morrissey had already left, on the first bus. third bus, closest to door, sat without running the whole time. then security said oops, he was on the first bus.

we saw Morrissey get on the second bus, or so we thought.

there was a bus numbered 1 and another with an A on it. don't know the other. which one is HIS bus?

anyway, if it was Moz we saw get on the bus, he didn't want anything to do with the handful of people waiting in the freezing cold to see him.

i waited 25 years, didn't get to even shake his hand.

oh well, worth freezing and missing the encore (we left early to stalk the back of the venue, blocking the buses in, there was only one way out and we could not have missed him).

edit: this was tonight's show in Buffalo

Last edited:
Morrissey doesn't always attend sound check, from what I gather.

On the last tour I did wait outside the Boston venue (Orpheum Theater) because it has an unusual layout, in that there is no stage entrance. Everyone, including crew and talent, has to enter through the front, main entrance. They park tour buses in front of the venue, as well, which is down an alley between two more modern buildings (the Orpheum is 19th century, stuck in the middle of a downtown shopping district and now attached to a mall and an office building).

I waited there from about 3:00, and saw Jesse, Boz, and Matt walking to and from the bus, which sat there idling for EVER (hope Moz, Inc. is buying carbon offsets for these tours), but no sign of Morrissey all afternoon. At about 7pm (show was at 8:00), my friend and I saw a bunch of activity that made it seem like they were about to bring Morrissey in (security people all along the alley, including Arturo, police car, etc, etc) but it turned out to be nothing. My guess was that he came in later, perhaps pretty shortly before he was scheduled to perform.

So, that was my experience. I wouldn't bother with a stage door hangout again, unless I were interested in meeting the band or even the opening band.

--jeniphir

during the last tour my friend and i flew down to st louis. we were there for most of the day in the line up but made friends with some people who agreed to keep our place if we would theres. so we frequently stalked the back entrances (there were 2) to see if we could see him coming in at all and give him a couple of gifts we brought for him (it was the birthday show). eventually the two tour buses arrived and we ran to the back. because there were two entrances we had to make a choice of which one he would be at. unfortunately, we chose the one that arturo was standing around and we were sorely mistaken. morrissey got off the bus right away and was whisked inside.

we had better luck after the show. it didn't take long for a barricade to be set up as more and more people hung out in the back. we chose the entrance he came in earlier that day and we were right. he came out very quickly with security and his assistant and hugged the man beside me and my friend who stood close to the tour bus got a handshake. he might have signed things but it all happened so quickly i don't remember.

what an amazing show though!

Oh man... this video makes me queezy. Our man Morrissey is polite, but probably wants to stab this paparazzi guy.
Nice leather seats in the car lol not the first time ive seen this with moz, tut tut ! thats why i dont care what people say about my leather car interior when they find out iam a morrissey/smiths fan! i usally get the "shouldnt u be a veggy" i have to tell them i like morrissey but iam not him!

waited outside for a bunch of hours outside the side entrence at the academy of music, moz signed 3 of our arms. My friend and I got tattooed immedietly thereafter and made it back Right in time for his set.
Craziest day ever.

Last edited:
waited outside for a bunch of hours outside the side entrence at the academy of music, 3 moz signed 3 of our arms. My friend and I got tattooed immedietly thereafter and made it back Right in time for his set.
Craziest day ever.

I love how you said on the last page you were gonna do it and now it is done.

Congrats!!!! :guitar:

waited outside for a bunch of hours outside the side entrence at the academy of music, moz signed 3 of our arms. My friend and I got tattooed immedietly thereafter and made it back Right in time for his set.
Craziest day ever.

No water wings for you, jumped right into the deep end. :thumb: Way to live in the moment! :guitar: Please post a pic of your ink soon!

Craziest day ever.

hardcore!

I was rather spoilt with my first meeting wit Moz. It was on the Aston Villa date of the boxers tour back in 95. I had arrived quite early and was towards the front of the que, it was still rather early and there were only about 30 of us there when i got approached by James O Brien who was directing the Introducing Morrissey video and he asked me if when Morrissey arrived would i go in and be filmed with him......Would i. So i waited all afternoon getting more and more nervous and finally at around 6.30 i got taken in to the venue and introduced to Moz, the shots that were filmed never ended up in the video but it didn't matter as after filming i got to spend a good 10 mins in conversation just Morrissey and i, he also signed my arm under the tattoo of his face that i had done a few years before. After Morrissey had left the room i was asked to sign a disclosure and then got paid £40 for it.:thumb:

anyone have tips for post-show meeting at webster hall or carnegie hall?
although i might just die then and there if i do actually meet him haha

I waited outside of Letterman in 2007. Saw him coming out of his car said hey. He nodded...and continued walking. I had a cd to get signed but he is too quick..oh well! ;)

A bunch of us waited inside/outside NBC studios on Monday after Jimmy Fallon but he snuck out the bottom parking garage entrance which we all suspected would happen.

Two tours ago I hung out by the stage door before and after his show at Radio City Music Hall in NYC. I saw Boz Boorer go in and come out with some guitars from across the street where I was standing. After the show, Moz came out and just put his hand up to acknowledge the crowd standing there and then went right into the car that was waiting for him inches from the door.

Craziest day ever.

What time was that? I was staying on Chestnut St just round the corner and wondered if I may run into him as I was walking past during the afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom