"Morrissey: lunatic seer of the modern world" - Unherd (May, 6, 2020)

1. Comments about the Chinese - but their practices in wet markets are barbaric and have probably caused a bat virus to jump from one species to another and cause a global pandemic. If that doesn't deserve hyperbolic language I don't know what does.
2. Stupid remarks about immigration - London has changed; England has changed; Europe has changed. There may be some positives to immigration. Do you not admit there may be some negatives too?
3. The belief expressed in song that Bengalis don't belong here - it's a song, dummy.
4. England being for the English - ditto.
5. Reggae being vile - so he made a throwaway comment about not being a fan of reggae. By the late 1980s reggae had definitely deteriorated as a genre. But he also then went on to sign with Attack, a reggae record label and part of Trojan Records: Morrissey proved himself to be a connoisseur of our Trojan Records catalogue and expressed an interest in using the Attack label for the release of his records (Merck Mercuriadis).
6. Having to be black to get on top of the pops - that's just funny.
7. Officially endorsed a far-right party - far-right is debatable, but he has endorsed a party that wants to ban all non-stunned animal slaughter in the UK. It's clearly a subject Moz cares about.
8. Said he prefers his own race - he didn't say he prefers his own race, he said 'everyone ultimately prefers their own race'. Whilst the word race is not a scientific term, that human beings prefer people who are like them is a fact well recognised by anthropology and psychology. If you can't face facts then you're in trouble.

The top of the pops thing was a moan about producers booking more soul acts than Indie bands. Which going by the repeats was a fair point, thought not diplomatic.

Bengali In Platforms is a narrative song, not a polemic. But it's very like Irish songs about the diaspora yearning for the old country & the CURSE of emigration. I can't tell you how unavoidable these songs are. You move to another country & you're treated badly & YOU DIE. (also those platform boots are so detailed, it must be based on something in real life or on t.v.).

Last edited by a moderator:
We were talking about the comment about China, it was one comment & it has been misquoted.

Most of his comments have been taken out of context & twisted.

A lot of his fans still love him.

He'll recover.

You keep saying he will recover. It’s been 2 years now and there has been no sign of any recovery, so how do you think he is going to recover?

You keep saying he will recover. It’s been 2 years now and there has been no sign of any recovery, so how do you think he is going to recover?
Rather than him being about to recover, the complete opposite is the case.
It's only in 2020 that the chickens are finally coming home to roost. 30 years of borderline ambiguous/ unpleasant/ill-informed views on race, immigration and nationalism, with people just about giving him the benefit of the doubt. All doubt is removed when he instructs everyone via his own personal website to vote for a far-right political party (and they are far-right, for the f***wits out there who don't understand politics - abandon inheritance tax = protect the rich, flat rate of income tax = protect the rich, divert foreign-aid budget to military expenditure = classic right-wing ideology, deny climate crisis and end environmental taxes = ditto).
So, 30 years of ambiguity has ended and now the consequences are reaped. Mass desertion by fans unequalled in musical history other than for Gary Glitter and Michael Jackson.
400,000 sales for You are the Quarry in the UK. 40,000 for High School. Less than 10,000 sales for Dog on a String. Radio stations throughout the land effectively introduce a boycott of all new songs. Indie night clubs proudly declaring themselves to be Morrissey-free zones. Music websites and record shops refusing to stock his stuff. Advertising space owners blah blah blah, we've been through all this before. We all know what's happened.
He might one day be able to turn things around but not without a complete and unequivocal retraction of his support for far-right politics, and an admission of his own spectacular lack of political understanding and awareness.

We were talking about the comment about China, it was one comment & it has been misquoted.

Most of his comments have been taken out of context & twisted.

A lot of his fans still love him.

He'll recover.

Let's see how his recovery is going. Today on Twitter, posts in the past hour or so.

sometimes I’m listening to the Smiths and then I remember that morrissey is a garbage ultra conservative now smh
11:19 PM · May 8, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

morrissey youre a whiny little bitch. you wrote an entire song about how much you hate boobs? f*** you morrissey. this page is dedicated to hating morrissey for reasons other than his racism and disgusting comments and idealogies
11:01 PM · May 8, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

there's nothing i love more than hating on morrissey's racist ass
10:58 PM · May 8, 2020·Twitter Web App

i love the smiths too but i CANNOT STAND MORRISSEY the motherf***er is needlessly horrible :/ oh my god he f***ing would, i have never hated someone more than him why is he Like That

see you KNOW when i f***ing hate someone because i have vented about morrissey's dumb ass to my twin brother, i told him about what morrissey said about chinese people and we have both decided that he deserves the worst
10:56 PM · May 8, 2020·Twitter Web App

Not going so well, is it? He's somehow managed to attract the hatred of a huge group of people, some old fans, some not. He's become synonymous with racism and right wing hate. Like the corona virus, it's not going to just go away. He'll have to actively fight this.

Let's see how his recovery is going. Today on Twitter, posts in the past hour or so.

sometimes I’m listening to the Smiths and then I remember that morrissey is a garbage ultra conservative now smh

morrissey youre a whiny little bitch. you wrote an entire song about how much you hate boobs? f*** you morrissey. this page is dedicated to hating morrissey for reasons other than his racism and disgusting comments and idealogies

i love the smiths too but i CANNOT STAND MORRISSEY the motherf***er is needlessly horrible :/ oh my god he f***ing would, i have never hated someone more than him why is he Like That

see you KNOW when i f***ing hate someone because i have vented about morrissey's dumb ass to my twin brother, i told him about what morrissey said about chinese people and we have both decided that he deserves the worst

Not going so well, is it? He's somehow managed to attract the hatred of a huge group of people, some old fans, some not. He's become synonymous with racism and right wing hate. Like the corona virus, it's not going to just go away. He'll have to actively fight this.
Have a look at yourself for posting those quotes from illiterate louts on antisocial media, look at the language their using? How could anyone take your point seriously or theirs for that matter? It's really laughable, hahahahaha!

Rather than him being about to recover, the complete opposite is the case.
It's only in 2020 that the chickens are finally coming home to roost. 30 years of borderline ambiguous/ unpleasant/ill-informed views on race, immigration and nationalism, with people just about giving him the benefit of the doubt. All doubt is removed when he instructs everyone via his own personal website to vote for a far-right political party (and they are far-right, for the f***wits out there who don't understand politics - abandon inheritance tax = protect the rich, flat rate of income tax = protect the rich, divert foreign-aid budget to military expenditure = classic right-wing ideology, deny climate crisis and end environmental taxes = ditto).
So, 30 years of ambiguity has ended and now the consequences are reaped. Mass desertion by fans unequalled in musical history other than for Gary Glitter and Michael Jackson.
400,000 sales for You are the Quarry in the UK. 40,000 for High School. Less than 10,000 sales for Dog on a String. Radio stations throughout the land effectively introduce a boycott of all new songs. Indie night clubs proudly declaring themselves to be Morrissey-free zones. Music websites and record shops refusing to stock his stuff. Advertising space owners blah blah blah, we've been through all this before. We all know what's happened.
He might one day be able to turn things around but not without a complete and unequivocal retraction of his support for far-right politics, and an admission of his own spectacular lack of political understanding and awareness.
Take covaaahhh lads, Mr Crashing Bore is standing on his garage roof talking to himself again!

Not that the 'my view is correct, you are all wrong' stuff interests me, but a quick look at the current usage of the hashtag 'Morrissey' on Twitter, Facebook & Instagram will demonstrate why cherry picking certain posts to bolster a narrative is futile and probably not the way to make a point. If anything, the positive far outweighs the negative on a frequency and quantity basis.
Regards,
FWD.

That kind of stuff has been uttered for decades. It was parodied in the early 90s in Viz comic—with their ‘Morrissey is a Twat’ headline. Social media is the only difference: what was once uttered by parents in pubs, c.1992, can now be shared with the world. And in the bubble, it seems like the only opinion out there.

It’s still funny though. And it still makes me happy to be a Morrissey fan.

That kind of stuff has been uttered for decades. It was parodied in the early 90s in Viz comic—with their ‘Morrissey is a Twat’ headline. Social media is the only difference: what was once uttered by parents in pubs, c.1992, can now be shared with the world. And in the bubble, it seems like the only opinion out there.

It’s still funny though. And it still makes me happy to be a Morrissey fan.

Social media is a hate-fest. Every celebrity gets disgusting comments made about them.

I know he's recovering because I can mention him without pushback & often with positive feedback in my arty social circle, something that was a lot more contentious previously.

The shock's worn off, he's as odd & as animal obsessed as he ever was & he's not doubled down on anything except the animals.

If he did media, it would be faster. But it's happening anyway.

Social media is a hate-fest. Every celebrity gets disgusting comments made about them.

I know he's recovering because I can mention him without pushback & often with positive feedback in my arty social circle, something that was a lot more contentious previously.

The shock's worn off, he's as odd & as animal obsessed as he ever was & he's not doubled down on anything except the animals.

If he did media, it would be faster. But it's happening anyway.

Ah, as long as you know that's alright then.

A hate song about boobs. This?

Yes, the misogynistic revision preceded the latest racist slander. Hilarious, isn’t it? I dare say Bodies, by The Sex Pistols, has also irked the snowflakes.

Yes, the misogynistic revision preceded the latest racist slander. Hilarious, isn’t it? I dare say Bodies, by The Sex Pistols, has also irked the snowflakes.

What really irks me about 'snowflakery' is that it's all fake for their platforms. Every last one of them could be destroyed by their private messages being made public. They're about as clean as mud wrestling.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Comments about the Chinese - but their practices in wet markets are barbaric and have probably caused a bat virus to jump from one species to another and cause a global pandemic. If that doesn't deserve hyperbolic language I don't know what does.
2. Stupid remarks about immigration - London has changed; England has changed; Europe has changed. There may be some positives to immigration. Do you not admit there may be some negatives too?
3. The belief expressed in song that Bengalis don't belong here - it's a song, dummy.
4. England being for the English - ditto.
5. Reggae being vile - so he made a throwaway comment about not being a fan of reggae. By the late 1980s reggae had definitely deteriorated as a genre. But he also then went on to sign with Attack, a reggae record label and part of Trojan Records: Morrissey proved himself to be a connoisseur of our Trojan Records catalogue and expressed an interest in using the Attack label for the release of his records (Merck Mercuriadis).
6. Having to be black to get on top of the pops - that's just funny.
7. Officially endorsed a far-right party - far-right is debatable, but he has endorsed a party that wants to ban all non-stunned animal slaughter in the UK. It's clearly a subject Moz cares about.
8. Said he prefers his own race - he didn't say he prefers his own race, he said 'everyone ultimately prefers their own race'. Whilst the word race is not a scientific term, that human beings prefer people who are like them is a fact well recognised by anthropology and psychology. If you can't face facts then you're in trouble.
Most of us are most comfortable around our own species. I can't fault your argument and can see the thinking that leads to supporting Morrissey's statements, but I can't. It's just assholism. Maybe he isn't a dyed in the wool card carrying racist, but he's an asshole without a doubt.

FFS everybody is making Moz songs on these videos. AlainT is doing complete acoustic concerts of Moz songs. The twat :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: cant stop making Moz songs on his dumb videos. why not do some of his sucky songs like European Me or that silly Arabmephobia? Moz is running the Game from the top while these twats continue to live off his reflection.

Now that Hooky has been cut down from 12% to 1.2% by that other lout, Bernard, he probably will be making Moz video songs to. All twats ruled by Moz?‍♀️

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom